Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Truck Bed Cargo Dividers

I scoured the Internet looking for something that would keep gear from flying around in the bed of my truck. All I found that didn't look like it would break the bank were the ones that look like spring loaded shower curtain rods, some with cargo netting clipped to it. Not really what I was thinking of, so I set out to make my own. Materials, two 6' pieces of 2X12 and a can of white Exterior paint. I cut the boards to fit in the slots in the bed, radiuses the bottom corners to match the side of the bed. I used a 1/4" bead bit in my little laminate trimmer and dressed all of the edges and the hand hold cutouts. A couple of coats of white paint and I'm ready to go. One of the boards will get a couple of eye bolts so that I can use a ratchet strap to secure propane bottles. A couple of 1" strips of indoor/outdoor carpet glued to the ends will give it a snug fit with no rattles or paint damage. When I get the Bed Rug mat installed, I'll rip enough off the bottom edge to allow for water drainage. Total time for this one not counting painting is a couple of hours. I did a couple of goofs on these, and if I were doing them for someone, I would have redone them, but it's good enough for my use and when I get the retractable cover installed, no one is going to see them but me anyway.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
f6bits

I threw in a 2x6 dog-eared at the bottom corners. Quick and easy. I got the idea from this post:
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/best-mo...r-50-a-166689/

Yours looks better, though I don't think my bed has two slots near the tailgate. Just one on either side of the wheel well.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Bob Landry

I need to go back and check. I think mine has three slots and a 4th that is obstructed by the cargo tiedown loop.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
halfprice

I have been using 2x12s for the past 10 years on my Chevys. The boards on the old truck were beat up pretty bad by the sun. So when I had my new 2011 2500 bed sprayed by Linex I had them spray the boards also. The Linex coating should keep the boards protected for many years. I had the boards and the bed sprayed black.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Bob Landry

I'm going to put a Retrax cover on my truck, so I'm good with painting them. The Linex is a good idea.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
f6bits

I have one and only one set of slots in my bed. Just aft of the wheel wells. It's a great spot since it leaves me a fair amount of room at the tailgate for small loads. With a 2x6, they're still short enough where I can push stuff over them with enough clearance below my tonneau.

I'd still like to find a way to pad the ends so they fit better in the slots.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I have one and only one set of slots in my bed. Just aft of the wheel wells. It's a great spot since it leaves me a fair amount of room at the tailgate for small loads. With a 2x6, they're still short enough where I can push stuff over them with enough clearance below my tonneau.

I'd still like to find a way to pad the ends so they fit better in the slots.
I'm not concerned about clearance between the boards and the top because it's going to retract. I cut some 1" strips of some old indoor/outdoor carpet that I had and stapled them to the ends of the boards, so they aren't visible by just looking at the dividers. I gave them a lick with a hammer to make sure they wouldn't stick out and scratch the paint in the groove. If by chance your boards are cut a little short, you could use multiple thickness of carpet to take out the slop.
I ripped about an inch off the bottoms to allow for a clearance between the dividers and the mat for water drainage. The mat is made of closed cell foam so it's not supposed to hold water.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel