Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #21
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My only reason for making that statement is to prevent the "Cliff Notes" reader that skips to the end to see what the fix was. I see that all the time in the way some folks, especially those that are new to forums, will reply with the same thing that was said previously (often several times).
Good point. For the sake of argument there are 2 main types of electric awnings that I've seen. They each have their own method for setting pitch.

1 - friction based pitch like the OP has. Just pull down the articulating the arm and it stays where you put it.

2 - Screw down pitch which will always stay fully extended until you pull it in and screw down the clamp to hold it in place. Unscrew it and it returns to fully extended.

This isn't an argument for which is better as there are pros and cons to both. It's just a matter of understanding how they work. It's the responsibility of the owner to understand how their own equipment is supposed to work but this forum is certainly a good place to go to get help and clarification.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Good point. For the sake of argument there are 2 main types of electric awnings that I've seen. They each have their own method for setting pitch.

1 - friction based pitch like the OP has. Just pull down the articulating the arm and it stays where you put it.

2 - Screw down pitch which will always stay fully extended until you pull it in and screw down the clamp to hold it in place. Unscrew it and it returns to fully extended.

This isn't an argument for which is better as there are pros and cons to both. It's just a matter of understanding how they work. It's the responsibility of the owner to understand how their own equipment is supposed to work but this forum is certainly a good place to go to get help and clarification.
There's also a 3rd that have push pins on each arm with 6 different settings to adjust pitch & can be left in any pitch to retract as long as there is no more than 3 holes difference in each arm.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #23
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's also a 3rd that have push pins on each arm with 6 different settings to adjust pitch & can be left in any pitch to retract as long as there is no more than 3 holes difference in each arm.
That sounds like a manual awning. If it's an electric one I just haven't seen it yet.

Something new to learn every day.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Carefree of Colorado electric awning: https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf Check page 4 for the illustrations of the "pin/hole adjustment procedure".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
jsb5717

Nice...thanks

OK, so there are 3 types of electric awnings...

Are there more?
Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Nice...thanks

OK, so there are 3 types of electric awnings...

Are there more?
If there aren't more today, after asking, there will be a 4th type introduced tomorrow

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #27
Greggde

I went through this same dilemma initially remedied by identifying the make and model then referencing operators manual on their web site. ours on the 2019 Fusion is made by Carefree of Colorado. I had an idea of how it should work I just wasn't applying enough force on the Detent Buttons. applied a little Boshield t-9 to the individual buttons and now have it working fine.
Greggde
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #28
Sokcap48

We have a 2018. HM305RL- now since the pitch has been discussed. We carry a shade screen with permanently fastened slides that fit into the slot in the awning. Yes it is high but we also carry a step ladder with us. That solves the problem. Thread the slides into the slot, pull the length of the awning and fasten the shade screen at the angle you want. Be careful! Don’t put up if at all windy. Hope this helps
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #29
Otty

I have the same awning with the same problem. Compared to other awnings, mine looks like it is way too high. The arms are pushing it out near 90 degrees. It stays flat and doesn’t offer any useful shade and water puddles up. I tried adjusting the arms, but they always return to stock position. My only solution is the aftermarket shade screen that attaches to the awning. I don’t see any other solution.
Otty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #30
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otty View Post
I have the same awning with the same problem. Compared to other awnings, mine looks like it is way too high. The arms are pushing it out near 90 degrees. It stays flat and doesn’t offer any useful shade and water puddles up. I tried adjusting the arms, but they always return to stock position. My only solution is the aftermarket shade screen that attaches to the awning. I don’t see any other solution.
What awning do you have?
Old 11-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #31
mtofell

My Keystone 5th wheel has the automatic awning with shock absorber arms and comes out near totally flat and offers little shade. I can manually pull the outer edge down but the "shocks" are too strong and just return it to flat. I got some C-clams and bungee cords and just clamp it to the rails on the 5th and it has worked nicely. After a couple years the shocks have worn a bit and it will now pretty much stay put.....sometimes. I also got a sun shade that is pretty nice not only for sun but keeps a bit of heat in when using my propane fire pit. I remember a ton of price variation when shopping for the shades online. I ended up paying around $50 for one that fits nicely and is of decent quality so shop around. If I remember right most I saw were well over $100.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #32
Otty

It’s a motorized solara.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #33
jsb5717

Quote:
It’s a motorized solara.
Perhaps more info or pics so we can offer more help.

I have a Solara with the articulating arms that are adjusted by pulling down. The arm will adjust up to 90 degrees. Mine stays where I put it. If it gets windy they can straighten out a little but they don't move much. In normal conditions they don't move at all.

If that is what you have and they don't stay down in normal conditions then it might be a warranty issue to discuss with your dealer. I can't remember if there is a way to tighten those arms and my rig is covered for the winter so can't go look.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #34
Otty

Unfortunately, going to the dealer isn’t an option. Camping World has not been receptive with the few issues I have had. The extended service plan was a waste of money too. I returned it for prorated return. I’ll just accept the awning issue I have. Luckily, I am very handy and can fix just a lot of stuff. Adapt and overcome is best applied here.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #35
jsb5717

Quote:
Unfortunately, going to the dealer isn’t an option. Camping World has not been receptive with the few issues I have had. The extended service plan was a waste of money too. I returned it for prorated return. I’ll just accept the awning issue I have. Luckily, I am very handy and can fix just a lot of stuff. Adapt and overcome is best applied here.
Well...bummer. That seems to be a common theme with CW. But being handy and capable of repairs is a good trait for any RV owner, regardless of warranty. Needing to fix stuff is just a part of RVing. I hope you find a good solution.

I don't know if it will get you anywhere but you might consider calling Keystone about the issue and also to complain about the service you've gotten from your dealer
Old 11-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #36
jsmith948

The manual shows a picture of the adjustable arm pivot point and describes how the amount of drag/resistance can be adjusted by tightening/loosening the bolt. Ours stays where we put it but it just doesn't change the pitch all that much.
Comparing this awning to the Dometic we had on our Cougar, I much prefer the Dometic.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning