Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
As you know, we conversed a bit about my recent trade. I too was in the research mode, really just looking to see what was out there to compare to what I had. I am not an impulse buyer, but I am a need over want rules. My trade in was a '19 SRW LB 4x4 CC CTD Laramie. I wanted to see what I could gain by trading up to the dually. I had 27k miles (in 1.5 yrs) so tire replacement was coming by spring, on my '19 when I traded, it had a recent ding in the front bumper and a new expensive ding in the tailgate. While looking I got a repair estimate on fixing those, $4k. The body shop estimator told me if Im trading dont mess with the repairs, it won't matter, and he was right. I got more for my trade than I expected and the "Buy New" rebates are out there, in some zip codes. I was up front about the dings, nothing changed. I gained 1400lbs in payload, and some new bells and whistle for the '20. Ultimately, I gained in confidence that when I hit the big road and deal with marginal load limits, wind control and ??? I do think the turn radius is a bit tighter on the dually. Might be the 17.5" tires vs. 20", I'm not sure, but it feels like a tighter turn. My '20 has the 4:10 rear end, my 19 had the 3:73, both have the 68RFE trans.

I thought about air bags to level the squat, axle ratings, tires, headlights shining high, but the 1st and foremost reason was available payload, for me. When I found this truck using Car Gurus app, I knew the dealership and salesman was already in my phone.

As for the fuel pumps, and other maintenance items that may or may not factor in, I didn't see that as a concern for me. My daily driver has 2 wheels and is easier to park in tight spaces. With the warranties as good as they are, and as many Ram trucks as there are on the road, I dont think any mechanical issues will go without a fix. I do have my services done as prescribed.

I was told to go big,,, order the ultimate truck, blah blah blah,, but that wasn't necessary for me. As for used vs. new, I wouldn't go more than 2 years old, but then I'd ask myself, what has this used truck been through to be for sale. Buying new was a confidence factor too. Any issues, it's covered. My biggest fear for a used truck was did someone try to delete this, gone wrong, then they traded, or some nightmarish thing like that. New was for me, because I can afford the hit, and nothing to keep me awake or on the side of the road when I shouldn't be.

If you need a push to keep looking, I'll say you can find the truck you need, it's out there. Then its just a matter of spending the money.

No regrets from me. Now I get to accessorize with Amp running boards, aux fuel tank, etc, again.
I hate it when the voice of reason steps in. My quandary as I stated is whether to operate on the ragged edge limiting my loading or be done with it and have lots of reserve. I did a Ram corporate search and brought up some trucks within a reasonable distance. I live in rural SE AL not near a big city like ATL with lots of dealerships. A dealer in NW FL has a couple of nice examples, one with regular diesel the other with HO and AISIN. A local dealer has a Limited with stuff like sun roof I don't want. Plus a bunch more $$$$$.

That said I don't need a new, or different truck. I actually don't need my RV, Harley, or Miata either. But to operate more safely and comfortably I do "need" to do something in an upgrade. I also can be leery of getting someone else's lemon or problem. It's nice knowing all the miles are mine and taken care of not abused. 2 of them have the upgraded 50g tank. Add that to my 51g auxiliary tank and I can even cross TX east to west without refueling.

Sourdough I've been there done that in getting low balled in a trade and them trying to add "fees" at the last minute. It will all come down to difference if I trade. I think I'm in a position of power as I don't have to have someone "right now". But make the right deal which I'm comfortable with and it's a go. We'll see how this goes this week.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
Old 09-29-2020, 04:06 AM   #22
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I hate it when the voice of reason steps in. My quandary as I stated is whether to operate on the ragged edge limiting my loading or be done with it and have lots of reserve. I did a Ram corporate search and brought up some trucks within a reasonable distance. I live in rural SE AL not near a big city like ATL with lots of dealerships. A dealer in NW FL has a couple of nice examples, one with regular diesel the other with HO and AISIN. A local dealer has a Limited with stuff like sun roof I don't want. Plus a bunch more $$$$$.
I had a couple of conversations with the NW FL dealer yeast, and a ton of contacts by other dealers, who didn't have what I wanted. I have used a variety of sites for research, trader.com, car guru, cars.com and couple others to see what's around. I recently found truecar, not sure if that's a "no contact covid upstart or if they've been around. At any rate I got "offers" from some dealers thru that site. I'm probably going to drive down and look at the 2 3500 Laramie they have. One without the HO motor is the same red as my SRW. The other, with the HO and AISIN is the same white at my 1500 I got last spring but with black interior. That would make 3 white vehicles in my garage. Never done that before as I usually have more color imagination. Maybe the neighbors will think I'm a "white supremacist". Since my towing requirements don't and highly unlikely will need the advantages of the HO and AISIN, the regular/red one will work. Besides I like a lighter color interior living in the south. Couple minor differences like bumper step but otherwise very similarly appointed.

Just for grins I'll take appropriate paperwork with me "in case" they make an offer I can't refuse. But I'll make it difficult because the aux tank and B&W hitch are in the bed. I plan to keep the tank since it's unlikely they will plus up the trade-in $1K+. Aux tank is nearly empty but main fuel tank plumb full. I'll try and siphon some out for the tractor before I go.

EDIT; siphoning didn't work. I understand vehicles have a baffle or block in the filler to stop just what I tried. Oh well, fuel isn't as expensive now anyway.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I had a couple of conversations with the NW FL dealer yeast, and a ton of contacts by other dealers, who didn't have what I wanted. I have used a variety of sites for research, trader.com, car guru, cars.com and couple others to see what's around. I recently found truecar, not sure if that's a "no contact covid upstart or if they've been around. At any rate I got "offers" from some dealers thru that site. I'm probably going to drive down and look at the 2 3500 Laramie they have. One without the HO motor is the same red as my SRW. The other, with the HO and AISIN is the same white at my 1500 I got last spring but with black interior. That would make 3 white vehicles in my garage. Never done that before as I usually have more color imagination. Maybe the neighbors will think I'm a "white supremacist". Since my towing requirements don't and highly unlikely will need the advantages of the HO and AISIN, the regular/red one will work. Besides I like a lighter color interior living in the south. Couple minor differences like bumper step but otherwise very similarly appointed.

Just for grins I'll take appropriate paperwork with me "in case" they make an offer I can't refuse. But I'll make it difficult because the aux tank and B&W hitch are in the bed. I plan to keep the tank since it's unlikely they will plus up the trade-in $1K+. Aux tank is nearly empty but main fuel tank plumb full. I'll try and siphon some out for the tractor before I go.

EDIT; siphoning didn't work. I understand vehicles have a baffle or block in the filler to stop just what I tried. Oh well, fuel isn't as expensive now anyway.

David I don't know where you are looking in FL but I bought mine in Tallahassee. I usually just tell the dealer "this is what I want" with a list of must haves then nice to haves. Let them do the search. The dealer I used ended up finding my truck in St. Augustine and had it brought in for me. At that time they had a pretty good selection of HD trucks (end of last year) and were bound by the employee + pricing from FCA so I didn't have to deal real hard.

Instead of using those services that you mentioned (don't know how they get paid but figure if they refer you to a dealer someone gives them something; I assume in the end out of the buyer's pocket) I just pick dealerships that 1) might have something I want and 2) are in a place I think I might go spend a day or 2 - within a 2-300 miles. But, I have the time and don't mind pulling their websites to look at inventory. I will note this, I don't know how it is in AL but when I was buying the truck and trailer at the end of last year neither the truck dealers or RV dealers in TX could match the FL pricing.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #24
BeagleMan

I know one thing, when it comes for me to upgrade my truck, I'm calling on some of you here. Me, I have had 5 trucks my whole life, I run them to death. 4 Chevys and now a Tundra. I have put 200,000+ on each one of them. 2 Chevys had 400,000 miles before trading away. I know I get screwed on trade ins because, I know what I am walking into. I guess I just do not know how to make a deal.

I know I might take some heat and it may be overkill, but I am planning on upgrading my Tundra to a F-450 dually. I built and priced them on the site and it seems that the 450 is only about 3-4K more than the 350 because what is optional on the 350 XLT is standard on the 450. Might as well erase all doubt. I love the RAMs, but I can get a 450 cheaper than a optioned up Bighorn or Laramie. And it might look a might silly yanking my Outback 260UML around at first, but the DW and I will be looking at 5ers in a 2-3 years, and I want a big one.

Very informative thread here for me.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
David I don't know where you are looking in FL but I bought mine in Tallahassee. I usually just tell the dealer "this is what I want" with a list of must haves then nice to haves. Let them do the search. The dealer I used ended up finding my truck in St. Augustine and had it brought in for me. At that time they had a pretty good selection of HD trucks (end of last year) and were bound by the employee + pricing from FCA so I didn't have to deal real hard.

Instead of using those services that you mentioned (don't know how they get paid but figure if they refer you to a dealer someone gives them something; I assume in the end out of the buyer's pocket) I just pick dealerships that 1) might have something I want and 2) are in a place I think I might go spend a day or 2 - within a 2-300 miles. But, I have the time and don't mind pulling their websites to look at inventory. I will note this, I don't know how it is in AL but when I was buying the truck and trailer at the end of last year neither the truck dealers or RV dealers in TX could match the FL pricing.
It's was in Crestview. I'm going to postpone going. I spent hours cleaning and rain is just about here. And the big one. Current factory incentives are puny. I know times are different but dealers are getting stock in regularly now so the "covid factor" isn't that much a issue today. Next month, just a couple days away will bring new incentives list. We'll see how that looks or even the end of the year. No trips planned and if I did, I could still "download" to take one.

I've got a "local salesman" supposedly looking but I trust my research over theirs. What I read on one site in their disclosures, they are paid by the selling dealership for acting as an intermediary. I can go direct and save everyone, especially me. I'm going to use the Ram corporate vehicle tracking in different areas and see what's around. I've been contacted by several, a lot actually, of dealers offering to help me find a truck. I've told them I can do that locally I want to know what's out there now. I've bought across state lines a few times here and it's pretty painless. I usually get a bill of sale transaction and I'll deal with any tax, tag, title issues in AL. Sales tax in AL is low, 3.08%+- of the difference. Most dealers

And the beat goes on. Meanwhile it's a cool day and I have about half a billion bugs on the front of the Raptor that need to come off. Thank you rural South Dakota
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It's was in Crestview. I'm going to postpone going. I spent hours cleaning and rain is just about here. And the big one. Current factory incentives are puny. I know times are different but dealers are getting stock in regularly now so the "covid factor" isn't that much a issue today. Next month, just a couple days away will bring new incentives list. We'll see how that looks or even the end of the year. No trips planned and if I did, I could still "download" to take one.

I've got a "local salesman" supposedly looking but I trust my research over theirs. What I read on one site in their disclosures, they are paid by the selling dealership for acting as an intermediary. I can go direct and save everyone, especially me. I'm going to use the Ram corporate vehicle tracking in different areas and see what's around. I've been contacted by several, a lot actually, of dealers offering to help me find a truck. I've told them I can do that locally I want to know what's out there now. I've bought across state lines a few times here and it's pretty painless. I usually get a bill of sale transaction and I'll deal with any tax, tag, title issues in AL. Sales tax in AL is low, 3.08%+- of the difference. Most dealers

And the beat goes on. Meanwhile it's a cool day and I have about half a billion bugs on the front of the Raptor that need to come off. Thank you rural South Dakota

Keep in mind that if you buy in FL just tell them to register it at your DMV where you live. You pay AL tax and not FL. They will send the info to the tax office, pay for everything and you can either pick them up if you are there (AL) or have them sent to you. I opted to have them sent to the dealer (FL) since I was sort of mobile in the RV at the time. I just went and picked them up - TX tags from a FL dealer. The only downside is that in TX I would have gotten a 2 year registration sticker and in FL 1 year was the only option.

I'm not sure what the end of the year will hold for incentives. Inventories went to pot when everything shut down but they are slowly restocking. The places I've just given a casual look through still seem to be down though. Depending, this year may not be a good one for trying to get a deal.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
chunker

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you buy in FL just tell them to register it at your DMV where you live. You pay AL tax and not FL. They will send the info to the tax office, pay for everything and you can either pick them up if you are there (AL) or have them sent to you. I opted to have them sent to the dealer (FL) since I was sort of mobile in the RV at the time. I just went and picked them up - TX tags from a FL dealer. The only downside is that in TX I would have gotten a 2 year registration sticker and in FL 1 year was the only option.

I'm not sure what the end of the year will hold for incentives. Inventories went to pot when everything shut down but they are slowly restocking. The places I've just given a casual look through still seem to be down though. Depending, this year may not be a good one for trying to get a deal.
Thanks, I have found that dealers use a different % on calculating AL sales tax than what I would pay by going to the county courthouse. Since the trade difference is small, that amount won't be a huge factor. Also FL I think requires dealers to collect the tax, GA one didn't. I bought a boat last year from a FL dealer near Destin and they collected the sales tax.

Yeah I'm afraid that this year is much different financially than previous years in reference to incentives. But since there's basically nothing, 500 military or first responder and a HO diesel one, waiting won't hurt. You are right, inventory is down but there are some out there and they are getting some from the factory. These come from Mexico anyway.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
I know one thing, when it comes for me to upgrade my truck, I'm calling on some of you here. Me, I have had 5 trucks my whole life, I run them to death. 4 Chevys and now a Tundra. I have put 200,000+ on each one of them. 2 Chevys had 400,000 miles before trading away. I know I get screwed on trade ins because, I know what I am walking into. I guess I just do not know how to make a deal.

I know I might take some heat and it may be overkill, but I am planning on upgrading my Tundra to a F-450 dually. I built and priced them on the site and it seems that the 450 is only about 3-4K more than the 350 because what is optional on the 350 XLT is standard on the 450. Might as well erase all doubt. I love the RAMs, but I can get a 450 cheaper than a optioned up Bighorn or Laramie. And it might look a might silly yanking my Outback 260UML around at first, but the DW and I will be looking at 5ers in a 2-3 years, and I want a big one.

Very informative thread here for me.

Regardless of 350 vs 450, you will look a lot better driving a Ford as they make even an ugly guy like me look kind of purdy!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 09-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #29
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Regardless of 350 vs 450, you will look a lot better driving a Ford as they make even an ugly guy like me look kind of purdy!
Yeah but I have seen a scientific study that shows where Ford uses mood altering substances in their interior glues which causes irrational thoughts. Yep read it on the internet.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #30
Snoking

Quote:
Yeah but I have seen a scientific study that shows where Ford uses mood altering substances in their interior glues which causes irrational thoughts. Yep read it on the internet.
No laughing matter. Our new Ford Edge ST in sports mode pipes in engine noise via the sound system. Zoom Zoom!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
No laughing matter. Our new Ford Edge ST in sports mode pipes in engine noise via the sound system. Zoom Zoom!

Ford did the same on the 2005 Mustang GT. Mine sounded so very good, until I removed the OEM speakers to change them out and needed to run to town to get some solder... Man that car sounded so "puny" without the stereo working.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #32
notanlines

Go big or stay home. Next we're headed to the dealer for a new M2 106 Sport Chassis. (Lord, I hope Brenda doesn't read this or my butt is mud! Besides, its not true...)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #33
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post

That can not be true... that would be SOOOOOOO tacky.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 09-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Outstanding!! Then, I have nothing to worry about then. I should be good to go. I'm just hoping when they see me yanking a TT with a 450 that they will think, AH, he got the horse first.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Outstanding!! Then, I have nothing to worry about then. I should be good to go. I'm just hoping when they see me yanking a TT with a 450 that they will think, AH, he got the horse first.
I think George is "wishing" or very optimistic about driving that Ford. I did for many, many years and although I liked the looks of the trucks at that time, in any pics I saw of me in or around them my chops looked like they always did...STELLAR!! Just joking!

As far as getting the horse before the cart, that's a good idea when planning on a larger RV.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #36
chunker

Quote:
I think George is "wishing" or very optimistic about driving that Ford. I did for many, many years and although I liked the looks of the trucks at that time, in any pics I saw of me in or around them my chops looked like they always did...STELLAR!! Just joking!

As far as getting the horse before the cart, that's a good idea when planning on a larger RV.
If you are going to get the horse ahead of the cart, get a Clydesdale. No pony.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #37
JJaxon

Quote:
If you are going to get the horse ahead of the cart, get a Clydesdale. No pony.
Which brings us all back to the Ram 3500. 😁
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #38
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Which brings us all back to the Ram 3500. 😁
Right and no gelding.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #39
tech740

Quote:
Right and no gelding.
After having a 68rfe truck and now an Aisin(HO) truck I would do the White Aisin and let the neighbors think what they may. In my opinion there are too many 68’s that go bad with light loading and commuting, I would not trust one under a heavy load again. Mine left me stranded in TN last year.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 10-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #40
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
After having a 68rfe truck and now an Aisin(HO) truck I would do the White Aisin and let the neighbors think what they may. In my opinion there are too many 68’s that go bad with light loading and commuting, I would not trust one under a heavy load again. Mine left me stranded in TN last year.
What issue did you have with the 68RFE trans? The white ones gone, only the red and I'm starting to lean toward getting the "heavy hitter" rather than "can do". I'm also going to rethink my color choices or rather color avoidances. I have been not looking at black, BUT with good a/c color isn't as big an issue as in days past. Besides the trailer is a full body paint with some/lots of black so a black truck would match better, not that that's a primary motive. Function over form. Haven't had a black vehicle in a while so maybe time to try it again. Main thing again is underpinnings.
Closed Thread