Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Bryson

New Tow Vehicle Traction

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my TV from an F150 to a new Ram 3500 DRW. I know its a bit of overkill given my current rig, but plan to upgrade the TT in a couple years. First let me say it is a night and day difference when towing. No more white knuckles at the end of a travel day, and the ride is so much nicer.

One thing I did notice on its maiden trip was the lack of traction in the dirt / snow. I never had to put my F150 in 4x4 to back into a slightly snowy / muddy spot, but the new Ram started spinning the wheels as soon as it left the asphalt. As this is my first dually, I wanted to ask if this is common, or should I look into different tires for it? Not sure if switching to an A/T tire would affect towing/handling either. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my TV from an F150 to a new Ram 3500 DRW. I know its a bit of overkill given my current rig, but plan to upgrade the TT in a couple years. First let me say it is a night and day difference when towing. No more white knuckles at the end of a travel day, and the ride is so much nicer.

One thing I did notice on its maiden trip was the lack of traction in the dirt / snow. I never had to put my F150 in 4x4 to back into a slightly snowy / muddy spot, but the new Ram started spinning the wheels as soon as it left the asphalt. As this is my first dually, I wanted to ask if this is common, or should I look into different tires for it? Not sure if switching to an A/T tire would affect towing/handling either. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! ..you might want to update your signature to include your rv specs/model ..and truck info...it helps going forward when you ask a question
Old 03-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Welcome to the forum! ..you might want to update your signature to include your rv specs/model ..and truck info...it helps going forward when you ask a question
2019 2950BH Passport GT
2021 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 HO
Old 03-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
2019 2950BH Passport GT
2021 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 HO
I would answer the traction question but I’m new to drw myself..someone will chime in soon.. if you log off just monitor your email and when someone answers it will notify you...and you were SMART buying for the future as well as having a capable tow vehicle for your current rv
Old 03-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
rhagfo

Lower your rear tire pressure to about 40 to 45 psi. Your trailer has less than 1,000# of tongue weight, you have four tires even for max load of 9,750# my rears only need 65 psi, hard tires equal less traction.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:

You're making a new set of tracks due to the extra width & the serious increase in low end torque from the F150.
BTW congratulations on the new truck, good choice.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
Bryson

Thank you for the responses. Ill try lowering the tire pressure next time out if needed. If that doesn't work, I may have to look into some new shoes for the TV.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
Badbart56

You have a lot of weight on that front axle with the diesel engine and with no load the rear is lighter than the front. The F-150 is balanced better and the softer suspension can aid in traction also.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
jfk69

That is the one major bane of DRW trucks going back to their invention. They tend to float more in mud/snow and don’t “dig in” like a SRW. I always just considered it the trade off. It’s like any RV, boat, house or vehicle. There is always trade offs in the functionality/performance envelope for any vehicle. Living in a snow/mud climate, if I had a dollar for every DRW vehicle we’ve yanked out of snow, mud, or sloping wet grass I’d be retired lol.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:28 AM   #10
Thats me

This my not help but, I have towed a 36ft TT for 20000 miles with an f150 ecoboost 6.5ft bed no problems.
I now have a f350 8ft bed 4x4 and this thing will get stuck on wet grass without putting it in 4 wheel drive.
I believe it is the light weight of the long bed
Thats me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
dutchmensport

My Chevy (see signature below) tows my fifth wheel over any surface, pretty much, just fine. Unless it's an up-hill, backing up, towing, parking in a campsite, on gravel or dirt, the truck may spin tires. When that happens I'll simply drop into 4x4 and no longer any problems. But this is rare.

On the other hand, I have a 10 foot bed utility trailer and I load it full with firewood quite often. When pulling into my back yard with the truck and utility trailer full (on grass), the back wheels spin, almost all the time. Even in my own back yard I have to use 4x4 to move a 10 foot utility trailer full, with maybe a couple thousand pounds on it.

I think the above poster hit the nail right on the head. The front is so heavy with the diesel engine and transmission, the rear is light in comparision, allowing lesser traction. Again, on normal roads this is no problem. Towing my fifth wheel, this is no problem. Towing my utility trailer is no problem. It's only a problem when the truck gets on grass.

I've learned to live with it, and it's really no problem. However, my 4x4 dually diesel works fantastic on snowy roads, towing or not.

I do keep my truck tires pressured pretty high all the time. That may also have something to do with it. But I get tire slippage, pretty much, only in my back yard, so for me, it's not a problem... it's just the nature of the truck.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:59 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:

Duallys like a load in the back, but even with my non 4x4 I rarely have traction trouble 'course I do have 60 gallons of fuel and a rick of firewood in the bed The only time I drop the air pressure in my rear tires is when we're at the beach and the sand is dry.. The trick is to keep the wheels turning but not spinning Oh, and I do have a real limited slip differential

A little trick is to use both feet when driving in slippery stuff... one feathering the brake and the other on the go pedal.. it's fool the posi-trac
Old 03-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #13
jasin1

This is what etrailer says about it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F7B21D5-5099-4FB1-8C0D-90E13DE2AD4E.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	32623  
Old 03-24-2021, 06:06 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This is what etrailer says about it
Well I this this expert is a bit off base on the inflation, the more inflation the harder the tire, and less tread in contact, slightly low inflation for the load, will give a softer tire and better traction, because more of the tire is in contact with the snow. One also needs to be very light on the throttle.

Here in the PNW most snow we get except on the higher passes, has a high water content, when you roll over it it turns to ice with water on it, it is slicker than snot!
Old 03-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I this this expert is a bit off base on the inflation, the more inflation the harder the tire, and less tread in contact, slightly low inflation for the load, will give a softer tire and better traction, because more of the tire is in contact with the snow. One also needs to be very light on the throttle.

Here in the PNW most snow we get except on the higher passes, has a high water content, when you roll over it it turns to ice with water on it, it is slicker than snot!
Yeah I really have no idea about drw traction I didn’t even drive in the snow with mine yet ..I will listen to you guys with more experience
Old 03-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Couple of thoughts, you went from a F150 gas fired truck to a deisel dually. So typically a F150 will have passenger tires that have lower PSI, softer sidewalls (more flex), and more agressssive tread design as the truck is "dual purpose" as far as road and offroad is concerned. The F150 will also have a lower power to weight and torgue to weight ratio than the bndually. The power band on most gas engines are such that the HP and torque are at a much higher rpm than the deisel.

The deisel dually is designed to carry a very heavy load on paved roads. The deisel's torgue and HP come in at a very low rpm. The first thing to do is to get aquianted with the "feel" of the dually (i.e. keep your foot out of it) The deisel is designed to put a load of torgue and power on the ground right out of the gate to get a large amount of weight moving quickly. This is just the opposite of what you need on a traction comprimised surface.

Air the tires down, apply the parking brake a bit can slow down the drive axle. Applying the brake pedal can cause more friction on the front tires (think burnouts). Start out in a higher gear if possible i.e. use 2nd or 3 rd gear when pulling forward. I keep a set of traction mats in the back of my truck and they have been very useful on a coule of occasions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #17
rhagfo

Tires and inflation, so many just don't get it! Just because a tire states Max inflation 80 psi, you only need that inflation if you are carrying the max load! The inflation listed on the "Yellow Tag" is for the vehicles max GVWR/Payload, anything below that calls for some adjustments. The tag on our 2016 DRW calls for 70 psi front, and 65 psi rear (yes, on a max 80 psi tire). That gives a rear axle rating of 9,750#, I don't carry that much, so I run my rears at 55 psi loaded or unloaded (2,700# pin).
While at 80 psi my tire would not be overinflated, but would be overinflated for the load it is carrying. Keep in mind correct inflation is is the pressure adjusted to the load carried.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

I am guessing there is no electric rear end locker. I have found by using that no
more tire spinning on wet boat ramps and no need to switch to 4x4.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I am guessing there is no electric rear end locker. I have found by using that no
more tire spinning on wet boat ramps and no need to switch to 4x4.
No locker on the new TV, may be something to look into though.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #20
JJaxon

I would not change tires until you wear those out. I would add weight, sand bags or something heavy and easy to handle. 500lbs will make a difference. Driving on loose gravel or same will always cause slippage, but ask yourself,
how much driving do you do on that vs pavement?
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle