Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
scrnt

electrical issue need help

I have a 2012 322qbs was purchased last august. Normally with shore power and battery disconnect in the off position radio lights and everything works . Last week we got hit by lightning at the house. I was in camper today and noticed no lights or radio or anything working except microwave. Checked the 30 amp breaker I use on the shop for my camper and have power there. I made sure I have good connection to camper. When I plug cord into the 30 amp outlet I hear the micro and our sleep number bed click on so I know power is get to camper. When I switch battery to off position I loose lights and radio and such again. Could I have a bad converter and all this is drawing from battery or what is going on. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Check all the fuses (12v) in the power center, if blown the leds will light. Turn all your circuit breakers, especially the one marked CONV. off and then on again. Lightning can do crazy things so it is hard to just guess at what is wrong without tracing and eliminating each circuit. Good luck and let us know what you find, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
scrnt

electriacl issue

Hank thanks. I checked all fused flipped and flipped again all breakers. I take it the converter is bad. With the battery disc on on does the 12volt stuff work off the battery or throught the converter. If bad is this covered under the factory warranty if not how much does one run generaly? Thanks don
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Bob Landry

One of the breakers on your AC panel goes to the converter. When plugged into shore power, the converter supplies all of the 12V and you don't even need a battery. Disconnect the battery or turn it off at the switch. Reset the CB going to the converter and you should have lights and everything else that is 12V. If you do not, then the converter is toast. You can check the 115V going to the converter, but that is probably OK since you have other AC stuff working.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
scrnt

onverter must be toast I got nothing when battery dis is off. Funny thing is storm was 4 days ago and wife said she was in camper yesterday and everthing was fine. We purchased an extended warranty do you think this will be covered never had to deal with warranty issues before if so. I hope we can get this fixed soon we are supposed to leave out on the 22 of July for our trip to Grayton beach state park. We are so looking forward to that trip my wife for the beaches and myself my sanity with the break from work.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
scrnt

I have looked everywhere for the converter. Is it built in to the fuse panel on this model? I see the breakers and the fuse panel but not sure about the converter. Saw another thread that said something about fuses on the converter trying to find it to see. All fuses on fuse panel are good looked and battery connection under front there is a panel so to speak there but nothing looks burnt or discolored. When I think of converter I think probably has a fan on it and a fuse probably cord (power) of some type.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
michol02

You might try to remove the screws holding the breaker box to the wall and lift the box out and it might be behind there. I fried my converter on a previous RV, and my home owners insurance covered it because it happened on my property. It might be worth checking into if your warrantee doesn't cover it.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
scrnt

Thanks will call service center tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
scrnt

update I took my camper in yesterday and left it over night. The tech called me this am and asked what was wrong I explained what was going on, and he tells me that the battery dis has to be in the on position for the 12 volt sys to work. I explained to him I have had this camper since aug of 2012 and haven't had to do that yet. I told him that this was with shore power connected and he said it was probably something wrong with the battery disconnect. I told him to check the converter and he assured me he would check the entire electrical. While I was disconnecting the 5ver from truck I noticed water leaking out from underneath the belly of the 5ver. When it rains it pours so now I guess I have a tank leak or plumbing issue of some type.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
scrnt

Camper has been in service center for going on 3rd week. They still haven't even looked at it yet but tell me it will be ready before we leave this sat in am for out trip to Grayton Beach sp. I am loosing faith in them because I also had the leak under neath should be warranty issue they assure me but they haven't even done anything. Do you think Keystone will approve in 2 day notice?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Bob Landry

That "tech" is wrong about the 12V. If you are plugged into shore power, the converter supplies all 12V power with no need for a battery. An exception would be if a battery is needed to operate the slide-outs, but the only purpose it serves is as a buffer between slides and converter.
As an owner, you need to educate yourself in basic RV electricity so that you will know what works on 12VDC and what runs on 115VAC. This will also enable you to know when a "tech" is blowing smoke, no pun intended.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
budsgranny

Red face Basic electricity books

Hey Bob
I'm a single female RV owner. I don't know alot about electrical problems BUT I can and have replaced several converters. What kind of books should I get that will tell me all about basic electrical? I know I have a short in one of my light switch. And once again my converter went out after a lighten storm. Any suggestions for a 55amp converter?
budsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Sorry, I can't help you with any books. Do a Google search on RV wiring and you should find plenty of information online. You can PM me if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to give you a good answer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
GaryWT

I always thought that the battery was needed to complete the circuit. I have never disconnect the battery other than to put it in the house for the winter. Always plugged to shore power and the battery stayed charge. Too late now but had you left the lights and all on to see if the battery drained propably would have told you if all was good.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

CW bob is right you do not need the battery in place when on shore power. all 12 volt items will work off the converter except the slides.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #16
whitescrew77

Do converters seem to go out regularly? I thought they were supposed to be kind of robust.
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitescrew77 View Post
Do converters seem to go out regularly? I thought they were supposed to be kind of robust.
I don't think there are any stock RV systems that I would call "robust". Most are just the bare minimum. If you are replacing anything on your RV try to go one size larger (or better) if it fits and you should stay ahead of the game. Research other brands of components to find better reviews. Manufacturers use the lowest bidder and in many cases you do get what you pay for.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote