Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Outbackmel

Champion 4000 watt generator

?? Have one? Like it? CW has one for around $325. Only need it a few times a year for NASCAR and prepping for trips at home. Trying to figure noise and convenience for the use. Please don't tell me about Honda; Yamaha or Boliy. Not spending a grand plus for my limited use. I know they are superior and more quiet.
Tnx
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

I rarely use mine for the TT but I love it. It is quieter than others of the same type and the 30a RV plug is very convenient. It easily runs everything on my 30a TT. Tractor Supply runs these on sale for $299 on a semi regular basis.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
SteveC7010

The Champion generator you are looking at is noise level rated at 68 dBA at 23 feet. (no mention in the specs if this is full load or something lower.)

Just for comparison's sake, the Honda eu2000i is rated 59 dBA at rated load and 53 dBA at 1/4 load. (no mention in the specs of distance for the readings.) A Honda 3000 has nearly identical specs.

Here's a chart of some different sounds and their dBA ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_p...ressure_levels (Those numbers are all measured per scientific standards at 1 meter distance.)

The Yamaha 3000 is rated at 53 dBA 1/4 load and 60 dBA full load.

Here's a link to a Honda video that compares sound levels from 53 dBA up to around 60 dBA in their product lines. It's probably the closest thing you'll easily find to a fair comparison of the various sound levels. Not perfect, but reasonable, I think. It gives you a good understanding of how loud 59 dBA is compared to 53 dBA. http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...vel-comparison

I think it's fair to say that any generator producing 68 dBA at 23 feet isn't going to be very quiet for those nearby. It would be very interesting to know what sound level it produces at the scientific standard measurement distance of 1 meter.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
?? Have one? Like it? CW has one for around $325. Only need it a few times a year for NASCAR and prepping for trips at home. Trying to figure noise and convenience for the use. Please don't tell me about Honda; Yamaha or Boliy. Not spending a grand plus for my limited use. I know they are superior and more quiet.
Tnx

Saw one running at Glamis Dunes yesterday, pretty loud but no one cares if everywhere there are OHV's driving around. Would not want to use to much in a quieter dry camping environment, definitely would get on ones nerves.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Champion 4000

I previously checked all the specs and actual sounds via U tube. CW will fire one up for me, out of the box. I suspect that is my next action before considering any further. Clearly the Honda snd Yamaha are better and more neighbor friendly. We NEVER stay at rv parks without power. However, at NASCAR, power sites are sold out a year in advance. Also, we live in a 500 home community which allows for 3 night parking in an overflow area across from our home. However there is no power available. Also, we like to load and leave without putting a sign out that we are gone. What concerns me is LACK of use. I have a shed full of power stuff rarely used. I can rent this generator for a week for $151. 2xrental equals cost of a new unit. Thus my dilema, what to do?
Hope this explains my situation better than original post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We have the Champion 4000. Bought ours from Tractor Supply. They are about $50 cheaper than CW, so if you use that savings, you can buy the 4 year extended warranty and the generator for the same price as the generator at CW.

As for reliability, ours is 3 years old, this winter, during a power outage, I went out to the pole barn, uncovered the generator, put in about 3 gallons of gas, checked the oil, set the choke and it fired up on the first pull. Let it run for a couple of minutes, plugged a extension cord into it, ran it into the house, plugged in the refrigerator, the freezer, the TV and a couple of lights. We could hear the rumble in the house, but it wasn't any worse than the car idling in the garage with the laundry room door open.

At NASCAR, I'm thinking you'll find most everyone is running a generator, a stereo, a couple of cars back and forth, golf carts, etc. A little extra noise probably wouldn't even be noticed.

Like Steve said, Honda is quieter, but as you say, it's also bunches of green more. For our style of camping and to charge batteries, do a few things around the camper, the Champion is all the generator I need.

After all, I drive a Ford not a Rolls Royce, so why do I need a Honda generator to "keep up" they all produce electricity, that's the objective. Champion seems to be much quieter than comparable generators and it is much MUCH quieter than my industrial Honda 2000 watt that came with us from Louisiana. It served us well during hurricanes, but it's louder than my lawn mower and much louder than the Champion.

I'm satisfied with Champion and think it's well suited for occasional use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
2011 keystone

Like you I do not use a geny enough to spend a 1000$ plus on one so I bought a champion 4000 watt last year and have been very happy with it.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Outbackmel

Thanks for advice

Steve was on the mark but I was looking for reliability and more for casual use and Nascar at Atlanta and Talledega not far from where we live. The Tractor Supply is a super tip and I will definitely go to one. We have one 8 miles up the road in 2 directions. Still may go to CW and have one fired up if cannot do so at Tractor Supply or return it.
Tnx
Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
rnkburg

Lowe's sells the champion as well

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
raytronx

Champion is coming out soon with a 3200 watt inverter type quiet genny for around 8-900 bucks. Saw it a the Quartzsite show, looked pretty nice. I run a pair of the 2000 watts inverter type paralleled when I need big power or just one for battery charging. But if this one had been available at the time I may have just bought it.

When people mention Champion they always think its only the loud ones but they make quiet ones too, in the ball park sound wise with the others. mine also have an econo mode which sips fuel, can get near 10 hours out of a 1 gallon tank when just charging batteries and watching a bit of TV

Here are mine

Paid $499 each and $120 for the parallel cable.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Sams Club had the 2000 watt Champion inverter Generators on clearance in the Detroit area stores for 289 each last fall. I almost bought a couple, decided not to because the Chhampion we have was still nearly new, then when we got back to my sister in law's house, decided I should go back. By the time I got there, they were all gone. I checked several Sam's Club locations around, but they were all sold out. I'm still "kicking myself" for not jumping on them when they were available.

Many people aren't fond of Champion generators, but I've had better luck with starting and performance with Champion than I have with my Honda industrial generator. As I've said in the past, a Honda 3000 Inverter generator is roughly $2600. I paid $325 for my Champion with a 4 year service contract, that's about 8 Champion generators with 5 years of warranty each (40 years) of guaranteed generator use for the same price as a Honda 3000IU. The Champion has a dB rating of 68 at 23 feet and the Honda has a dB rating of 65 at 23 feet. For 3 dB of "quiet" I'm not sure the price is right. At least for me. But of course that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. To each his own priority.

OK, I'll get off my soap box <again>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
f6bits

Being a gadget freak, I'd stick with an inverter generator just for the pure sine wave output. My dream someday is to have something stronger than my Yamaha 2000 so I can power my air conditioner. That Champion 3200 would be nice.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
bigracenut

Same here..... bought my 4000W Champion at CW when they were only $299.... i only use it for my NASCAR trips 3 to 4 times a yr.... it is noisier than I wish, but no noisier than half the ones at the speedway.... I would like a quieter gen, but I can buy 5 or 6 of the Champions VS one of the $2000 Honda's....
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

Lets see buying a generator for use at a nascar race and your concerned about noise even after the race ears will be ringing so whats more noise? LOL only kidding. I have talked with many people that have the champion and all but one ( there is always one) loved them. My dw bought me a Honda powered lawn tractor. used it for 3 months fixed it more times than i cared to and sold it for 100 bucks went back to my old john deeres and wheel horse equipment. my advice buy the champion. ok i'llget off the
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
azlee56

got ours in November for NASCar and I really like it. You can hear it, but it isn't as loud as some out there. We run it in the early evening to recharge stuff and to watch a movie. For the money it is worth it! We also made a wall around it and it was even quieter, couldn't hear it over the TV and I didn't have that up that loud. (just in case you were thinking that, lol).
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
jsmith948

I think if the genny gets too loud I'll just pull my hearing aids out (works with the DW)

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

azlee has the right idea with putting a wall around it. if you put some foam insulation on the wall it will get even quiter. Air cooled engine are noisey compared to water cooled. the champion is an exposed engine the honda is enclosed and that helps quiet it down. that said i would still go with the champion. and with the money you saved you can go to more races!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote