Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
walker1

towing fiver with f150

New member here.
I have a 2010 f150 lariat with the max tow and 7700 gvrw package. It has LT tires and a payload of 1500 after the options are subtracted. Tow rating is 11100 lbs.

Bought a cougar sab27 xlite fiver as the floor plans is great for 2 little boys and missus. Also, the lightest pin I found at 1090 lbs. Trailer weight is 7010 with propane and battery.

My gross cargo ( weighed is under 1000lbs)

Weighed everything axle, rear axle, trailer and am under on all but close on gvwr.

Rear sag is close to 2" and this is concern. I know airbags will make it safer but not increase gvwr. Don't want the headlights up to the moon.

Anyone towing with a combo close? How do you find the tow?

Upon picking it up and towing 300 km, it was great!!!! Previous tow was a TT weighing 5000.

I tow 90 km in a hundred zone and 80 in a 90 etc. Not a speed freak.

What do you think?

thanks

Rob
Calgary Ab, Canada
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Jim W

Hi, Welcome to the forum and I hope you will enjoy your new camper.
I do not mean to dampen your sprite's, but I am not a fan of 1/2 ton trucks pulling a 5er. I know they advertise that some can be pulled, but you are maximizes out the truck to do this.
You did mention that you weighted the truck and camper correct?
What are the weights that you have, real numbers. Such as gross front axle/rear axle weight of your truck and then what did you weight. What is the combined weight of the truck/camper.

What is the load rating on your LT tires. For example my tires are LT265/70R17E. The E rating is for 3,145LBS a piece could be off by +/- 25lbs on my numbers.
I would definitely put air bags or Timbrens on, just to level out the truck.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
walker1

fiver

Thanks Jim
I appreciate your response. I have read a lot on this topic and I believe the problem is the term 1/2 ton. The specs on the newer trucks are a lot different than even my 2001 XTR.

The weights I can recall are as posted:
truck with trailer pin is 7600
rear axle 4150 rating is 4500
front? 3550 I think
combined was 14 700 and the rating is 17100 lbs
tires are load c with each being 2650 lbs 5300lbs

I think the airbags bringing things level will make the safety factor what I need. The pwer aspect is not a question and the 6 speed tranny should be fine.
I think the weak link is springs. The manufacture wants the trucks to drive smooth and have payload.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
geo

80% Solution

I can't remember where I read this, but it is something that I fully agree with:

Any of the actual weights for towing should, at maximum, not exceed 80% of the TV weight rating tow specifications.

The reason for this is that it leaves a 20% reserve for those times when you might (emergency or mountains) need it.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Flyguy

I have to agree with GEO. When we were looking for a 5ver to pull with our Tundra I wanted one that would be at or under the 80% rule. Here are the numbers on our Tundra; empty weight = 5395lbs Gross weight = 7000lbs Payload with standard spring pack = 1605lbs GCVWR = 16000lbs Max tow rating = 10400lbs. The numbers on our 5ver are; GVWR = 7880lbs Empty weight = 5560lbs. We usually travel at about 6000lbs gross for our TV's weight (under the 7000lb limit) and we load about 1000lbs into the 5ver so we're at about 6600lbs of 5ver weight. add to this the TV weight of 6000lbs and we have a GCVW of 12600lbs (under the max of 16000lbs). 80% of the Tundra's tow capacity of 10400lbs is 8320lbs so we are under that too. All in all I'm happy with our 5ver selection. It pulls just as easily as it did when we were pulling our Passport TT and the mileage is about the same at 12mpg.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
deadeye

I've been towing a Springdale 24ft 5th with a f150 2002 (7700 model) since we purchased the 2 units in 2003 with no problems. The new Fords with the 3 valves and 6 speed tranny are much better. Sure more power would be nice but i'V always made it up any grades in Eastern Canada and the US ahead of the 18 wheelers. We have 110,000 Km on it now with no problems in the motor or tranny. I change the tranny oil ever 25 -30K km.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
Jim W

I believe any vehicle will get the load going and once up to speed the truck will maintain that speed with that said load. What I worry about will that truck be able to stop this mass going down hill in a timely and safe manner.
The brakes on a typical Ram 1500 (1/2 ton truck), since this is what I can fine the exact information for. The Front Disc size is 13.22X1.1, the Sq In area is: 126.5", the Rear Disc size is 13.85X.86, the Sq In area is: 121.1". The brakes are similar size on both a 3/4 ton HD and a 1 ton HD truck. The size is Front 13.9X1.39, the Sq In area is: 313.2" and the Rear Disc size is 13.9X1.18, the Sq In area is: 309.6".
As you can see they are over double in size than 1/2 ton truck in square inch area braking ability. This to me means I have more braking area and less chance for fading of the brakes, as I stop the load. I am sure the other manufactures that build all three models of tucks are very similar in design. I know my 2001 3/4 Ton Chevy was similar to this set-up that I quoted above.
I also wonder what will happen to the new models of Chevy/GMC, Dodge and Ford along with the other manufactures of pick-up trucks, when they start testing to the new SAE towing requirements. I believe all of the trucks will have different load ratings then they do today. Some may go up in rating and other may go down in rating load ability.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Flyguy

I can only speak for the Tundra when I say that the brakes on it are massive to say the least. They are designed to stop a 10,000lb load and I have not had any problems while towing through the smokies when we had the TT. I always use selective shift mode and down shift accordingly by listening to the sound of the engine and keeping it in the sweet spot when climbing a mountain and also when going down a mountain. I don't expect the Springdale to be any different. BTW the advertised empty pin weight of the Springdale is 880lbs for the 2005 249fbh.
Timbrens
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
walker1

Thanks for the responses.
The brakes on the truck are also massive.I believe 13.75 or 13.8??? I used the tow/haul mode when towing my TT through the rockies and the downshift with braking was great.
Also, the fiver has it's brakes and the truck has the intergrated controller. Most importantly, I consider myself a safe driver. However,one does have to worry about others on the road.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
walker1

Probably going to put the Firestone airbags on soon. Anybody out there use them?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Flyguy

There are a number of our members that have put them on their TV's and have said that they are working out ok. My individual preference is for adding a helper spring to the spring pack such as "Supersprings". I like the fact that once installed you don't have to mess with it anymore and the fact that the unloaded ride is not affected at all. They automatically adjust to the load so there's nothing that you have to do. JMHO.
Timbrens
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
walker1

I have read others say it does effect everyday unloaded driving. Great to hear opionions all around. thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Flyguy

Supersprings does not. It's only one leaf that has a roller at each end. http://www.supersprings.com/pdfs/sup...gs_general.pdf Tension is set on the rollers just to keep the extra spring from rattling. The unloaded ride is not affected. This is the route that I'm taking because I feel that it suits me best. Others will have to decide which is best for them.
Timbrens
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
walker1

Flyguy
Did the supersprings bring the rear truck height up a lot when unloaded? If so how much? I am rethinking things and the only issue with the bags is I can see them prone to leaking.

My truck sagged almost 2" with the fiver on. I am sure 1" is fine. Would like to be as level as possible and still have the nice daily drive.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #15
Umpie007

I have Firestone Ride-Rite bags in my current truck as well as my last truck which was an 08 Chevy half-ton and I really like them. To answer the original post, in my opinion I look at the weight of the rig and the towing capabilities of the truck and in my opinion you'll be fine. I had no problems pulling my 5er through the insanely steep Mississippi River bluffs and the hilly terrain of Southwestern Wisconsin where I come from. Just guessing at this but the total weight of my camper loaded up was upper 7000's, I guess I have a good sense of the vehicles limits and don't get overly worried about a numbers game. Definitely have a good brake controller (since half ton brakes tend to be on the medium duty side) and I would put bags in it for a better ride and better stability and handling on the road. It was the best thing I did when I towed a 5er with a half ton, and I enjoy them in the 3/4 ton just as much, but I also pull a gooseneck alot with a skid steer or a tractor quite frequently to the farms for delivery and pick-ups. As far as leaking bags are concerned, I haven't had a problem with the strucural integrity of the bags themselves but have however had a leak at the push connect fitting. Simple and cheap fix. Add-a-leafs are fine and helper springs are dandy, but you have 100% adjustability in your ride comfort and height when it comes to air bags. Maybe this is why about every semi on the road has airbags supporting their seats, cabs and tractor/trailer suspension (comfort,reliability and adjustability to the load/weight) If this a concern for you like it sounds it is then you should put in bags or timbrens. My preference is bags, but that's only my opinion...

2006 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, PPE Power Programmer, Pyrometer and Boost Guages, Custom Exhaust with LB7 Downpipe, EGR Block, PCV Reroute, Transgo-Jr Allison Transmission Kit, Cold Air Mod to Factory Air Box, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion Hitch
Umpie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
Flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Flyguy
Did the supersprings bring the rear truck height up a lot when unloaded? If so how much? I am rethinking things and the only issue with the bags is I can see them prone to leaking.

My truck sagged almost 2" with the fiver on. I am sure 1" is fine. Would like to be as level as possible and still have the nice daily drive.
Thanks
I haven't installed them as of yet but to answer your question, no. The unloaded squat is the same as without the Supersprings and that is what my research on them has been.
Timbrens
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
walker1

Thanks too all your replys fellas. Taking time to make decisions and it is -27 in Calgary today so no rush to camp!!!!!!!!!

Both have their pros and cons....................just have to figure what is best for my current situation. If SS don't raise the truck unloaded I like the option.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
walker1

Do you think Timbrens would reduce the sag to 1" or so? Who uss timbrens????? likes....dislikes????
Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Umpie007

Here's a link to a recent discussion that might interest you on your timbrens/airbags question..
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2074
If it doesn't work it's under the fifth wheel section. There are also discussions on Super Springs as well. Opinions vary across the board.

2006 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, PPE Power Programmer, Pyrometer and Boost Guages, Custom Exhaust with LB7 Downpipe, EGR Block, PCV Reroute, Transgo-Jr Allison Transmission Kit, Cold Air Mod to Factory Air Box, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion Hitch
Umpie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
turbodog

Ford F-150 TV

I currently own a 2009 Ford F-150 Lariet, 4X4, 5.4L V8 and tow a 2010 Cougar 276rl. So far I have not had real difficulty. The Ford gets approximately 10 mpg with a total camper weight of 8400 pounds per the Flying J scale. I have been to North Georgia mountains and the Ford did quite well both towing and stopping. However, I would not go with any other unit that was any more heavy. Looking at a 2011 F-250 diesel as I may want to move up to a Avalanche 290.

Maybe this info will help.
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote