Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
SStone

Starting over

Hi all. I'll be 42 next month and am new to full-time RV living. I have my children with me every other week and they are adjusting to this new way of living also. I am about to move from a borrowed 30' motorhome into a borrowed 36' Keystone Fuzion 2007 Toy Hauler. My son gets the toy hauler part for his room and my daughter will be on a fold-out in the living room. My only problem so far is I NEED TO REPLACE the carpet in the living room/kitchen area. There is no cleaning it. I have someone to help me install it but I do not know where to purchase the carpet replacement kit (if one even exists). Any advice will help. Please and thank you! Happy journeying to all. Merry Christmas.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your best option is to go to your local flooring store and pick out what you want. There is usually no carpet pad in an RV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
Gary R.

Hello and welcome!

As Chuckster says, any flooring store or the box stores should have something that will catch your eye.

Good luck and have fun!

And Merry Christmas to you too!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Bustinbeards

Look into Carpet squares probably be a much easier job with the squares
Old 12-20-2021, 04:47 AM   #5
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:50 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

A large area rug might be an option.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Carpet gets dirty pretty quickly in a camper. Some manufacturers no longer use carpet at all. I pulled the carpet out of my older 5th because while it wasn't all that bad, we camp with dogs. I used luxury vinyl planks and would not recommend the same. These need to stay in a temperature range or they will move apart even with sufficient gaps around the outside. If doing it again, I would hire a linoleum guy and use linoleum. One thing the carpet does is allows your slides to ride over the surface of carpet without damaging anything. If you use lino or tiles, the slide may scratch in places unless you put 1/8" plywood strips (I use four) in places most likely to scratch which I believe are where the rollers are on the underside of the slide.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
markc

My hope and prayers are for you for days ahead. Hope you having great trips with for kids.
markc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Wilco

When you remove the carpet, you may find it has vinyl flooring under it. If it does, then just get an area rug to place on the floor. (Warning it seems like they use 1000 staples to fasten down the carpet. Make sure you get them all so no one scrapes their foot on a staple sticking up.)

If it doesn't have flooring under the carpet, put down laminate flooring and place an area rug in the living room.

Allow your son to pick out a rug for the garage. It will make him feel it is more his space.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
When you remove the carpet, you may find it has vinyl flooring under it. If it does, then just get an area rug to place on the floor. (Warning it seems like they use 1000 staples to fasten down the carpet. Make sure you get them all so no one scrapes their foot on a staple sticking up.)

If it doesn't have flooring under the carpet, put down laminate flooring and place an area rug in the living room.

Allow your son to pick out a rug for the garage. It will make him feel it is more his space.

Wilco, My camper (2002 Cougar) had carpet and we camp with the mutts. Carpet was in great shape when we bought the camper but I was confident we needed to do something different. I pulled the carpet. There were staples although maybe not as many as you claimed but a substantial number. I pulled them and most popped with a flat blade screwdriver and some needed to be pulled with pliers after they broke.

There was lino under the carpet. I put Luxury Vinyl Tile (planks) and wish I had paid a bit more attention to the temp ranges it was rated for as it did some spreading even with gaps on the outsides covered by 1/4 round. The main issue is that the slide scraped the tile at the ends where the slide rode over the tile. I now use 1/8" furniture grade plywood under those areas and it pretty well fixed the scraping. I would use another sheet of linoleum if doing it again. My under lino was sliced in places and not pretty (yellow). It had to be covered to get rid of the ugly.

Once a few of the tiles showed end gaps, I filled those with hardening wood putty and they are now not noticeable.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
crowbar

Welcome to the forum. Used to have carpeting in our old fifth wheel and the wife HATED it. Big dirt collector and difficult to clean up spills. Just pull it out of there, and like George suggested, replace it with linoleum. It makes for easy clean up. We also put throw rugs down to cover the heat vents in the floor when they're not being used, to prevent dirt and sand, etc. from falling into the vents. Any sleeping area of course is a different story. It's nice to roll out of bed onto a carpet rather than a cold floor.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote