Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
I learn everyday.

I was once TOLD I had to work overtime. I packed up my stuff and went home. Boss did not talk to me for weeks. When he finally did , I told him you can ask me to do something but try to tell me !!! I did not need that job that bad. I have helped out and worked overtime but its always my choice and only if im not going Camping.
Good thing you quit because in my business you would not have lasted long. It's sort of funny but the customer really did come first, even if that meant we all had to pitch in and get the job done in a timely manner.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #22
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Good thing you quit because in my business you would not have lasted long. It's sort of funny but the customer really did come first, even if that meant we all had to pitch in and get the job done in a timely manner.
I never quit. I have been there 19 years now, 3 different owners and promoted twice. I have never told anyone to do OT. I treat people as equals , and ask if they can help out when needed. Never take advantage of them. IT is a job, not their life.

Have a look at todays divorce rate.< increasing yearly as their debt does > Perhaps if some people spent more time with their wife and kids , they would still have them to come home too.

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:
•The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
•The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
•The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
I never quit. I have been there 19 years now, 3 different owners and promoted twice. I have never told anyone to do OT. I treat people as equals , and ask if they can help out when needed. Never take advantage of them. IT is a job, not their life.

Have a look at todays divorce rate.< increasing yearly as their debt does > Perhaps if some people spent more time with their wife and kids , they would still have them to come home too.

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:
•The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
•The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
•The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

Married to the same woman... 42 years and work OT every chance I get.. she love it
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Married to the same woman... 42 years and work OT every chance I get.. she love it
You are one lucky guy.

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You are one lucky guy.
Many of us are "lucky guys" as well. The first 26 years of my "life" was in the military. I was home when I got a chance, but standing alert, ready to fly, fixing jets, TDY's to "God-forsaken places" and then, when home, marching in parades to carry the flag to show the "civilians we care"....

Then, after retirement, in a moment of "uncertainty" I decided to go into healthcare. Between college getting a master's in nursing, then a doctorate in nursing, the "school years" made for some "sketchy" home time. I never left the hospital or my clinic "on time" and I was "forever being called at "O-dark-30" to head to the ER to see one of my patients. None of them were ever told, "No, I'd be on overtime"......

And through it all, one great daughter who has her "head screwed on straight" and one super son, adopted in Korea while I was there, "away from my family". Married to the same wonderful wife for 46 years and planning our 50th with vigor. Oh, by the way, she put her career on hold while I was in the military, and afterward, became a hospital administrator and CFO for a major healthcare organization before she retired. We both stay busy volunteering in healthcare and other community projects, many that require "overtime" to keep them running smoothly.

So, the divorce rate statistics, to me, mean more "attitude" from people who view things as "disposable" rather than trying to work to fix them. Heck, maybe they weren't interested in "working overtime" to fix their marriage either..... Hmmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #26
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many of us are "lucky guys" as well. The first 26 years of my "life" was in the military. I was home when I got a chance, but standing alert, ready to fly, fixing jets, TDY's to "God-forsaken places" and then, when home, marching in parades to carry the flag to show the "civilians we care"....

Then, after retirement, in a moment of "uncertainty" I decided to go into healthcare. Between college getting a master's in nursing, then a doctorate in nursing, the "school years" made for some "sketchy" home time. I never left the hospital or my clinic "on time" and I was "forever being called at "O-dark-30" to head to the ER to see one of my patients. None of them were ever told, "No, I'd be on overtime"......

And through it all, one great daughter who has her "head screwed on straight" and one super son, adopted in Korea while I was there, "away from my family". Married to the same wonderful wife for 46 years and planning our 50th with vigor. Oh, by the way, she put her career on hold while I was in the military, and afterward, became a hospital administrator and CFO for a major healthcare organization before she retired. We both stay busy volunteering in healthcare and other community projects, many that require "overtime" to keep them running smoothly.

So, the divorce rate statistics, to me, mean more "attitude" from people who view things as "disposable" rather than trying to work to fix them. Heck, maybe they weren't interested in "working overtime" to fix their marriage either..... Hmmmmmmm
I would say that as a group we may be better then average. If people want to work OT its up to them, I don't like to judge. I just know too many people who died young or came home unexpected to find their neighbour enjoyed them being at work all the time as much as the lonely / bored <ex> wife.

< as a Canadian I have to say I am very thankful to those in the USA military as well as the Canadian. I believe those who served have a better appreciation for the place we live>

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
Trent McCain

I can see both sides to this as I own / operate a small trucking company. First and foremost, nobody works for me....they work with me. There is no such thing as overtime. There are many times we are detained and aren't paid, but that's just the way it is. We try and run 5 days a week usually 8-12 hr days. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. I don't mind running a load on Saturday mornings if I can make a little bonus for the week. I never volunteer my drivers or contractors. I figure we work more hours by Wed than the average person does by Fri, so I always ask before booking extra loads. Often running a Sat is an easy to make up a load we might have missed during the week (I guess that could be considered our OT). Some of my guys love the opportunity to make a little extra, others are happy working their 5 days, but it's their choice. Owning the business, I have more at stake, so I run extra when I can as I don't want to be in debt the rest of my life. I'll enjoy life in afew years when I'm debt free in my early 40's. Untill then, I'll work a little extra to accomplish my goal. From a consumer standpoint, I have two shops that service my equipment. A local independent and a "corporate engine manufacturer." I have good service from both. My independent goes the extra mile to get my trucks in and out fast. If that means staying 30min or later to complete the job so I can have the truck that night....they do it. The "corporate" shop runs 8-5. I put in the extra time for my customers and I appreciate it when a service facility does too. I'm probably comparing apples to oranges as my trucks are a business tool used to generate revenue, whereas our RV's aren't.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 AM   #28
Javi

Here in Texas an employer can require you to work over 40 hours per week at any time and refusal to do so is subject to termination.

I've fired employees for refusing to work overtime even though they are aware that the job often requires that they do so. I've also excused them from the same on a case by case basis, when someone else was willing to fill-in and I've even done the filling-in myself when necessary.

When I managed the fertilizer terminals it was not uncommon for me and selected employees to work around the clock when unloading barges as demurrage charges wait for no man. It was an accepted part of the job just as 18 to 20 hour days were expected during "season" as the applicator's also wait for no man and the trucks must be loaded...

The 50 hour work week I have now is semi-retirement for me and the extra time and pay is my play money.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #29
SAABDOCTOR

So after 3 pages of work ethics wives ex wives girlfriends over time quitiing working and a genuine good read whatever happened to the original question about flat rate? yep i worked all the ot icould get then went into my own shop worked hard so my (ex)wife could have all the fun while i was gone! sold the biz and now close to retirement only a little ot then home with the DW.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
So after 3 pages of work ethics wives ex wives girlfriends over time quitiing working and a genuine good read whatever happened to the original question about flat rate? yep i worked all the ot icould get then went into my own shop worked hard so my (ex)wife could have all the fun while i was gone! sold the biz and now close to retirement only a little ot then home with the DW.
Here's a link http://www.spader.com/images/data/fi...RV%20FR14s.pdf
Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

We are paid hourly were I work. I have worked OT to make sure a customer got a proper walk through.

In a previous life ( prison guard) OT and missed holidays and child's activities was the norm for 25+ yrs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
Randy_K

This has been a good read with respectful comments on both sides.

Enjoyed

On forced OT I have seen it. My DW has had it at her shop. In the end the hours to complete the work usually ends up more and the company pays more for it as well. Having pissed off works never improves the bottom line.

In a big union shop I worked in many years ago , a little "mistake" would cost the employer thousands of dollars in rework. Sometimes it was a true error and sometimes not, better to work as a team. It's like making the sever that is alone with your food mad at you,,, do you want to take the chance ?

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #33
SAABDOCTOR

well that is the most generic flat rate book i have ever seen! i'll bet keystone doesn't use that one for warranty work good read!! thanks
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #34
pakuma

SM

As a retired Chrysler Service Manager I found that my techs loved to work the extra hours available. We were paid by the flat rate book, the problem that came up, being in California, we had to pay overtime calculated from the flat rate. Of course figuring out the formula was a nightmare, so I stopped overtime and hired more techs, and trying to find qualified people was another issue.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote