Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
abc40kids

Tire Question

So who kept their E rated tires on without problems, I'm like 13,300 dry running the Trailer Kings 235/80-16. In two weeks we leave on our first little get away about 2 hours away. I don't usually get much over 55 and always keep the air right. These tires look good just sitting there but look worked going down the road. I'm used to looking at the G rated tires where the sidewall doesn't squat at all.

So who's as heavy and running the same with no issues?? Ideally I'd like to get some use out of them before I change them.
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
ChuckS

Tire Question

My Alpine 3010RE came with same tires as yours.. Ship weight advertised is 11580... I ran with them for 1 season.. 80psi and always towed at 62.. Have TST507 tire monitors and the second trip down from Idaho to Las Vegas in mid May had me concerned watching the tire pressure and tire temperatures rise.. We made two trips to Vegas (1200 round trip) and two trips to YNP (725 round trip) a few short distance pulls up into the mountains.
Had no issues.. Tires replaced with Geo Star G574 G rated 14 ply.. Stock wheels stamped 110psi so upgrade ok..
I know I will not be driving down the road this year with one eye locked on the tire monitor..
And yes, the trailer kings I took off looked like brand new still...but.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
abc40kids

Tires

Thanks Chuck, think I'm gonna stay with the Trailer Kings for this first trip and then look to go G-614's. Thanks for your information!
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
ChuckS

Tire Question

Your welcome. Tons of threads and such on tires. I made what I think was correct choice after 1 season. I think a lot also Ja to do with how a fella maintains his tires and how fast he tows
62 is a comfy speed for me with my fiver. Of course my diesel dura max and 6 speed Allison will go faster. I just see no need. 13.5mpg at 62 works for me

Do watch your tires in the hot weather. A TST507 or something like sure gives you a peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Western Traveler

I am running 225/75R15 E rated Trailer King tires. We put 3500 miles and change on them last season. Proper inflation and monitored continually. Towing speed 60/65 mph though I found myself creeping to 70 on occasion on some of the open roads. WORRIED constantly because of all the horror stories I have read here.
Short story;
I am a mariner and was hired to take a workboat to Alaska last season. As many know aircraft tires are often used for fenders on these vessels.
We got into a storm and tore about 20 tires off a side while in transit. We pulled into Port Angeles Wa and a tire store there loaded us up with used vehicle tires for replacements so we could continue our trip.
We had to drill through the thread using a hole saw in order to run cables through them for mounting. Averaged about 15/20 minutes per hole getting through the steel belts and all. As I started on one tire the drilling wasn't so tough but as soon as I hit the steel belt with the hole saw it bound and immediately tore about a 6" hole across the tire. I knew without even looking but did anyway, 15" Trailer King.
Debated all last year but not anymore. I just ordered a set of Maxxis to be installed next week for my 1350 mile trip back to Montana. More than anything I am concerned with road hazards. Generally I tend to error on the side of caution.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
rbev2308

My parents have E rated on their Alpine and I know its not the original set being the date stamp on the tires are from 2013 and the camper is a 2010. They had two blowouts today on 95 outside of Richmond. Each 12 miles apart. My opinion, older tires that had very little treadwear sitting on the lot of a used camper they bought last winter and 100 degrees outside so that Interstate temp probably pushing 140 or more and to be honest, not sure why a 12,000 lb trailer has E series on as once you load the thing a little bit, you sure are pushing the limit on each tire weight wise. It is why I put G series on my new one before it left the lot. I think they have that planned for tomorrow providing they get no more blowouts today. I think they are gonna park and finish the trip outside of DC tonight.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote