Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Smitty

Cougar lite 26RKS bathroom access

Anyone out there with a Cougar 26RKS? I am wondering if you have bathroom access with the slide closed? Looks like you’d access bedroom by rear door and galley by the other door. What I cannot see on any videos what the bathroom access is like when the slide is in. A picture would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I clicked on the web infor and seen a saleswoman do a walk through. The bedroom door and bathroom door swing outward to open, so the slide needs to be open to get through either doorway. There is a fix to that, push the slide out button. That long slide looks nice.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
Smitty

Yes, I’ve watched videos too and did notice the swing on the door. I’m thinking of a quick stop to use the “John” while just pulling over or where you could not put the slide out. It’s hard to get everything on such a small unit but access to the bath w/o the slide open is important to us. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #4
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yes, I’ve watched videos too and did notice the swing on the door. I’m thinking of a quick stop to use the “John” while just pulling over or where you could not put the slide out. It’s hard to get everything on such a small unit but access to the bath w/o the slide open is important to us. Thanks.
As bath access should be.
I can't count the times my wife thought the gas station I stopped at looked scuzzy and used the TT.
We also like eating lunch in the TT while on the road and extending a slide would not be convenient. I always carry fresh water too for just these reasons.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Smitty

Yes, I think it would be a deal breaker. Bath access is a necessity for us.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
bivijrjax2

We have a Bullet 248RKS and this is really the only dislike I have. This is our first travel trailer so at the time of purchase I didn't know to look for that. We can bump the slide out about a foot to gain access to the bathroom, not ideal but also not impossible. That is one of the things that will be on the list if we upgrade in the future.
bivijrjax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

That's what I do on this and last RV, when in a narrow park spot push button, slide comes out a ft and bathroom is available. That takes a couple seconds. At rest areas around here the park lanes are 12ft wide, there no problem with slide full open.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Zenitrame

Hi. I have a 2019 Cougar 26RKS. You do NOT have access to the bathroom with the slide closed.
Zenitrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
Eastham

I have the 27RKS you can get to the bathroom and the kitchen. It has a sliding door from the bedroom and the door from bathroom to the kitchen opens into the bathroom. All from the front door. Rear door is blocked with the second recliner. So you could use everything but they don't recommend walking on the slide when it is in.you can cook take a shower and sleep all with slide in its a 2016 xlite Rks with one slide.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
TTPRITCHARD

No bathroom access

We have a Cougar 26RKS and it does not have bathroom access with slides close. It’s cousin model Cougar 26RBS bower has it since the bathroom is in the back, and kitchen in the middle. Same trailer, different floor plan.
TTPRITCHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
kjohn

Well, I'm not in the same league as most. We have a 22RBS. One door, access to bathroom is right at the door. We could use the kitchen too, but we usually park where we can open the slide. We have only traveled mostly northern SK, AB, bit of northern BC, YK, and NWT. Lots of room!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #12
Northofu1

I had a 26 RBPR and I didn't like the trudge to the bathroom in the middle of the night, if needed. I didn't like opening the kitchen slide on stops even though it was the smaller of the two. I now have full access to bedroom, kitchen and bathroom from door. Handy for stops and overnighters.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:07 AM   #13
theasphaltrv'er

Well since everyone is bitchin bout having to open their side to use the crapper, I'll jump in. With our cheap 2014 26 sab, you can't get 3 steps in the door without having to open the slide to go around the counter to head to the crapper or bedroom or even the fridge. We've used it now going on 7 years and at every stop along the way, if for a break on side the road for lunch or a break at a rest area, we open the slide a couple or 3 feet. U know what, if that's the only thing that keeps me awake at night, is worrying bout having to put that slide out & back in each time we enter the 5'er on the road then life is just perty fantastic and is getting better everyday. It takes maybe 10 seconds to run it out and the same to put it back in. Once a very very slight inconvenience that has become a normal part of our RV experience.. Suuuuh..don't tell anybody but I've forgot a couple or 3 times to run it back in, but have never taken off with it out. Caught it before actually moving. hehe.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #14
copperhand

I just bought a 26RKS a few weeks ago and my wife and I both noticed that you can not access bathroom when slide is in. I know for sure the bedroom door has to be closed for the slide to come in but I'm not sure on the bathroom.
I could see where removing the dinette table when traveling would might allow you to access bathroom if door was left open. Will try this tonight when I get home.....John
copperhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Well since everyone is bitchin bout having to open their side to use the crapper, I'll jump in. With our cheap 2014 26 sab, you can't get 3 steps in the door without having to open the slide to go around the counter to head to the crapper or bedroom or even the fridge. We've used it now going on 7 years and at every stop along the way, if for a break on side the road for lunch or a break at a rest area, we open the slide a couple or 3 feet. U know what, if that's the only thing that keeps me awake at night, is worrying bout having to put that slide out & back in each time we enter the 5'er on the road then life is just perty fantastic and is getting better everyday. It takes maybe 10 seconds to run it out and the same to put it back in. Once a very very slight inconvenience that has become a normal part of our RV experience.. Suuuuh..don't tell anybody but I've forgot a couple or 3 times to run it back in, but have never taken off with it out. Caught it before actually moving. hehe.
Just some food for thought here. I'm not familiar with all types of slides, but on my slide, it uses wiper seals (I think that's what they're called), which flip from being folded in while the slide is closed to being folded out when the slide is open. These run up both sides and along the top.

It is important that these wiper seals be allowed to fully flip from in to out, so the manufacturer suggests never to open the slide less than full open, and then never close less than fully closed before opening again. This is to make sure the seals fully flip and not get stuck half way and then folded the wrong way.

This is difficult to describe, so perhaps someone can do a better job.

Tags
cougar