Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Check Those Drain Connections!!

The holiday season is upon us which brings increased activity around the house....and RV (if you're out and about in it).

Yesterday morning DW was cleaning up MORE dishes from Thanksgiving and our galley tank filled up into the sink.....but went down. I was doing other things when she came to tell me that the rugs were soaked (thankfully not any carpet) and the kitchen sink drain was leaking. Looked under the sink and water was streaming off the bottom of the P trap then dumped the tank.

Found that the way they installed the offset sink drains was not very "sharp". It make the 2 drain pipes intersect so tightly at the P trap that the tightening collars on 2 of them could not be completely tightened because the little "ears" on them for grip caught each other. So what did the "installers" do? Slip the collars over the ends and turn them about a 1/4 turn until they hit each other.

Had the trailer about a year and 9 months and not had a leak there. We've spent probably close to 10 months in it off and on so figure my normal dump schedule (didn't take into account lots of cooking for a holiday) kept it from filling up. Also thought I checked those right after I bought the trailer when I redid some of the plumbing/checked connections but guess I missed them.

Just a reminder if the trailer is older or brand new, be sure and check those drain connections to make sure you don't have your day interrupted like I did.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
German Shepherd Guy

Happy Thanksgiving Danny & Susan!

No good deed goes unpunished and it seems Thanksgiving for you guys would not have been complete without a little RV maintainance.

Thanks for the heads up, will check mine next outing.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
rhagfo

I leave the galley tank open all the time, every since our episode of Mermuts! Dogs turned on kitchen faucet getting on the counter. Small issue with rear kitchen and living room chair arrangement.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I leave the galley tank open all the time, every since our episode of Mermuts! Dogs turned on kitchen faucet getting on the counter. Small issue with rear kitchen and living room chair arrangement.
I would not advise leaving the gray tank drain open. We bought a second had hybrid years ago and ghe PO did that. It took me about an hour with a pressure washer to clean out the solids in that tank. The soap and fat lined the bottom of the tank.

As for water running I turn the water off (either city water spigot or FW pump) if we leave the trailer or while towing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
Tbos

We had to tighten our p trap under the sink after 2 years of use. We always turn our water off when we leave the campground and only have the grey valves open when doing laundry or dumping.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain