Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Dude

Towing with Honda Ridgeline

We are towing our Passport Ultra Lite 199ml which is 3,800 lbs. Our vehicle is the sport model with all wheel drive and has a tow capacity of $5,000 lbs.
This vehicle is a V6 and I wonder if towing with a V8 would get better mpg. I was wondering if anyone else is towing with this vehicle.
Also, someone told me that by installing a chip with computer, would give it power like a V8 with better MPG.
My only question is if doing this might void my warranty.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

From what I can find:

The current 199ml I pulled up has a dry weight of 4090 lbs. and a gvw of 5400 lbs. Dry hitch of 458.

The truck weighs 4504 empty with a gvw of 6050 and payload of 1546. GCWR 10085.

Engine specs are 250 hp and 247 torque.

Some thoughts;

>If the trailer is loaded to gvw, it and your empty truck will be close to gcwr.

>Your tongue weight will probably be over 500 lbs. What kind of receiver do you have? Class and weight rating?

>The engine in the Ridgeline is not a fireball; my neighbor in the mountains owns one. With the specs it has it will struggle with 5000 lbs.

>Towing with a modern V8 will do wonders for the towing experience but I don't know if it would increase your mileage. Towing just equals bad mileage. You didn't say what you are getting but, to me, mileage is inconsequential. If you're going to tow an RV it's just part of the equation.

>Putting a chip in the truck will most assuredly void your warranty I would suspect. Plus, I've tried chips on 2 gas trucks in the past and it was wasted money IMO. Now, I think that some of the stuff they put on diesels really wakes them up, but, for me, they did nothing appreciable to my V8 gassers.

Just some thoughts and observations for you to consider.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
travelin texans

The Ridge line wasn't/isn't designed to be much of a tow vehicle & it can just barely be considered a pickup. I think they are a great vehicle for the in town guy commuting to work that needs to run to the lumberyard for a couple boards, but not to tow with.
As far as mileage, if you're getting 7-8 mpg or a little better then join the club. You don't buy a rv or a tow vehicle for fuel economy. If low mpg is an issue then buy a Prius & stay in hotels.
Not trying to be a wise a##, just my opinion!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Bisjoe

We pulled our 4,000 lb trailer home with a Ranger 4.0 V6 with tow package rated for 6,000 lb. capacity. After a few miles we decided we needed a bigger truck. The length was one big difference in how the trailer handles. The Ranger was only 203” long, yours I think is 210”, not much more. My F150 is about 2’ longer, and with 385 horsepower and tow package is rated for 10,000 lbs. I like being at only half the capacity. Pushing the limit means with water and propane tanks full plus the people and food, clothes and other accessories you may be over. Think of it as the tail wagging the dog. I wouldn’t be as concerned about gas mileage as with safety. For us the 36 gallon gas tank costs a lot to fill, but we can go a lot farther before having to stop at a gas station.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
notanlines

Dude, I'm afraid none of us has responded with the answer you're looking for. Your statement "installing a chip with computer, would give it power like a V8 with better MPG" Don't you suppose Honda Motor Division might be interested in that? I know your mom told you "If it seems too good to be true it probably is." Trade your Ridgeline for a pickup if you're financially able. Make it a full sized pickup and you won't have to look back.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Just an after thought,:

In the "olden days" you could swap back to the factory chip when going to the dealer for service or warranty. Not any more. The vehicles now keep better track of performance etc..., and will rat you out every time!

Welcome , and Good Luck.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Freeheel4life

So Hondata is getting some pretty (relatively) big torque gains with their tunes in the new 2.0L, but thats because of the untapped boost from factory.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...a-accord-2-0t/
Considering OP has a NA v6 he will net very little gains from a chip that will void your warranty.
Mid size trucks weren't engineered with towing in mind. Would say looking at 1/2 ton wouldn't be the worst idea. The 3.5 ecoboost is pretty incredible. Driven my bosses a handful of times with big boats in tow and it pulls like crazy when it starts building boost.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
From what I can find:

The current 199ml I pulled up has a dry weight of 4090 lbs. and a gvw of 5400 lbs. Dry hitch of 458.

The truck weighs 4504 empty with a gvw of 6050 and payload of 1546. GCWR 10085.

Engine specs are 250 hp and 247 torque.

Some thoughts;

>If the trailer is loaded to gvw, it and your empty truck will be close to gcwr.

>Your tongue weight will probably be over 500 lbs. What kind of receiver do you have? Class and weight rating?

>The engine in the Ridgeline is not a fireball; my neighbor in the mountains owns one. With the specs it has it will struggle with 5000 lbs.

>Towing with a modern V8 will do wonders for the towing experience but I don't know if it would increase your mileage. Towing just equals bad mileage. You didn't say what you are getting but, to me, mileage is inconsequential. If you're going to tow an RV it's just part of the equation.

>Putting a chip in the truck will most assuredly void your warranty I would suspect. Plus, I've tried chips on 2 gas trucks in the past and it was wasted money IMO. Now, I think that some of the stuff they put on diesels really wakes them up, but, for me, they did nothing appreciable to my V8 gassers.

Just some thoughts and observations for you to consider.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The Ridge line wasn't/isn't designed to be much of a tow vehicle & it can just barely be considered a pickup. I think they are a great vehicle for the in town guy commuting to work that needs to run to the lumberyard for a couple boards, but not to tow with.
As far as mileage, if you're getting 7-8 mpg or a little better then join the club. You don't buy a rv or a tow vehicle for fuel economy. If low mpg is an issue then buy a Prius & stay in hotels.
Not trying to be a wise a##, just my opinion!
So to those that have never towed with a Ridgeline it is capable of towing at full GCVWR and trailer size.
DD moved from Portland, OR to Boulder, CO we made the move with her 2006 Ridgeline with about 86,000 miles. We were pulling a U-Haul tandem axle box trailer. Trailer weighed right at 4,800#, Ridgeline had three adults, two large 100# dogs, and a load of STUFF in the 4th seat and the trunk was also full. The only place the package labored was on I84 on the Blue Mts of eastern Oregon, there is a place where it is at least a 7% grade, we did pulled down to about 45 on that grade, other than that it was a great drive!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
slow

TT frontal area if the enemy for smaller TVs. Many will state maximum frontal areas of 50 sq ft in their owners manuals. That usually means a popup.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Dude

Thanks to everyone who replied, I do appreciate your input.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

A few years ago I passed the only Ridgeline towing a TT. It was on that 7% I 84 grade on cabbage hill, Oregon and I passed it at 50, I guessed it was in the 25 to 30 mph speed range and I am damn good at guessing speeds.
I never talked with the folks so, There could have been other reasons for driving so slow besides lack of power. But needless to say I and the 3 other guys in my truck all commented on it. TT was a full size maybe 19 to 22 range.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #12
cabldawg

Buy a truck. Seriously...

A ridgeline is not a true truck by any means. If you're going to tow and get into the world of rvs just go ahead and get a 3/4 or 1 ton and be done with it. EVERYONE I know who gets I to rvs ends up going bigger in the future. Bite the bullet now and save $ in the end.
cabldawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing