Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #21
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I wouldn't think that anyone's choice to have pets/travel with pets would ever be anyone else's business. It certainly is an interesting subject and never fails to boost the forum contribution count.
I believe this photo, taken two years ago tomorrow, tells you how seriously some people take this 'travel with your pets' subject. Yes, that is my DW holding our since departed "Patches."

My thoughts exactly. It starts more as a rant or trying to divide into the those who hate people with dog(s) and their being anywhere near them and those who love having dogs be a part of their RV life. I don’t understand the point.

Obviously at some point we made dogs our perfect companions for a reason. The reason we take on any companion, we feel something lacking in our lives and we become more content, happy, when the void is filled.

It could be anything, pets, people, travels, things. We are all trying to plug holes in our lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	088A31C7-D0BE-4FAC-818E-9EDF89E2D083.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	23768  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
travelin texans

Didn't mean to hurt feelings, do not hate pets & could care less how many YOU have!
My question is/was why, other than show dogs, do you need more than 1, regardless of size?
You are correct also, it's none of my business, just curiousity!!
We've had big, small & in-between sized dogs, 1 at a time, loved all if them.
Most say if you can't take your pets you don't go. That's exactly why at retirement we chose not to have a pet, there were places we definitely wanted to go that the dog wasn't welcome. I can get another dog anytime, only visiting some of these places once & wasn't going to skip it cause of the pet.
This has become another tire, truck, gun thread, one of those that never end!!! Sorry!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
My thoughts exactly. It starts more as a rant or trying to divide into the those who hate people with dog(s) and their being anywhere near them and those who love having dogs be a part of their RV life. I don’t understand the point.

Obviously at some point we made dogs our perfect companions for a reason. The reason we take on any companion, we feel something lacking in our lives and we become more content, happy, when the void is filled.

It could be anything, pets, people, travels, things. We are all trying to plug holes in our lives.
A dag-gum philosopher! Right on the money. This type thread ain't bad as it allows everyone to pontificate and blow some smoke on a subject. The sad thread is when a question is asked like, "I have a leaky gizmo, what do I do?" Then 37 folks chime in with "when I was a lad" or "my gizmo doesn't leak" or other not so on-point nonsense. Don't think the OP expected anyone to change their minds about critters in the camper... he was just tossing out the line to see what he could catch and get a discussion going.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #24
notanlines

No, no, no, Danny! It has not become one of those. As a matter fact it has brought a little renewed vigor to a slow time in the forum. I believe we all behaved relatively well and you shouldn't feel sorry for the post. We could have been arguing why some couples have more than two children....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
No, no, no, Danny! It has not become one of those. As a matter fact it has brought a little renewed vigor to a slow time in the forum. I believe we all behaved relatively well and you shouldn't feel sorry for the post. We could have been arguing why some couples have more than two children....
Why have more than two kiddos? I have three and although my memory is failing me, I am pretty sure I recall how it happened.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Didn't mean to hurt feelings, do not hate pets & could care less how many YOU have!
My question is/was why, other than show dogs, do you need more than 1, regardless of size?
Most say if you can't take your pets you don't go. That's exactly why at retirement we chose not to have a pet, there were places we definitely wanted to go that the dog wasn't welcome. I can get another dog anytime, only visiting some of these places once & wasn't going to skip it cause of the pet.
This has become another tire, truck, gun thread, one of those that never end!!! Sorry!

I don’t think anyone’s feelings are hurt. I just don’t see the point.

In your first post, you stated that you don’t understand why people have multiple dogs. Ok I get it.

But at the end of said post, after some examples that seemed to irritate you, you said something to the effect “bring it on” to those who have multiple pets. Then I really didn’t see the point, and knew this thread would head south fast. It puts people on the defensive.

Some choices are just that choices. Right/wrong who knows. We all find ourselves at a point in our lives we never expected

Our last dog (#5) was dumped at shelter after his owner passed. He was 10, and full of non curable cancer. I had to grab him as he was going to be put down. Here we are 2 years latter, he’s doing great, minus an eye.

Why? I don’t know, I’d like to think I did it out of compassion, but who knows. I saw he needed us, maybe we needed him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6D1C7E45-6D62-466F-8FF7-7C1162DE8D2A.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	23772  
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #27
newemptynester

We have camped with our dog since we started camping. I had someone tell me once that they did not know that my dog was in our pop-up while we were gone. I do leave my dog's in the TT when we go someplace. We take them for rides if we are going out exploring but otherwise, all blinds go up, radio goes on, air conditioner if needed and we leave. She sleeps most of the time. We had one problem with one of our pups and she was crated in the trailer when we left. The only time I have camped without my dog is at the Indy 500. She would have been to scared to be alone in the TT there. To much noise, fireworks, etc.

BTW - I have used Bring Fido when we had to attend a wedding on New Years Eve and I know that my dog is afraid of fireworks and would bolt on someone if they were watching her, so, certain occasions she comes with us.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

I'm with Jim on this; the topic kind of invigorates the forum during a bit of a lull. Sort of like why fly drones ? Everyone does what they do for a reason that is important to THEM. We have no idea but it's sometimes fun to hear what folks do and why. For me, dogs are a good issue because I come from both sides of the fence; had outside dogs when I was younger, became allergic to them and cats so couldn't stand them - could even tell if one had been in a hotel room, then allergies went away and now have a wonderful companion that is also a huge benefit for DW. I also think some of the comments might give others something to take away or think about.

Anyway, I can't see any hurt feelings from any of the comments. I definitely see folks from both sides in campgrounds so some comment(s) might give me some insight as well. Unruly kids? That's a different conversation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #29
Fishsizzle

No hurt feelings, just don’t see the point.

I will say the “comfort” animal thing is out of hand. I don’t believe animals should be used as an excuse for us.

I was raised very much “pick up your boot straps” and move on. So while I can be a softy, I think some things we need to deal with in our lives head on, and not stay stagnant or use an animal as a crutch.

But I will also add, the more I’ve been on this earth, the more I have to take into account mental illness. It’s real and it affects way more people than we think. And so, you just have to let some stuff slide. Bite your tongue. Nod your head and smile. Then be thankful you don’t suffer with it every day
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 09-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #30
GlampingHippie

Well we have no humans to be responsible for and have the means to spoil two dogs. They have and will continue to travel extensively with us, and have logged more flights then most people I know. For us, we enjoy their company and miss them if they aren't with us.

As such, we choose to spend our money in places that welcome our dogs and do not attempt to stay anywhere that does not.

As someone else said, I like them more than most people.

Name:	20160803_210829 (2).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	23774 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160819_092729 (2).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	23775

(and yes they have their OWN chairs when we go camping)
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #31
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm with Jim on this; the topic kind of invigorates the forum during a bit of a lull. Sort of like why fly drones ?
I had never heard of a thing called a drone until I saw a TV show where Kathy Bates played an unconventional lawyer. She obviously had never heard of a drone either and one day a drone came over her property... I would get 30-40 feet above and she went ballistic and took out a large caliber wheel gun and blew it out of the sky. I thought that was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.

Didn't think much more about drones for a few years and lo and behold we had one sitting up at the top of the hill on our drive. I started thinking whether I had seen more black helicopters than usual and all kinds of crazy things. It kind of made me nervous. Wife said I was nuts and printed a flyer and put it at the mail boxes coming onto the main road. Sure enough someone called and it turned out his grandkids had been flying the thing and it went out of range for control and ended up a few miles away on my driveway. My wife said it proved something about me... can't recall what that was bwhahahahaha
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

We've had several canines over the years. When we were boaters (pre camping days) we would have a relative stay at the house and watch the dogs. When we got into camping and the kids were young we continued that practice. For the past decade or so that we've been empty nesters we take the dog(s) with us. One dog now, had 2 for dogs for many years.
Our animals were and are well behaved and we close the blinds, run the ac and turn on the radio to mask outside noise. I also would walk/run the dogs before leaving them to exercise them so they would sleep. That said, I still tape a note to the door and to the front window with my cell phone number in case the dogs are barking or there is a problem please call me.
I was raised to treat people with respect and consideration. You never know what someone else in going thru in their life and so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. That is until they demonstrate that they are just being stupid, then all bets are off.
Now what really sets me off are those people giving their pets a ride on a drone thru my campsite. I draw the line on that!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #33
ChuckS

I have two dogs. Chow chows that weigh around 60lbs each. One compliments the other keeping each other company when left alone. They do not bark.. most chows don’t. 4 dogs in an RV is a lot but if people can manage them and they don’t bark when left alone I’m ok with that as well

If my chows aren’t welcome then we don’t go... quite frankly I’d rather be in the company of well behaved dogs then most humans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	905E982D-A699-41B1-A6C7-5E2EC51557F5.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	23781  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #34
LHaven

When we RV, we are gone for a month or more at a time. We own three retrievers, because we are breeders. Our son lives in a place where he is allowed one dog, so he can take at most one. We're simply not going to put the rest of our dogs in a kennel for a month at a time, so they come with. There's plenty of room in back of the F-250. We bought the RV to serve our needs, not the preferences of the next fellow I might sell it to years down the road.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #35
Charcin1

We travel with 1 Rat Terrier, 2 Cats, and anywhere from 3 to 26 birds. I have 3 Lorikeets that go everywhere with me, and about 23 Canaries that live together in a large aviary. If we cannot find someone to check on them they go also. (Yes, we have permanent cages installed in the 5er.)

The dog and cats are no problem as they are super easy to care for, and part of our family. The 3 Lorikeets are rare birds that have very specific diets, and are quite costly birds, so I do not trust anyone else to care for them around my home. Can't kennel birds. LOL Birds also hide their illness very well, so by the time someone that does not know each individual bird notices something is wrong, it is usually too late. My birds are also part of my family, and my passion. My canaries are self sufficient as long as someone stops by to water and give them their fresh veggies for a day or two. If longer they also go with us.

This way when we vacation, or just go on a short trip, we load all the critters, shut off the mail, lock up the house and go! No worrying about the animals left at home. They all travel great, and are as used to the 5er as they are to our home.
Charcin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #36
Ccrew

Is the OP busting on my emotional support chicken or am I misreading this?
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #37
Starfleetmarj

Only 7 dogs in our 5vr

Why do we travel with our dogs? Because our aussies and border collies are performance dogs and part of our family. They are trained in agility and herding. We travel to shows with them and because we have 5-7 dogs at a time, motels are out of the picture. When we aren't traveling to shows and just camping, we go to places that allow dogs. Usually to some place with a body of water because they love to swim and hike. We play with them, we train them, and we compete with them. They cuddle with us at night, they sleep on the couches, and they sleep on the bed (not all at once thank goodness). Our dogs are not an inconvenience, our lives are geared around our dogs and we wouldn't have it any other way. They are happy well behaved dogs that bring a lot of joy to our lives.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #38
larryflew

We went small when we started camping. Have always had 2 or 3 dogs at a time. First was Springer Spaniels, Then English Cocker Spaniels (larger than US Cockers), then US Cockers and finally 2 mini Doxies. Unfortunately when you go small you also go barky. Been having to work on that for years with bark collars etc.

In the park that we winter in there are couples with 3 Newfs in large 5th wheel trailer, 3 German Shepards in small TT. 2 St Barnyards (spell checker said barnyards works , one with 5 mini pinchers and LOTS with different 2 dog combos.

I love dogs of all shapes and sizes but could never travel with those big guys and gals.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #39
bobz89013

But some need training

The only thing that bothers me are dogs out of control or that bark while their people are gone. We travel with a cat and dog both ride free in the truck. Yes we take our cat out but he has a harness and leash on. Our dog provided by the VA is a service dog. She may be off the leash while sitting outside with us but she doesn't move.
One other thing that irritates me are the people who put their dog in a run then leave.
bobz89013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #40
atkinsb3

After years of fighting it, I finally gave in and let my wife and kids get a dog about 3 years ago. My terms were, anything that comes out of that dog belongs to them, I'm not the dogs daddy or a pet parent and have no responsibility for it (other than financial but there's limits on that too).

After 3 years I have not picked up poop in the yard or cleaned up a mess the dog made in the house. I must admit with a few reminders DW and kids have done well.

One of my many arguments against it was that when we take it camping, we can't leave it alone in the trailer and it limits what we can do as a family, which has reared it's head a few times. I think all of the campgrounds we have been in specifically say you cannot leave your pet unattended.

All that being said, it's kind of funny how the thing I openly claim to liking the least in our house is always the happiest to see me when I get home at the end of the day!??! BTW, I truly do like the dog.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote