Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking about the sequence of events should an intruder break into an RV while the owner is inside: They're probably coming through the ONE door to the RV. If you are in bed, chances are when you use pepper spray, the intruder will be somewhere inside the RV, probably between you and the door. Spraying pepper spray "indiscriminately" to immobilize him might also mean that you're going to either be trapped in the RV "with the pepper spray choking everything that breathes" or you're going to have to step over him to get out to fresh air......

While spraying pepper spray might be the only alternative, think about what air you're going to have to breathe and if there are small children or pets in the RV's "closed up space", have you got a plan to provide fresh air for them???

I'm not saying don't use pepper spray in an enclosed RV, but if you want to know what it's going to be like, try it in the driveway. You may get an "eye opener" about what comes after you take your finger off the trigger......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking about the sequence of events should an intruder break into an RV while the owner is inside: They're probably coming through the ONE door to the RV. If you are in bed, chances are when you use pepper spray, the intruder will be somewhere inside the RV, probably between you and the door. Spraying pepper spray "indiscriminately" to immobilize him might also mean that you're going to either be trapped in the RV "with the pepper spray choking everything that breathes" or you're going to have to step over him to get out to fresh air......

While spraying pepper spray might be the only alternative, think about what air you're going to have to breathe and if there are small children or pets in the RV's "closed up space", have you got a plan to provide fresh air for them???

I'm not saying don't use pepper spray in an enclosed RV, but if you want to know what it's going to be like, try it in the driveway. You may get an "eye opener" about what comes after you take your finger off the trigger......

This is very true. When my grandson was young, maybe 8 or so, he did exactly what you describe; took a spray canister of pepper spray from his mom's purse and sprayed it....then walked into it laughing. That laugh disappeared and the tears and gagging started.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #23
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
the intruder will be somewhere inside the RV,
Pretty big assumption here to fit your narrative.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I think the trick here is to read how John posed the scenario: "Thinking about the sequence of events should an intruder break into an RV while the owner is inside".

The wording implies there are other scenarios but this sequence might/would be for someone actually breaking in through the door.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Having had up close and personal experiences with OC spray, I can tell you that you DONT have to be in an enclosed area with it to be affected. As I previously stated if your DOWN wind of it your probably going to be affected and it is NO JOKE!!! try subduing a combative person as your coating your self with snot, you cant really see anything and he/she is fighting. BTDT enough times....

It is a good option IMO if you take the time to "learn: about it, and that means exposing yourself so you know what its effects are on YOU. I was exposed to various chemical agents to learn how to react given any situation.

there is NO SUBSTITUE for TRAINING!! No matter what type of tool your going to use in self defense. And you cant just do it once, you need to practice regularly, maybe not the actual exposing yourself but at least the actions your going to attempt to take.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #26
Ken / Claudia

I have to ask to poster and not guess, what you wanting to protect from? Is it humans, animals or both?
Are you asking about anytime anyplace?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I think Danny (sourdough) pretty much summed it up, but, yeah, you gotta read the entire comment to understand the implications, otherwise, you wind up out in left field making assumptions about someone else's comments....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
Ken / Claudia

If we are talking about using pepper or OC spray, police grade inside a enclosed space. Do Not Do It.
I have been trained, sprayed and had updated training over 15 years. Used the stuff many times. Spray has real limiting use on humans. They will not just drop and roll around when sprayed. We watched bad guys in prison yards practice how to continue a attack while being sprayed. I will not go into those defensive measures on here.
The whole purpose to use the spray on a human is to prevent an attack, right?
If used during an attack it is to late.
You spray and move away. Or else you get the spray in your eyes. How the heck do you spray a bad guy in a RV and get away fast without taking in all the affects? You won't.
While spraying, we trained 1 man, 1 can. Not just a little quick spray, you make sure the bad guy is covered and if he moves forward it gets worse for him and you back up and get away. Think about spraying a can of paint to cover a wall, that is what you do. Start at the top, hold button down and "S" pattern the spray. Back up, if the bad guy comes forward he is moving into the cloud you made. You must leave the area or you become a victim of your own spray.
If you are legally justified to use the spray, do not warn or just point the can at the attacker. That will allow him to use defense measures to fight though the attack.
If you doubt my advice, go ahead and spray inside your RV and experience it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #29
UsTwo

I travel with two friends of mine. Mr Smith and a Mr. Wesson. but they don't go with me away from the camper.. I carry RedPepper spray away from the camper and I also have wasp spray just inside the door...With that said, there is also a little four legged critter that likes to look out the window..And likes to give out warnings if someone gets to close..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #30
gearhead

This is about the easiest web site to use for gun law info:
Handgunlaw.us
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 08-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #31
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
I travel with two friends of mine. Mr Smith and a Mr. Wesson. but they don't go with me away from the camper.. I carry RedPepper spray away from the camper and I also have wasp spray just inside the door...With that said, there is also a little four legged critter that likes to look out the window..And likes to give out warnings if someone gets to close..
Be careful using wasp spray on humans, there may be legal consequences. It may even be printed on the can in small print.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 08-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
CaptnJohn

My ccp is recognized in 36 states. Cannot get to HI so 13 are off my list.I just figure those do not want my money and don’t go there. Not a problem at all.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok. I said one more “I have...,” and I would lock it. Looks like I’ll make good on my promise, this thread did last longer than I thought it would.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread