Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
Hey Louie

Why use a macerator system?

Was wondering if someone that is using a macerator system can tell me why they switched? What are the advantages? Does anyone have experience with the Valterra Sewer Solution? Has anyone used a macerator and switched back?
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I have Flojet macerator pump that I bought for a previous trailer. It was a 29' lightweight and sat so low that the sewage dump valve was often lower than the sewer drain inlet on hilly campsites. I kept it and wired the 12vdc plus for it on the current trailer.

It looks like a blender blade inside. The positives, it will pump uphill, empty the tanks in about 5 min. and only need a garden hose to discharge (a hose dedicated to that task and that task only). The unit has a fresh water hose connection that you can back flush the tank with and clean the pump and hose.

The negative, you can't 'pull the handle and walk away" because you can't let the pump run dry, you need a fresh water supply hose to connect to it but most people have one for their tank ringer connections anyway. Occasionally I'd have to take some long Needle nose pliers and pull hair from around the blades (when I was using it all the time our 2 long haired daughters were using the shower)., it's another thing to store but mine came in a nice plastic case that keeps it all neat.

When I had the lower camper the pump was well worth the money to me. I hated having to lift the hose to get it to drain. Now that the trailer we have sets nice and high I've had very rare occurrences to use it. Typically only use it now if we're at a cg wher we are in a water/electric site but a full hook up, or public restroom cleanout is close enough to reach with the pump and hose I'll use it if there's a long line at the dump station.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Hey Louie

Good info. Thanks flybouy
Old 01-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I had a Flo-jet also. We would always stop at rest areas or truckstops while traveling long distances between campgrounds and home. Dumping at truckstops can be a hassle especially when they are busy and no way to flush the tank. At home I had water and electric by the slab where I kept the trailer but the cleanout for sewer was 50' away and up hill. Like Marshal, I kept a dedicated hose for dumping. (75' commercial 1" hose) With the Flo-jet I could back-fill and flush the tank until it ran clean, since I did not have tank flush system it was a big plus.

Also came in handy when we had company and the trailer became overflow living space. A little tedious to use but much easier than hooking up and trying to find a place to use a dump station.

I have no experience with the Sewer Solutions but Valterra does have a good reputation.

For short distances the standard 3' hose is much easier but for long distance or slightly up hill the macerator is the way to go.

Hope this answers your question, JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Wxman

I have the Valterra Sewer Solutions. I only use it at home if I have the need to dump. In my situation it works. I have about 70' to travel and use the suggested 1"PVC. The 70' distance is quite level.
It isn't fast and can use quite a bit of water if you leave it running. I typically don't use extra water when dumping the gray and only on the black if I know it needs it (if you know what I mean) and for final clean up. This gives me no problem, but remember I have a level distance to travel.
I have never had a clog or issue where the water jet wouldn't dissolve and push through what it needed to.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Hey Louie

Thanks everyone for the info. Would it be safe to say that the macerator works well with the blue tote? And if you do use it with a tote is it easy to keep the tote clean? We have a tote but have only ever used it with the gray tanks.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Louie View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. Would it be safe to say that the macerator works well with the blue tote? And if you do use it with a tote is it easy to keep the tote clean? We have a tote but have only ever used it with the gray tanks.
IMO the water needed to operate the macerator would fill the tote too quickly. Never did it but I don't think it would be practical.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
I have not used my flojet for the blue tote, but keep it in mind if we are camping far from a place to dump.

I figure I can use the flojet to pump up to the tote, in the bed of the truck and then drive where ever I need to to dump the tote. We tend to dry camp more than anything.

I do use the flojet a home quite a bit, either after returning from a trip or when the camper is used as guest quarters, since I have 30 amp service and water at the "parking spot"

I am glad I have it and feel it was well worth the purchase price ($206).

-Brian
Old 01-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
fjr vfr

I bought a macerator pretty cheap off Craigslist a few years ago to have as insurance. Fortunately I haven't had to use it....insurance.
On another note, friends of ours who do a lot of dry camping have a large tank in the rear of their truck, bigger than a Blue Boy. He pumps up into this tank and drives to a dump station to empty and flush it. The tank is big enough to hold more than his black tank contents. I don't know anyone else who does this. And I don't have any details on it, since he only told me what he does.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
IMO the water needed to operate the macerator would fill the tote too quickly. Never did it but I don't think it would be practical.
I understand the Sewer Solution requires additional water but does a standard macerator pump require additional water?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I understand the Sewer Solution requires additional water but does a standard macerator pump require additional water?
No it does not, only to rinse the pump and hose.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Hey Louie

So if the blue tote is bigger than the black tank it should work?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #13
fjr vfr

Quote:

How big is your black tank? You've found a tote bigger?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don't see why the tote would HAVE to be larger then the black tank unless you want to dump the entire contents of the blank tank in one use. I think most folks can get away without dumping the black tank for a lot longer than the gray water tank.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Most people who have used their blue tank to carry black tank contents, have done it one time, realized how difficult it is to clean the blue tank and decided to tow the trailer to the dump station after that experience.

We typically dry camp for a week at a time, the black tank doesn't need dumping in that time frame. We use the blue tank for gray water, fill the fresh water tank with 5 gallon water jugs from WalMart and filled at the "hand pump well" at the campground.

After one round of "wrestling 30 gallons of black tank contents" and cleaning the blue tank so we could get it home, I decided it's just not worth it....

Of course, as with most things, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
How big is your black tank? You've found a tote bigger?

Yep. we have 2, 39 gallon black tanks and a 42 gallon tote. We never had to empty our black tanks during a stay. However one of our trips this year is with water and electric only for 9 nights. I'm pretty sure we will be fine. Not sure about the others in our group.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #17
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most people who have used their blue tank to carry black tank contents, have done it one time, realized how difficult it is to clean the blue tank and decided to tow the trailer to the dump station after that experience.

We typically dry camp for a week at a time, the black tank doesn't need dumping in that time frame. We use the blue tank for gray water, fill the fresh water tank with 5 gallon water jugs from WalMart and filled at the "hand pump well" at the campground.

After one round of "wrestling 30 gallons of black tank contents" and cleaning the blue tank so we could get it home, I decided it's just not worth it....

Of course, as with most things, YMMV.

Good info, thanks John
Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
Logan X

I have a 38 gallon black tank and I use a 40 gallon tote to dump at home. The trailer is in the backyard and the sewer clean out is in the front yard.

It works well, I dump the black and then the gray tanks. I don’t clean the tote out beyond that and I’ve had no issues. I don’t travel with the tote.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't see why the tote would HAVE to be larger then the black tank unless you want to dump the entire contents of the blank tank in one use. I think most folks can get away without dumping the black tank for a lot longer than the gray water tank.
Keep in mind that some folks have other input to the blank tank beyond their commode. My shower goes into my black tank (must have saved $.37 on pvc) rather than the gray tank next to it towards the front. This makes black tank dump sessions more frequent than they could be. The bathroom sink dumps into the gray tank. Our camper has a galley tank as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Yep. we have 2, 39 gallon black tanks and a 42 gallon tote. We never had to empty our black tanks during a stay. However one of our trips this year is with water and electric only for 9 nights. I'm pretty sure we will be fine. Not sure about the others in our group.
Then be sure to allow for xx' of 3" sewer hose that's filled must fit into the tote as well or be prepared for smelly surprise.
Used mine for about a month for black water, was able to drain grey into blackberry bushes, then gave it away & will never own another.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote