Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Quiroule

Toilet odor

We have a foul odor in our FW restroom. It’s hard to locate the source in that very small space. The bawl holds water so the trap seal must be ok. I don’t know how this toilet works. It seems to come from the vacuum breaker, is-that possible? It seems to be in the water input line, where is the water shuts off, before or after the vacuum breaker.

We have a Thetford toilet, model Aqua-Magic style II.

Any input would be welcomed.

Thank-you

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is your fan on? Thetford toilets have known problems with leaks under the bowl that can lead to stink too.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Could be many things. If you have a mechanical vent (vacuum breaker) under your lavatory sink it should be only venting a gray water tank and would have a different odor than the black tank. They are under $10 and easy to replace.
As mentioned some toilets have been known for air leaks in the seam between the bowl and rim. The seal between the bowl and the floor may not be seated right also.
Also, if your roof vent is open and the wind is right odors from the rooftop black water vent can come back in depending on their proximity.

These are a few things we have come across in the past or you can simply blame it on your significant other.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I just made a post about this in the "Thetford?" thread you might want to read. If you have a leaking seal between the top and bottom (bowl will still hold water) the Thetford will leak on the inside down into those cavities and over time, evaporation, refill, dry up they will become VERY stinky. The cause could be a bad seal, OR, a loose screw holding the top to the bottom. There are 2 at the back behind the bowl - one on each side if one or both are loose it can leak. Any way you slice it I would just buy a Dometic and replace it.

Trying to clean those cavities is NASTY and you have to pull the toilet to do it. If you have to pull it, just drop a Dometic right back down. I would warn you to be careful if you put the old Thetford in the Dometic box and then lift it over the edge of a dumpster.....those cavities are full of foul smelling, yukky stuff and it WILL run out of those cavities and right down the front of your shirt - no, I don't want to get into it...again!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Quiroule

Thank everyone for your comments.

There is no lavatory in that small room and the fan is off.
It would make sense to have a seal between the top and bottom, but looking at the parts list I don’t see one for an Aqua-Magic II.
From these comments, I take it that it could not be the vacuum breaker.
I will check the screws holding the top to bottom and if it’s not that I will take the thing apart.

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Thank everyone for your comments.

There is no lavatory in that small room and the fan is off.
It would make sense to have a seal between the top and bottom, but looking at the parts list I don’t see one for an Aqua-Magic II.
From these comments, I take it that it could not be the vacuum breaker.
I will check the screws holding the top to bottom and if it’s not that I will take the thing apart.

Thanks

If it's reached the point of stinking I'm afraid you are going to have to take it apart/remove it anyway to remove the source of the "stink". I don't recall ever seeing a seal on the parts list either between the top and bottom and don't recall if you can even buy one - if memory serves me I believe they said it is a "non replaceable" part. I do know the loose screws will let it leak dirty water inside and down into those cavities in the corners.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet