Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
mach11961

1000 watt inverter

This may sound crazy but I hooked up to my truck and the truck wasn't putting power back to the 5th wheel. So I just used the gen. It's our first trip out and I was straightening out the basement area and I thought the inverter was on but it was turned off by the button. There was a green light burning on it, my question is can this stay on all the time or should I turn it off. The walk through wasn't the best so nothing was ever said about the inverter. Any information is welcome.
Thanks in advance
mach11961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depending on your make, the charge circuit isn't active without the key in the "run" position. I know Ford is designed that way. And if you do make sure you start the truck and let it run BEFORE pugging in the umbilical cord.
As far as leaving the inverter on, I would turn it off if your not plugged in or using it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

From what I can research (you didn't list any information about your RV in this thread), you have a Fuzion with a residential refrigerator. I'm guessing that you're asking about the inverter that provides power to that appliance? If so, remember that the Samsung residential refrigerator apparently doesn't have an "off/on" switch, so it's operational the entire time it's plugged in. That means that it requires power either from the trailer shore power (or generator) system (plugged in to shore power) or from the inverter/battery system. The battery in that system is typically a single battery, isolated from the main coach battery and may or may not be tied into the vehicle charging system. Also consider that the inverter system probably is not connected to the coach "battery cutoff switch". That means the inverter will be "powered on" and running on battery power as long as the trailer is not plugged into shore power (or the generator). It won't take long to completely discharge the inverter battery with the refrigerator operational.

So, with the trailer in storage and no shore power available, I'd open the refrigerator doors, turn off the inverter and "power down" the refrigerator system. Doing so will prevent completely discharging the battery. If you do have shore power available, leaving the inverter turned on will charge the battery in that system and maintain it in a "fully charged, float" condition. Turning the inverter off will cause the inverter's charge circuits to not charge the battery, so when you do tow, you'll not have a fully charged refrigerator battery at the start of your trip. It's my understanding that the refrigerator circuit is not connected to the tow vehicle system, so you won't be providing power to the inverter during towing and you must rely on that battery to power your refrigerator, so when it "dies" the refrigerator/inverter also "dies". In most of the residential systems, the inverter is the only "battery charging system" for that isolated battery, so turning the inverter off will prevent that battery from being charged. When on shore power or generator, the inverter is powered and will charge that battery, maintaining it "ready to tow".

In conclusion, I'd think that if the trailer is connected to shore power, leave the inverter on to maintain a charged battery. If the trailer is being towed, leave the inverter on to power the refrigerator and if parked for an 'extended time" without shore power, expect the inverter/battery to fully discharge unless the refrigerator is powered down by turning off the inverter, which prevents the battery from fully discharging.

I hope this is more understandable than it seems to me at this point......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
MattHelm21

Quote:
The battery in that system is typically a single battery, isolated from the main coach battery and may or may not be tied into the vehicle charging system.
That would be in a perfect world. Assuming there have been no changes since the 2016 model year and the trailer has not had any upgrades then there is one coach battery for the trailer and fridge combined(I added a second 12V battery in parallel). There is a separate converter and inverter. The inverter is dedicated to the fridge and the single plug behind it and accepts AC inputs from shore power, generator, or DC from the battery. AC always overrides DC.

I rarely touch the power button on my inverter(leaving it on). I disable the inverter by using the dial button on the battery compartment roof when I’m in storage but connected to shore power and want the fridge on. I leave it on when camping but connected to shore power in case there is a power outage. I also leave it on when towing or on generator power. I turn off the fridge when necessary using the breaker on the AC breaker box.

If you have to store without any shore power then I’d turn everything off and leave the fridge doors open as stated.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
mach11961

I'm sorry it's a Fuzion 423 with a residential refrigerator. And a Ford F-350. When plugged into the truck I should have power going through the inverter and wasn't letting that happen. I know I need to turn off when not used. I have a picture of how it should work but I'm not sure how to put a picture to this message
Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
MattHelm21

You should not only have power to the Fridge(I have the residential option as well) when connected to the truck but also when disconnected when it will run from the on board battery. Just know that the run time on a single 12 volt battery is not very long(overnight is doing well) so your desire to be sure that the truck is providing power while traveling is a good one. So why doesn’t it run while plugged into the truck? The cause is most likely one of two things(assuming the truck output is good). Either the button you found on the inverter or the dial in the battery compartment. I’m not sure if this is the one in front of your curb side passthrough compartment like mine but it looks something like the switch at the top of the image I’m attaching. Looking up at it, turn it clockwise about a quarter turn so the fridge will run of 12 volts(truck or battery). You should hear the inverter fan come on. It’s pretty noisy. When turned counter clockwise, the inverter will not run on 12 volts but will pass shore power or generator power through to the fridge. I’m also attaching a picture of my inverter powered on with the switch in the battery compartment off. Notice there is no display in the LCD but the green light is on indicating there is 120Volt AC present and passing through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E614650-C864-4545-A7FA-2F8C57037C6F.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	14155   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0C8C905-3F89-43D3-8DFF-308B7BB45B90.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	14156  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #7
mach11961

Thanks I do have 2 batteries. When I found that the switch wasn't pushed in, I pushed and the fan came on. And you're right it's loud. I didn't know about the other switch that you showed. I'll check that out
Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
mach11961

I looked at my other switch and it's in the on position
The walk through wasn't as good as it should have been
Thanks for your help
Old 10-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
mach11961

After checking and finding out the inverter was off. I unplugged and checked, my fridge has no power (no lights, or temperature readings). I can read the inverter and it says 116volts. I’m assuming that’s what it’s putting out. And nothing when the truck is hooked up. I hear the fan running
Thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
MattHelm21

Is there any chance your refrigerator was plugged into a non inverter receptacle? If you assume the inverter is not the problem then it acts like the fridge is not plugged in to the dedicated inverter receptacle. The next step would be to trace the receptacle back to ensure it is properly wired to the appropriate breaker and the inverter.

BTW, the inverter may be the problem and it might be worth a call to WFCO if all else fails.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
mach11961

Thanks I’ll check on that thanks again
Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
lonewolftx

Wink

Interesting info. Mine came w/ 2 batt’s and I added a 3rd to it on the lower tray, all in parallel. I always turn on the inverter when we transport and off when on shore power. Store with a 20 amp shore power adapter plug to run batt charger and keep frig running. Don’t see why one would run the inverter constantly if not needed given the pass thru AC system built into it. Sure if the power failed at the storage unit the batts would kick in but probably would drain before I would have checked on it.

The inverter is always “live” thru AC wiring hence green light. Pushing the power button turns on DC power as needed if AC goes off and the fans run too.

I have never turned the batt station inverter switch as I didnt know what it was so thanks for that tid bit. Much easier to access that switch vs. inverter button with storage bay full.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
mach11961

After my last post back in September. Just got it back from the the RV dealer some 6.5 weeks later. They found it had been wired wrong behind the drawer under the stove beside the the refrigerator. So it all works
Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
notanlines

Mach, thanks for the update. We appreciate it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

It would have been nice if fix was quicker but glad was corrected. Thanks for the update, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
It would have been nice if fix was quicker but glad was corrected. Thanks for the update, Hank
I agree.

Chasing wires in an RV can be a very daunting experience, BTDT a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote