Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I think there's a bit more involved than torque. Obviously it will pull it better but it's also $10K bigger investment, not to mention higher fuel costs and maintenance.

Are you going to be a weekend warrior, pulling an occasional grade or two, or are you going to be traveling through the mountains on a regular basis? This will determine whether it's worth the bigger investment. If money is no object, and/or you know for sure you will be pulling something substantially larger in the near (lifetime of the truck) future, than sure, go with the diesel. If not, there is certainly nothing wrong with pulling a substantial trailer/5'ver with today's gas engine. Just my .02.

^^^^This, to me, is the deal; bang for the buck, mtce, headache etc. I could care less what it costs but I want it to make sense and fit my needs, not to have it to have it. Both drivetrains have a place and a person needs to determine where they fit in that given all the variables. IMO a diesel isn't the answer because it's a "diesel" - many more parameters to consider.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

That bigger investment also means bigger trade in value. Is it worth it, you will need to figure that out. I will repeat this statement again from a ford sales manager. He said they sell 1 new gas f350 for about every 100 diesel pickups. I am just repeating his words and never cared to try to prove it.
I do not care what you pick, mine is diesel and has been since 1996.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #23
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would just note that the new gas engines coupled with 8/10 speed trannies are nothing like the gas drivetrains of old...by a long shot. Did the same 460/360/351 thing in Fords before I moved along from them but even 5 years ago gas drivetrains can't compare to today.
Danny, Absolutely true!

Diesel engines have made that same transition during the same time frame. The old Ford 7.3 made something like 450 lb-ft and the new 6.7 makes 1,050 lb-ft while transmissions have grown from 4 speeds to 10 speeds (I think) during the same time. That's a 230% increase spread out over just as many more gears. All 3 of the major manufacturers have really stepped up their games over the last years, for both gas and diesel engines.

As you all have been discussing, if you are pulling big and/or heavy, there is just no escaping the fact that diesels are much more capable. If you don't need one, don't buy it; but if you need one and DON'T buy it, you will always regret it. JMHO.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #24
travelin texans

I can't speak for ANY F series truck, never owned one, but I will say that if towing any rv 10k lbs or more the diesel is the only way to go regardless if towing in the mountains or the flats.
Plus if you're any kind of haggler you won't pay that much more for a diesel than a gasser, at least I never did, & you'll recoup much more return on the resale.
I had 2 GMC dually diesels that I didn't pay near MSRP & sold/traded both for $12-15k less than I paid new, both had 150k+ on the odometers in 5-6 years each & 50% +/- of those miles towing 16k+ 5th wheels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 AM   #25
Cpbiegalski

Thanks again for all the input! Very helpful! So with a 38' plus TT, with a F350, will there be as much of a sail behind us, or will the power of the truck eliminate that? One of you mentioned you had a 40' toyhauler!
Cpbiegalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpbiegalski View Post
Thanks again for all the input! Very helpful! So with a 38' plus TT, with a F350, will there be as much of a sail behind us, or will the power of the truck eliminate that? One of you mentioned you had a 40' toyhauler!
The size of the truck pulling it won't affect how much surface area the trailer has, but the weight of the truck and the suspension of the truck will dampen the effect of the sail..
Old 09-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #27
LewisB

Quote:
While the F350 (depending on how equipped) will likely be capable of towing a 38' TT, it will NOT eliminate the sail effects of the trailer. As Javi points out, it will dampen the effects somewhat. You will definitely need a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. In my experience, many (if not most) folks who have gone much over 30' in length end up with a 5th wheel trailer. You will likely find more options, floorplans, etc. with 5th wheel trailers. And with the larger trailers, one of the biggest selling points is that 5th wheel trailers are SIGNIFICANTLY more stable and less prone to the effects of wind.

At least that has been my experience!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

As with anything in life it's a personal choice that one must weight the pros and cons on. But I will just say this....

Let's take a quick, unscientific survey. How many folks that have towed a large trailer with a gas and a diesel powered truck are now using a gas truck to pull their large trailer?

That's what I thought.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #29
travelin texans

I believe the biggest deterent about diesels is folks still associate them to the older, loud, smelly trucks they use to hate getting stopped next to at a light. All of the new diesels are quiet, no smoke, no smell & if parked next to one you wouldn't know it was a diesel unless you saw the fender badge. But hook up to one to tow a large rv & you'll never want to tow with a gasser again, it's night/day difference.
The other thing everyone brings up is maintenance! As I said I had 2 diesels for just of 300k miles between them & can honestly say that I didn't notice much of an increase, if any. In today's vehicles, gas or diesel, they're all going to be expensive if major repairs are needed due to all the electronic computerized systems onboard, the shade tree guy is pretty much a thing of past, other than oil changes & brakes, unless he has a spare diagnostic computer lying around.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #30
Canonman

You can also choose to be in the peak performance power band at 5,000 RPM or 2,000 RPM. Gas engine vs diesel.
Just for fun, take your Ecoboost out and drive around in 4th gear at 5k rpm. Shouldn't take long to make your decision.
As for sway when towing, nothing beats a good weight distribution hitch equipped with anti-sway control. That said a truck with a heavier suspension will also help control both bounce and sway.
Good luck an let us know what you decide on.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As with anything in life it's a personal choice that one must weight the pros and cons on. But I will just say this....

Let's take a quick, unscientific survey. How many folks that have towed a large trailer with a gas and a diesel powered truck are now using a gas truck to pull their large trailer?

That's what I thought.

Hmmmmm I will say though that it wasn't mine......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #32
Hugo-H

Quote:
Wow. You all have been so helpful. So since we're kind of hooked on this TT, maybe a heavier duty truck will help? Would a F250 or 350 be more appropriate?

I have a Keystone 31ft...and towing it with a 1996 E350 SD...and even then, sometimes, I get the impression that this car quite near the limit, although I have approx 1500 lbs under the max limit...
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #33
Papa of 7

I just traded up from F150 to a F350 for safety and for possibly a 5th wheel in the future. The F350 is the same as a F250 except heavier axle and springs in the rear.
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #34
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

CP, when you're shopping, don't just look at the number on the fender. Look at the payload sticker inside the driver's door.
The manufacturers are starting to sell 3/4 tons equipped for soccer moms.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
CP, you are a sly devil. Find the travel trailer that ticks all the boxes for the DW, then it's "but sweetheart, we'll need a new truck to pull that beautiful new Premier. The experts on the forum all say so." That makes us all complicit. As such, we are always more than happy to help
That's exactly how I played it...and it worked out very nicely.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Wow - lots of good advice and it's nice to see a new member who is actually listening! If the trailer size is fixed, then I certainly agree with the move to the F350.

Gas vs. Diesel? I've done both. In fact, back in 1997 I bought a new F250 specifically to get the 460 c.i. gas motor. We had a smaller 24 ft trailer...I spent several years watching the diesel guys pass me in the mountains So I started making modifications - bigger injectors, higher fuel pressure, new "chip" to remap the engine and transmission, new intake system, new 4.88 rear end gears (4x4 so X2), and finally a Gear Vendor to split the transmission gears and give me 8 forward speeds.

After several thousand dollars of mods, I created a monster fire breathing gas motor. (My brother recommended I try a Ford 572 crate motor!) Guess what...I still watched the diesel guys pass me in the mountains This was not so much about "going fast" - but with the gas motor my choices were 1)drive easy and go 20 mph slower than everyone else (not safe in my opinion) or 2)thrash that gas motor to get more performance in the hills!

I made the switch to diesel to pull a 40' toy hauler in 2009. I instantly loved it and would never go back, even for a smaller rig. I'm now in my second diesel dually! JMYO - GET THE DIESEL! If you are going to tow, there simply is no substitute for 1000#ft of torque! I'd almost bet money this won't be your last trailer - and the next one will be even bigger and heavier!

My last truck was a 96 F250 w/460 and all stock. The thing was a GAS HOG and had sufficient power to easily pull my 8K gross camper BUT the drum brakes would get to stink in the hills and canyons here in the Hill Country. Went over one of the most famous motorcycle roads in Texas, RR337 with the camper going to Camp Wood and the brakes got so hot I could smell them and there was not much stopping on the rear end. The missus told me she would personally shoot me if I ever drove that truck (with camper) over that road. Hence the 2006 F350. The 460 itself was bullet proof and I was closing in on 300K miles when I sold it (for a profit if you don't count the money I put into it).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #37
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I work for a large state government agency, with lots of vehicles. A decision was made to replace all light trucks with gasoline models when their replacement time comes. The diesel trucks were just too expensive to maintain and repair.
But on the other side of that, most aren't used for towing.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #38
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I work for a large state government agency, with lots of vehicles. A decision was made to replace all light trucks with gasoline models when their replacement time comes. The diesel trucks were just too expensive to maintain and repair.
But on the other side of that, most aren't used for towing.

If the gubbermint decides to do something, I guess it must be the right thing to do. I think maintaining a govt fleet cost effectiveness may have different metrics than does a camper owner have.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #39
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the gubbermint decides to do something, I guess it must be the right thing to do. I think maintaining a govt fleet cost effectiveness may have different metrics than does a camper owner have.
I dunno...
The longevity of a diesel engine is historic, but I've seen some crazy high repair bills for the smaller things like injectors, turbo chargers, and injector pumps.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #40
Big1

350 gas or diesel, I had both and love what I have now, we just did a 3,500- 4,000 miles trip, in the mountains and love that I have what I have, but what's good for me might not be okay for you, you have to decide.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle