Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #21
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dege View Post
It uses GCVWR. I actually found a web page dedicated to lawyers and the author was reminding lawyers when pursuing a lawsuit make sure to check the GVWR and GCVWR and not use actual weights because if they are high enough it could turn the vehicle into a commercial vehicle. I guess they can ask for more damages then?

In your example you have to use the GCVWR. Not actual to compute if you are over the 26001lb limit.

Another example I saw was if your vehicle does not have the label inside the door with the weights, the state will assume you were over limit. Crazy stuff.
So if you are over 26001 lbs what is the next step. Do you pay a higher price for your tag or are you just required to have a commercial class A? I just moved my home of residence from Florida to Georgia this year and haven't applied for new tags yet. Or changed my drivers license (Class A Interstate CDL) or CWP so wondering what to expect. I weighed my F-350 and Fuzion 405 in December and it was 26020.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #22
Dege

That's a good question. Here is what Georgia says about the driver's license: Wrap your head around that

Class E (Non-commercial) – Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Includes vehicles in Classes F and C. Must be at least 18 years of age, pass a knowledge and skill test, and possess a valid Class C license when applying.

Class F (Non-commercial) – Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Includes vehicles in Class C. Must be at least 18 years of age, pass a knowledge and skill test, and possess a valid Class C license when applying.

Class C (Non-Commercial and Commercial) - Any single vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 26,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, not in excess of 10,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating, not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance. Includes three-wheeled vehicles using a steering wheel.

Link to the site with more info: https://dds.georgia.gov/license-classes
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am on a 75 mb/ps fiber connection and my ISP is smokin! Just makes me feel like an idiot when the next 17 posters say the same darn thing. I expect mean treatment from Javi but not my bud flybouy! Hope you are feeling good these days.... by the way, when I went into the tax office to register my current camper, they looked it up and administratively assigned a weight of something like 4000 lbs so I don't have to ever get it safety inspected. There is a weight cut off but at 4K lbs, why care? Anyway, sounds like our friend from GA is on the road and cruising although he has more patience than I would have sitting in a DMV then in a DPS office all morning. I reckon Texas may not be as fussy as some states and glad they are not going to make me take a Class A non-comm license test. I took the Class B exempt test and it wasn't fun.
Who knows. I know with my "numb and dumb" fingers typing on this tablet is clumbsy and slow.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Dege,
You fell into the Comm vehicle stuff and passenger vehicle stuff as some do. Been talked about on here many times and that's okay, but very confusing. Confusing to normal people and cops when you ask the wrong type of enforcement cops. Most Regular cops know nothing about comm vehicles laws. Comm vehicle cops know little to nothing about pickups. That's what we are talking about here PICKUPs not trucks and pickups used for NON comm reasons.
The laws and rules are apples to oranges.
I think you got all the information you needed before my post, but explaining why you have had problems.
Trucks and pickups: Feds through DOT only care about 26,001 bs plus.
States make their own laws, every state. But must adopt DOTs laws.
No point on a RV form to attempt to go through Comm vehicle stuff it does not apply. Unless you are a "for hire" driver transporting RVs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #25
Dege

I truly don't think it wouldn't have been this hard to figure out if the truck dealer in the beginning hadn't spooked me with saying anything over 10,000 lbs GVWR will be a pain to register. Not true. And when I called Georgia DOT someone there that didn't know what they were talking about told me my truck fell under the DOT regulations pertaining to commercial vehicles which it clearly does not. Started tilting at wind mills for a while but finally just drove to the DMV and Georgia Highway Patrol offices and stayed til I had answers. What a goat rope! Happy ending though I think We will see what happens.
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #26
Javi

Georgia's class E is the same as Texas class A...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
rhagfo

Her in Oregon no special license or tab if over 26,000#, for a RV non commercial.I asked and got an emailed response.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #28
Ken / Claudia

Your confused mess is what I have dealt with during part of my 39 years as a cop in Oregon.
So, just to keep the waters muddy, I am only mentioning Oregon. Remember each state has different rules and enforcement.
Oregon State Police are trained in US and Oregon DOT, as a few other police in some cities. Oregon mainly uses a whole different enforcement dept. for 99% of DOT enforcement. It is "Motor Carrier Enforcement." Those folks know trucks not pickups and only trucks "for hire" ie commcerial use vehicles, not pickups pulling RVs. Those folks in "MCE" only work at truck scales and only weight, comm trucks. The police is who stops and inspects and cites any vehicle rolling on a roadway, comm truck or not.
The laws are different completely different when speaking trucks and pickups.
Stop calling your pickup a truck when you ask people in authority.
Your salesperson was wrong, as many are. I have met many and few admit to not knowing a answer and make stuff up to sell a vehicle.
Going to DOT with questions about a pickup threw the guy into an unknown. His mind is all about Comm trucks all day.
DMV knows NON comm. vehicles only. They are named passenger vehicles and some of those are pickups. Not trucks.
The State Police or Highway patrol is as you found out the place normally to get the right answer.
Now that you got your pickup licensing taken care of, get out and do some RVing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Your confused mess is what I have dealt with during part of my 39 years as a cop in Oregon.
So, just to keep the waters muddy, I am only mentioning Oregon. Remember each state has different rules and enforcement.
Oregon State Police are trained in US and Oregon DOT, as a few other police in some cities. Oregon mainly uses a whole different enforcement dept. for 99% of DOT enforcement. It is "Motor Carrier Enforcement." Those folks know trucks not pickups and only trucks "for hire" ie commcerial use vehicles, not pickups pulling RVs. Those folks in "MCE" only work at truck scales and only weight, comm trucks. The police is who stops and inspects and cites any vehicle rolling on a roadway, comm truck or not.
The laws are different completely different when speaking trucks and pickups.
Stop calling your pickup a truck when you ask people in authority.
Your salesperson was wrong, as many are. I have met many and few admit to not knowing a answer and make stuff up to sell a vehicle.
Going to DOT with questions about a pickup threw the guy into an unknown. His mind is all about Comm trucks all day.
DMV knows NON comm. vehicles only. They are named passenger vehicles and some of those are pickups. Not trucks.
The State Police or Highway patrol is as you found out the place normally to get the right answer.
Now that you got your pickup licensing taken care of, get out and do some RVing.
In Texas any pickup with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds is considered a truck and registration fees are scheduled by weight class. Many dealers will charge the higher fee at the sale and then register the vehicle as less than the GVWR then pocket the difference.

Happen to me and at least a couple of others on this forum that I know of.

The Soccer Moms driving the duallys and hauling groceries never notice. ��

It is the owner 's responsibility to verify the correct registration, not the dealer or the county clerk. Many don't know to even check and won't until they have occasion to run into a problem. It's the same on correct license class, ignorance is no excuse; or so the saying goes but it can be bliss until it isn't.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #30
SummitPond

Just to confirm:

If you are legal in the state your RV and TV are registered, then it doesn't really matter what the state you happen to be driving through requires.

Yes or no?

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #31
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Just to confirm:

If you are legal in the state your RV and TV are registered, then it doesn't really matter what the state you happen to be driving through requires.

Yes or no?

Thanks.
Depends on the situation, but in general yes
Old 03-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Just to confirm:

Yes or no?

Thanks.

As Javi points out.....it depends on what you are talking about. If your state allows a 75' total length, triple towing etc. and another state doesn't; you can be cited. Type of DL to tow abc rig...that is dictated by your state. Don't take anyone's word for it just look it up; I do before every trip to make sure I won't run afoul of another state's rules; truck, trailers and "other stuff".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

It's always been my experience and my understanding that when it comes to "rules in different states", the licensing and registration "cross state lines. If you're legally licensed and registered in your home state, then all other states will recognize those regardless of the state you're towing through.

On the other hand, you must comply with all the laws in every state that you tow through. If, for example, your rig is 102" wide, you can not "legally tow" through a state that has a maximum width for private vehicles of 98". If your state allows towed trailer speeds that are the same as posted car speeds (say 70MPH) and you're towing in a state with a maximum speed for all trailers of 65MPH, then you must comply with the laws of the state you're in and slow down.

As Danny posted, you must also comply with length limits. I regularly "triple tow" a boat or motorcycle trailer behind our fifth wheel. When towing the boat, our combined length is 74'. The maximum length in Michigan is 75', so I'm legal here. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin have a maximum 65' length. I can not "legally tow" out of this state and into one of those. While I've never been stopped, I know that if I come upon a "hungry LEO" or one that's having a bad day, my chances of being stopped and cited are increased, even though I'm "perfectly legal" at home.....

So, reciprocity between states can vary. As suggested, it's up to you to make sure that you're "legal" in the states you're towing through.... That said, your driver's license, vehicle and trailer registrations will be "legal" in all states as long as you're "just passing through"... If you stop long enough to show an intention to establish residence, then that's a different situation.

Like the old "common law marriage", is some states, it's 3 months of cohabitation, in some states it's 6 months, in some states, it's sleeping in the same bed for one night.... So, make sure of the laws where you intend to sleep for more than an hour or two..... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's always been my experience and my understanding that when it comes to "rules in different states", the licensing and registration "cross state lines. If you're legally licensed and registered in your home state, then all other states will recognize those regardless of the state you're towing through.

On the other hand, you must comply with all the laws in every state that you tow through. If, for example, your rig is 102" wide, you can not "legally tow" through a state that has a maximum width for private vehicles of 98". If your state allows towed trailer speeds that are the same as posted car speeds (say 70MPH) and you're towing in a state with a maximum speed for all trailers of 65MPH, then you must comply with the laws of the state you're in and slow down.

As Danny posted, you must also comply with length limits. I regularly "triple tow" a boat or motorcycle trailer behind our fifth wheel. When towing the boat, our combined length is 74'. The maximum length in Michigan is 75', so I'm legal here. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin have a maximum 65' length. I can not "legally tow" out of this state and into one of those. While I've never been stopped, I know that if I come upon a "hungry LEO" or one that's having a bad day, my chances of being stopped and cited are increased, even though I'm "perfectly legal" at home.....

So, reciprocity between states can vary. As suggested, it's up to you to make sure that you're "legal" in the states you're towing through.... That said, your driver's license, vehicle and trailer registrations will be "legal" in all states as long as you're "just passing through"... If you stop long enough to show an intention to establish residence, then that's a different situation.

Like the old "common law marriage", is some states, it's 3 months of cohabitation, in some states it's 6 months, in some states, it's sleeping in the same bed for one night.... So, make sure of the laws where you intend to sleep for more than an hour or two..... LOL
Also, be darn sure that you really are legal in your home state. Don't guess or take your buddy's word for it..
Old 03-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Also, be darn sure that you really are legal in your home state. Don't guess or take your buddy's word for it..
That's the best advice in this whole thread !!!!! Finding out in Oklahoma that you're not legal to drive on what you thought was a "perfectly legal license" is no way to end a vacation to California !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #36
Bill-2020

This is interesting to me. In my previous life (vol fire dept) we were not required to have any additional certifications on our drivers license when driving the trucks/tankers/ambulances. I know those trucks, especially with full water tanks were way over what a normal driver's license allows. Now, perhaps there were allowances for emergency vehicles. If I was to use my own personal vehicle to respond in (called POV) with proper lights/sirens then I had to get a class E (emergency) license. This, all some 20+ years ago was how it was done in NM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
This is interesting to me. In my previous life (vol fire dept) we were not required to have any additional certifications on our drivers license when driving the trucks/tankers/ambulances. I know those trucks, especially with full water tanks were way over what a normal driver's license allows. Now, perhaps there were allowances for emergency vehicles. If I was to use my own personal vehicle to respond in (called POV) with proper lights/sirens then I had to get a class E (emergency) license. This, all some 20+ years ago was how it was done in NM.
Same most places I've lived. Volunteer emergency responders typically operate equipment "under the supervision of the non-volunteer supervisor" and are grandfathered to operate equipment "in an emergency"...

That said, which cop is going to stop a firetruck with lights flashing on the way to a fire ??? And, coming back, who's going to be driving, breaking the law ???

So, it was probably a "long overlooked shortfall that nobody realized was happening" and now, with all the "self awareness agenda" people are looking for every piece of "anything" under every rock to "highlight as a potential problem"... Like you, all mine was 20_ years ago and I'm way too old to climb up a burning roof these days....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #38
Ken / Claudia

Javi, you make a good point. I remember many pickups from Texas have a license plate that says truck. After reading thousands upon thousands of Oregon registrations that says passenger vehicle on top in big bold letters on pickups, I forget, Yes all states have their own laws and names for a vehicle.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:12 PM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

I'm no lawyer but alot I think depends on the language . If a law says you must be 18 to get your liscence is a lot different than a law stating no one under the age of 18 may operate a vehicle on public roads.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #40
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
<snip>
<snip>
Thanks everyone. The above statement is what I was always led to believe, but you're all right - double check. I wish there was a central repository that either had links to the appropriate sites or at least indicated the language that should be used for the search. Sometimes site searches can be picky based on the word you use, and while something may sound totally reasonable - it's not what that particular state calls it.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote