Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
maximus216

New High Country 295RL floor plan now i can't decide!

I haven't been a fan of keystone since i owned a keystone hideout 5th wheel a few years ago. It was terrible, but that is in the pass and i was gonna purchase a grand design as my next 5th wheel. However, i was waiting for my cracker barrel order to get ready and decided to walk across the street to a keystone dealer and saw the new 295RL floor plan and fell in love with it. The length is only 34 feet compared to 35.8 for the grand design. They moved the washer and dryer hookup to the bathroom and now there is an extra chest of drawers and two closets. Which i think makes sense. There is no longer a huge empty space in front of the 5th wheel. One big negative is the heat registers are in the floor instead of in the walls, I have a sabre now and the registers are in the wall. I like to know what your thoughts are on this floor plan and the Montana brand in general.
maximus216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

On my 3rd Montana in a row. 1 was an HC. No problems with any other than cosmetic.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Gary4

My wife and I have a Montana High Country 305rl that we’ve owned for 2 years and we love it. Seems to be well constructed.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary4 View Post
My wife and I have a Montana High Country 305rl that we’ve owned for 2 years and we love it. Seems to be well constructed.
On the 295rl the cabinets seem quite shallow. Can you even fit plates in them? Is tha5bthe same on then305?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
Rambo

I will be picking up ours Thursday. We loved the floor plan and the lite colored interior. Ours has the heat pump in the main air and ceiling fan which would help on cool days. with the 0Deg. package it has more insulation in the floor and walls, I would think heat duct placement wouldn't be an issue unless you wanted to use throw rugs.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Stackable WD prep?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Rambo

side by side in bathroom cabinet
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
sherlosttraveler

picking up our new 295rl 10th anniversary edition sat.
our first 5th wheel . We have been looking at 5th wheels for 9 months and found this one by us in elkart.
sherlosttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
I will be picking up ours Thursday. We loved the floor plan and the lite colored interior. Ours has the heat pump in the main air and ceiling fan which would help on cool days. with the 0Deg. package it has more insulation in the floor and walls, I would think heat duct placement wouldn't be an issue unless you wanted to use throw rugs.
That "0 degree package" sounds very impressive but don't try to test it at 0 degrees!
In a 2 to 2 1/2" thick exterior wall there's no space for more insulation, the slide walls aren't that thick so even less. The underneath will have a layer of the foil bubble stuff with possibly a 2" duct from the furnace into that space.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
jsb5717

We also really enjoy our 305RL. When the 295RL came out I thought it looked like a great floorplan. The kitchen cabinets are a little shallow in ours so am sure they would be in the 295 as well. We have no trouble, though, loading all of our stuff. I love the front window of the 295 and the extra drawers as well. The only drawback for me is the lack of a window on both sides of the head of the bed...but that's a small thing.

I think GD also make a very nice rig. One difference for me is the larger basement storage in the Monty. The drop frame constructions does make a big difference. I now carry stuff in the basement that I used that have to carry either somewhere in the trailer or in the TV.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #11
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlosttraveler View Post
picking up our new 295rl 10th anniversary edition sat.
our first 5th wheel . We have been looking at 5th wheels for 9 months and found this one by us in elkart.
Nice! Ours is not here yet, but soon. Let us know what you think and any little tricks or quirks you run across.... Enjoy!
Old 11-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
We also really enjoy our 305RL. When the 295RL came out I thought it looked like a great floorplan. The kitchen cabinets are a little shallow in ours so am sure they would be in the 295 as well. We have no trouble, though, loading all of our stuff. I love the front window of the 295 and the extra drawers as well. The only drawback for me is the lack of a window on both sides of the head of the bed...but that's a small thing.

I think GD also make a very nice rig. One difference for me is the larger basement storage in the Monty. The drop frame constructions does make a big difference. I now carry stuff in the basement that I used that have to carry either somewhere in the trailer or in the TV.
Good input, 2 questions...1) can you fit normal size plates in the cabinets? They are indeed shallow. And 2) any issues with the Andersen. I love the idea but it just seems a little less strong when traveling out west, mountains, etc.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Good input, 2 questions...1) can you fit normal size plates in the cabinets? They are indeed shallow. And 2) any issues with the Andersen. I love the idea but it just seems a little less strong when traveling out west, mountains, etc.
Yes, we have regular plates, bowls, etc., in the cabinet above and below the hutch. They fit just fine.

There's a lot of debate about the various hitches. Most, if not all, of the objections to the Andersen come from those who haven't used it. Those who use it tend to love it. I love using this hitch. It's easy to install/remove and tows very smoothly and quietly. I haven't traveled coast to coast with it as some have done but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. My wife just retired and I will retire next year. We are planning for more extensive traveling with our current set up. I have pulled over Mt Hood, and other steep grades, with it without any issue.

The 295RL is well within the published weight rating. If you're installing onto a ball as I am then just make sure it is properly torqued down. Installs in minutes without breaking your back.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
jsb5717

The wife and I went to our local RV show yesterday and walked through the 295RL. I liked the floor plan and the bedroom layout and storage solutions. My wife, however, said she preferred our 305RL layout better. Obviously these kinds of preferences are very subjective and my wife is always the tie-breaker for this kind of thing.

Just saying, make sure you've actually walked through the floor plan before buying and that the wife likes it.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
Spletbr

Same here...she picked it!

Tags
floor