Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

Air Bags

I have been told by a few 5ers I should invest in some airbags. I am not sold on them but would like to hear the pro's and con's from any of you who have them.

-2013 F350 Lariat turbo diesel 6.7,
B&W companion hitch, 18k
-2013 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Rhino

What was the reason given for you needing bags? Are you sagging a lot? I prefer the simplicity of Timbrens, but when towing something that doesn't sack out the truck, I don't run anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
trueweb

I have them and like them. I installed the airlift system with the wireless one pump. It's great for towing the rig and the flexibility allows me to run no air when the truck is empty. I can adjust the ride and height using the wireless remote no matter what I'm towing. I use my truck for a lot more than just towing the camper, so the airbags give me the flexibility I want.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 AM   #4
WaltBennett

Our truck came with them already installed. I don't know as I'd ever have purchased them otherwise, since I've never put more than 20 lbs pressure in them - and without the trailer hooked up they make the truck ride very stiff. Usually only have about 3-5 lbs in to keep them from getting pinched.

But that's my F350 long bed dually, and I try balancing trailer weight so there's not too much on the pin. If you front load your rig and/or have a truck that doesn't like a lot of weight in the bed, you may need something to keep things level.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
tgoodwin321

We installed airlift 1000's before our last trip and made all the difference for a comfortable tow. We had problems with sag and porpoising. With the bags at 30lbs it leveled the truck out and eliminated the bounce. Couldn't be happier or more confident towing our bumper pull now. No noticeable difference in ride unloaded so I've just left the bags inflated between trips.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
FlyingChief

The primary role of air bags is to correct squat or sag or to level the truck. When you are hooked to your rig and the truck is supporting the weight, it should be level. If it is, then you don't really need air bags. If it is low in the rear, then air bags are a nice solution.

I needed them on my F350 long bed SRW. Firestone. When not towing, I just kept the minimum 5 lbs in them and they didn't impact the ride at all. When towing, I needed to run about 30 lbs, which leveled the truck.

My current truck, a Ram 3500 long bed DRW, doesn't squat enough to need them. In fact, I'm still a little tail high, even with my 40' Raptor sitting on the truck. I certainly wouldn't want to raise it any higher!

Another important point that some folks seem to miss. The airbags don't do a thing to increase your weight carrying capacity. The truck's ratings are the same, with or without the bags.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Dave W

I use them to level up the truck. I towed without them and even with the max capacity springs Ford offers with a 250/350, I was too close to the overloads with the 2" rear spring block. Now, with the air bags, a more comfortable ride IMO with the trailer in tow plus it's level. I run 25-30 psig loaded, 5 or so solo. Your question - do you need them - no way to tell, but if you are running level, and if your truck has overload leafs and if there is no contacting of those leafs, you 'probably' don't need them. But with that said they do help in the overall control of the combo. There are two major players, Air Lift and Firestone Ride Rites (what I use) and both are good products. You also have several choices to air them up; manual - separate compressor or even hand pump or an on board compressor with only the contents of your wallet determining how you want to go.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

As you can see in my picture the trailer sits pretty good. When we drive down the road we get lots of bouncing and I call it chunking. I was told airbags would get rid of these two problems. I have really appreciated all of your advice so far and information. From what I have read from all of you is..If my truck trailer is level, I do not need them. Then how do I get rid of the bouncing and chunking?

B&W companion hitch, 18k
Old 06-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Air Bags

Air bags won't eliminate the chucking, but if your bouncing on the overload springs they will certainly improve the ride. You could change your pin box, there are a couple of options available. If you have a non sliding hitch you could change it to a hitch that has air ride.

I have air bags with on board air. My old fiver had 1975# pin weight and I did bounce on/off my overloads. Bags took care of that, current fiver is only 1245# and I just installed a trail air Rota flex pin box. Haven't towed yet so I can't say it did anything yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Desert185

Andersen hitch and Timbrens combination works well for me. I think the deciding factor is whether the TV is level when the fifth wheel is connected. If it needs a lift, then the decision is Timbrens or bags depending on the degree of lift required. In my case, not much of a lift was needed. I'm very happy with the simplicity of the Timbren system and their negative effect when the fiver isn't hitched.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Dave W

Air bags at a fairly low pressure wont raise the truck nor trailer but will help control the load. New, heavy duty shocks may also contribute to a better ride, less bounce. Bilstein, Rancho 9000 or what I'm using, KYB are all great. An air or rubber snubbed pin box may help, but the trailer will still be bouncing but just wont transmit as much of the up/down force. Is it the truck that's doing the bounce or the trailer or a combination? I would start with the easiest, least expensive - shocks, especially if they are original and have a bunch of miles. Unfortunately too many buy a truck (suburban Cadillac) and expect a boulevard ride and the manufacturers give 'em what they want instead of a real truck with a solid ride and cargo capacity and Ford leads the way (yeah, I know, my Ford needed help too)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN View Post
As you can see in my picture the trailer sits pretty good. When we drive down the road we get lots of bouncing and I call it chunking. I was told airbags would get rid of these two problems. I have really appreciated all of your advice so far and information. From what I have read from all of you is..If my truck trailer is level, I do not need them. Then how do I get rid of the bouncing and chunking?
Looking at your picture, pretty small, got a bigger?
It looks like your TV is squatting a bit, bags will help tat the bouncing, get some real good shocks, Bilstein is a good choice. 5er looks level, does it have shocks??? That will help the bounce also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
collins590

I have the airlift 5000 bags on my f250 and I've found it makes a huge difference towing. I got them when I started taking my atv in the truck while towing my trailer. They will take a lot of strain off your springs and make your truck ride more like it's empty or a small load. Upgrading your shocks will also help with the bouncing, I know that my 250 with the fx4 package rides a lot smoother empty or full than my 2011 did without the fx4 package and the only really difference is the rancho shocks, so I would look into that as a possibility of your still having issues.
collins590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

You have all given me great advice and I say . I will check my shocks first, hook onto my 5er and check my springs. any more advice and help will be appreciated..

B&W companion hitch, 18k
Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
mtofell

IMO airbags can help long before the *** of your truck sags noticeably. They just stiffen the rear end and help support the load when at or near the max payload. When loading up a 5th wheel you're way past what shocks will help you with. The analogy I'd offer is that different shocks to help a 5th wheel pin weight nearly maxing out a truck is like a midget pissing on a forest fire.

When running a 250/2500 up near the max, airbags help greatly in not only leveling the truck but with the bouncing that occurs over uneven surfaces when loaded near the max.

I've run several trucks and 5th wheels with and w/o bags and the difference is night and day. For the +/- 500 to have them installed just do it. A modern truck and 5th wheel cost 80K or more combined - is trying to save 500 really worth it? They certainly can't hurt anything.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #16
collins590

Shocks are definitely not going to help with sag at all but what they do help with is bouncing, which occurs when your springs rebound the truck when the weight comes off after going over a bump. Good shocks will slow down the rebound and compression, making for a softer and smoother ride, but they will not help raise the truck at all. If you have sagging and bouncing, get air bags and a decent set of shocks.
collins590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #17
concours

All I can say is I've used Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my current and previous TV's and never regretted installing them they easily install with no drilling etc. I've never had problems with spring sag or premature shock failure I feel they are just a good investment. I use the basic kit and air up as needed with a 12volt portable compressor, on my current rig I put in 20 to 25lbs of air which compensates for about 1000lb of weight 400lb for each 10 pounds.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
xcntrk

I use the Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate with the internal Jounce bags. I manage them using the WirelessAIR dual zone system. The overall system works like a champ! I usually air them up until the overload spring is just barely resting on the overload perch. So the rig still has about 1.5" of sag but enough extra support to pick the *** up off the ground. I found that airing them up to the point where the overload springs are not engaged makes for too "bouncy" of a ride in the back. Better to leave the overload spring to do it's job, but help it out with the air-bags.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #19
Pmedic4

Air lift bags

On my old truck, it sagged quite a bit, so I installed airbags, and really helped with the sag and when towing actually made the ride better. When not towing, dropped the pressure down to 5 pounds, and regained the empty ride comfortable too.

I will say my original truck was close to it's limit, so not surprising about the sag. Did still experience some chucking even with the airbags, so it won't eliminate it, or at least all of it. On a 1200 mile trip, had some chucking on a few roads in Wisconsin.

Took a 3000 mile trip with the new 2500, and never experienced any chucking, and it doesn't sag any! In fact I was hoping for about 4-5" of drop, and at most, got about 1-1 1/2".

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #20
Barbell

I had Air Lifts on the old truck because our first camper was a big Lance truck camper. The air bags at 80 psi made it drive and ride fine. With the fiver, I ran them at 40-50 psi and again, it rode and drove fine with little or no bounce/chucking except on really rough roads like around Jackson MS. The new truck has factory air suspension and it works even better, in my opinion.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote