Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Jamesotn

Unusual water leak

2012 Challenger 4 slides. At the very back where the couch sits , there is a small window on each side. We noticed that the carpet on both sides immediately below the windows was wet and molding. I checked the roof and all window seals..... Under the coach where the couch sits, I found a under cover to protect the underside of the coach. IT WAS FULL OF WATER !!! I drilled 4 holes in it 1 inch diameter....all the water ran out...thought the problem was solved.
Last week we had a super hard rain all day. After Thanksgiving we went over to close up unit and winterize. Carpet was damp 2 inches out from the side walls !! Carpet in front of the large rear window is dry !! There are no water pipes at the rear of the unit...no water leaking under the mid kitchen sink...
Has anybody experienced this ?? How did you fix it ???

Thank You Frustrated in Tennessee !!
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
CrazyCain

I would first find the source of the leak! Water leaks are tricky to find sometimes. If it rained hard all day, I would first check the Roof, seala and such, around windows also..

Good luck

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If I am reading your description correctly .... Inspect the metal trim near the bottom of the slide, if one or more of the screws have come loose or the caulking has failed it will leak to the floor. Also check the seal around the window and clean the weep holes in the bottom of the window frame. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Jamesotn

The windows I mentioned are not part of the slide, but I hadn't thought to check the function of the weep holes

Thank You
Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
roadglide

I had a water leak right at the metal frame on top of a window . I used small amount of silicon on the window seam . It was a slide window luckily.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Jamesotn

I have used silicone at the top of the windows, but didn't think to do the gasket at the bottom...thought as long as they had weep holes, wouldn't leak. Still though as I stated in my first post...when I drilled thru the protective cover on the underbelly...at least 2 gallons of water came out !!!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Rastatt055

I had a similar thing happen with my Copper Canyon. The floor was wet but no other signs of leakage. I took it to an RV repair facility that I know and trust and they found the leak. It was the roof. Even though I checked the roof and it looked good to me. Fortunately, my insurance agreed to cover the cost of repairs. The rear wall was replaced and the entire roof. $14,000.
I hope you don't have the same problem but the bottom line, Take It To A Trusted Expert.
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
bobbecky

We have had several of our windows, all at the ends of slides, that developed leaks, and all the leaks were from around the frame where it has the seal caulking between the frame and the wall surface. This was allowing water to seep in, travel down the inside of the wall, and then seep through under the wall where it soaked into the carpet. I caulked the perimeter of the window frame with a bead of silicone caulking after trimming the excess caulking that extended beyond the frame edge. Haven't had any leaks since. Fortunately, we caught the leak soon after it occurred and didn't have any mold issues or rotting floor, which some have experienced from leaks.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
Railrode1

Check the plastic caps(square) up top, where metal corners meet on the slide. I had a hard to find leak once, and it turned out there wasn't any sealant behind the corner caps.
Railrode1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak