Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
bluehog

Angry Old Tires from Keystone

I have a 2011 Raptor 30FS purchased in June 2013 that's in like new condition, the previous owner only used it a few times before trading it in on a motor home. I just took a trip from central Florida to southern NJ for a bike rally in Wildwood, with a 4 day stop in Delaware for the Ocean City Bikefest. On my way home just south of Walterboro, SC on I-95 the left-front tire blew....Tow Max STR (ST235-/80R16). The blow-out was caused by tread separation. While being examined by the local tire dealer, he noted that the date of manufacture was August 2009! Apparently Keystone (or their tire distributor) had these things sitting around for a couple of years before installing them. The upshot is, tire warrantee's generally expire after four years (even though the tread depth is 9/32" and hardly worn). I have a two year old Raptor with four year old tires! Luckily, the only damage to the trailer was the side clearance light wire being pulled from the device and broken. As the second owner, I don't have the original purchase paperwork so I can't even make the "four years from purchase" argument; the only thing they'll go by is date of manufacture. Needless to say, I'm replacing all four with something other than Tow Max!
bluehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Do you know you can take those tire serial numbers and find out if they were, in fact, installed as Original Equipment?

The vehicle manufacturer MUST keep those records for 5 years. You can ask them to provide you with the OE serial numbers.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Bob Landry

Not knowing how tires may be used or maintained, If I purchased an RV from an individual, the tires would be the first to go.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehog View Post
I have a 2011 Raptor 30FS purchased in June 2013 that's in like new condition, the previous owner only used it a few times before trading it in on a motor home. I just took a trip from central Florida to southern NJ for a bike rally in Wildwood, with a 4 day stop in Delaware for the Ocean City Bikefest. On my way home just south of Walterboro, SC on I-95 the left-front tire blew....Tow Max STR (ST235-/80R16). The blow-out was caused by tread separation. While being examined by the local tire dealer, he noted that the date of manufacture was August 2009! Apparently Keystone (or their tire distributor) had these things sitting around for a couple of years before installing them. The upshot is, tire warrantee's generally expire after four years (even though the tread depth is 9/32" and hardly worn). I have a two year old Raptor with four year old tires! Luckily, the only damage to the trailer was the side clearance light wire being pulled from the device and broken. As the second owner, I don't have the original purchase paperwork so I can't even make the "four years from purchase" argument; the only thing they'll go by is date of manufacture. Needless to say, I'm replacing all four with something other than Tow Max!
Howdy and welcome to the forum,.
The warranty on my Towmax tire is 2 years from date of purchase as per the paper work.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

From the ID label on the front drivers side of your trailer what is the date of manufacture? If it was made in '10 than '09 tires would not be that far off for Keystone to have in stock. Be sure to get the new ones balanced. '14s are already out making your trailer another year older. Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of RVs.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
bluehog

Thanks for the info.....

I'm going to check the date of manufacture, but I already decided to ditch the Tow Maxes. They offered a 50% credit but only on another Tow Max. I'm looking at a set of Hercules tires manufactured in Canada (at least its in the right hemisphere); the tire dealer recommended them and said he's had far fewer problems with them than even Michelin or Goodyear. There's also a 3 year warranty on that brand.
Since I don't want the Tow Max anymore -- call me "gun-shy" -- considering the price of the Hercules and the Tow Max I'm only losing about $15 by rejecting the credit but buying the other brand.
BTW, the trailer was purchased from the dealer who sold it to the original owner. I didn't know about Keystone having to maintain the serial numbers for five years, so I'll check on that, too.
Thanks again.......
bluehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehog View Post

I didn't know about Keystone having to maintain the serial numbers for five years, so I'll check on that, too.
Thanks again.......
I usually don't say it unless I have the reference stashed away in my files. Here it is.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec574-10.xml

CW
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Jager

Blow Max . . . I mean Tow max tires . . . total junk. They are garbage and everyone knows it. Just read any forum, even this one. Check in the Tires, Tires, Tires heading below. Keystone is putting this junk on their products to save a couple of $$'s. That is it. Get rid of them ASAP.

Also, if price it's an issue and peace of mind is important to you . . . look into going to a higher weight rating, like H. The tire everyone seems to be moving to is the Goodyear G114.

Also, you should be aware that ST tires are only rated for 65mph. If you pull over that I would suggest trying to find something rated to at least 75mph. Towing faster than 65 with ST tires rated for 65mph will blow the tires, no matter who makes them.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
CWtheMan

Sorry, I was responding to the wrong poster.

CW
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
IdahoSRT10

Sorry Bluedog, Dosnt matter if the tires were made last week....They are Towmax and need to be replaced before your first trip. Go with Maxxis or a quality LT tire.
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Sorry Bluedog, Dosnt matter if the tires were made last week....They are Towmax and need to be replaced before your first trip. Go with Maxxis or a quality LT tire.
That may depend on the user. I use 16" LRE TowMax tires and I'm successfully using a third set.

CW