Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
scottm1

I just found my old post here and thought I would update the post on my second a/c install in my bedroom that I did a year ago. I bought a Coleman Polar Cub 9,000. I installed it in the vent hole in the roof over my bed. It works fantastic. I just ran the wire across the ceiling trim, to the corner of the room, then down the wall to a seperate breaker box mounted in my basement with a 20 amp plug. When I need 2 a/c units, I just use a heavy 10 gauge extension cord and plug into the electrical pole at the camprground to the 20 amp receptacle next to the 30 amp main cord that I always use. So far I have not had any problems with this method and it kept me from having to rewire my camper with a 50 amp service. My camper will stay cool on even the hottest days. The only real issue I had doing the install was having to make a wedge to go between the roof of my camper and the a/c unit to level the a/c unit because the roof of my camper sloped down in the front............. like most all others. The Coleman installation manual says you cannot mount the a/c in a "front down" angle. It said the unit has to be installed level, or up to a 30 degrees nose up angle. I made the wedge out of wood, then after I got the angle correct, I covered the wooden wedge with several layers of fiberglass matting and resin with a lip/flange to make certain no water could get to the wood and rot it. And if the wood did get wet and rot, there is enough fiberglass layers there to suppport itself....meaning the wood just acts as something of shape until the fiberglass sets anyway. The install makes camping much more enjoyable knowing it doesn't matter how hot it gets, you can still stay cool inside. As mentioned above in other posts, the front a/c isn't ducted, but that's ok. My wife actually prefers the constant humming above her when she sleeps so we sometimes will run the front a/c only just for the soothing sound the a/c makes. Another good point about the smaller unit is that if I am travelling and need to stop somewhere like a Wal MArt just to catch some shut eye for the night, I can shut the bedroom door and run my front a/c on just one of my Honda 2000 generators instead of running both of them for the big 15,000 main unit. I haven't actually done this yet, but statistically one Honda 2000 will run the small a/c if it has a hard start capacitor kit on it. I just thought I would update this old post with how my second a/c is working out for me in case anyone else is considering doing the same thing.
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
scottm1

Oh, and another thing I will mention to anyone having problems with keeping their camper cool on really hot days. These flat panel tv's really put out a lot of heat from the backside. I would notice before I put my second a/c in my bedroom that it would get noticebly hotter in there after I turned on the tv. I found out that the heat coming from the back of the tv was incredible, and built up fast in a confined area. The TV in my living room does the same thing, so if you are trying to cool your RV on a hot day while watching 2 flat panel LCD TV's, you may just be fighting a battle you can't win. Anyway, I just thought I would share this information as well. The second a/c solved all of my problems.
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote