Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
siberian

So whether your fifth wheel is loaded or empty, if it's stated as 80 psi, then that's what you fill?

Just don't somehow feels right that if max pressure cold is (whatever) at max load, why would you fill to the same when you're running empty? Or 800-1000 pounds lighter on empty?

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

As I said, I don't adjust the pressure - empty or loaded. The RV Maxxis tires are set to 80 psi --- all the time.

You will no doubt get differing opinions as to whether this is ok or not. Call it luck or whatever, but I've been towing one thing or another for years and years and never had an issue with blowouts nor have I adjusted the pressure depending on the load. In fact, I've never had a blowout on any RV tire but then again I've never driven the "highway" to Alaska.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
siberian

Oh it ain't the "highway to Alaska" or the Alcan as it's know here that will kill you (that's left to moose, caribou, buffalo, bears...) it's also the rest of the dirt and gravel roads.

My mailbox is near 3 miles from the house and we live on a mountain on 3 miles of unpaved gravel/mud/you name it roads about 120 miles from the arctic circle.

Haul Road up to Prudhoe Bay is gravel and unpaved (spare tires and jerry cans of gas required as only two fill places in summer and one in winter)...

Appreciate the heads up.

siberian

Old 05-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #24
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
So whether your fifth wheel is loaded or empty, if it's stated as 80 psi, then that's what you fill?

Just don't somehow feels right that if max pressure cold is (whatever) at max load, why would you fill to the same when you're running empty? Or 800-1000 pounds lighter on empty?

siberian
Tire manufacturers recommend storage at max psi. to prevent flat spotting.
Max. psi = less rolling resistance = better fuel mileage and less heat build up.
Unless you are weighing each wheel every time you go, you are only guessing the load and each side of axle must be the same so max. makes it easy.
This subject has come up many, many times with many opinions. YOUR choice in the end, but I'm with Festus2 and will continue to run max. pressure at all times. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
siberian

Excellent, that's what I was looking for. Of course there will be many views on this so was looking for a sanity check really.

Appreciate the time!

siberian

Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
Excellent, that's what I was looking for. Of course there will be many views on this so was looking for a sanity check really.

Appreciate the time!

siberian
Siberian -
Mmmmmm ...if you were looking for a sanity check, you probably shouldn't be paying too much attention to either Hank or me. I can't speak for my esteemed colleague but I've been told that my sanity checklist is far from being complete. I'm workin' on it.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Siberian -
Mmmmmm ...if you were looking for a sanity check, you probably shouldn't be paying too much attention to either Hank or me. I can't speak for my esteemed colleague but I've been told that my sanity checklist is far from being complete. I'm workin' on it.
I resemble that remark.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
siberian

Well I've got to find out where the landmines are before I start "opining" and all

Do appreciate the info. I'll be heading down to Kenai (about 600 miles south west of here) in 10 days for some dip netting and pole fishing for silvers; just wanted to make sure that with the monster catch we're expecting to bag (coupled with the Chitina run in July for Copper River reds and Valdez for halibut) I didn't want to take any chances...

As it needs to last us and the kids (the four legged ones ones of course) until next summer and they get grumpy if I don't hit the limit. ;-)

Stay warm

siberian