Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Randy1956

Off Size Stabilizers

I hope this is the right place to post this; bottom line first - looking for a source for 2" wide stabilizer with 24" travel distance - everything I've seen is 2 1/4" wide.

Back story: I purchased a 2019 Aspen Trail, 1900 RB new (Western with insulated floor/bottom). It came with scissor style stabilizers that are 2"(two inches) wide - bent one beyond unusable. All the scissor stabilizer I've looked at are 2 1/4 inches wide. I'm not prepared to start ripping the bottom and insulation off the trailer to upgrade to a 2 1/4" mounting bracket and don't really want to drill new holes in the frame.

Has anyone run into this issue, how did you solve it? (I'd really like to locate the right width stabilizer).
Randy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
jasin1

Can you either redrill the holes in the stabilizers to match up somewhat closely to the frame as opposed to drilling new holes in the frame.

Or make an adaptor out of a piece of thin scrap steel….drill the holes to match the frame and drill holes for the stabilizer bracket..sandwich it between the frame and stabilizer

But I would think you should be able to find the oem ones
Old 10-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most scissors jacks come with multiple mounting holes. Here's photos of a couple of different types. On the 5000 pound jacks, there's 4 mounting holes, on the 7500 pound jacks, there's 6 mounting holes on each upper pad.

Depending on your trailer "jack hole configuration" you should be able to find jacks that will directly mount to those holes. If you're looking at 24" jacks, make sure you're also looking at "max weight rating" as the mount pad hole configuration changes from weight rating to a different weight rating.

Here's a couple of photos of two "equalizer 24" scissors jacks". The top photo is 5000 pound jacks and the bottom photo is 7500 pound jacks. Both are 24" extension. As you can see, the mount pad hole configuration is not the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5000 pound scissors jacks.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	36546   Click image for larger version

Name:	7500 pound scissors jacks.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	36547  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
Randy1956

Thank-you for the response and apologies for my slow response (had an unexpected opportunity come up in the central mountains - no wireless or cell service).

I've returned a couple scissor stabilizers already, . Part of the problem is the manufacturer put one of mounting bolts for the bracket under the insulation on the inside of the frame and I don't want to remove the bottom of the trailer to access it.

I'm trying to find the 2" wide stabilizer so I can switch the mounting brackets.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
Randy1956

I may end up drilling holes but hoping not too. I want to replace the stabilizer rather than the mounting bracket.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
LHaven

I have to ask the obvious question -- there is no identifying information on the ones you have now, and you no longer have the literature that came with the rig?
Old 10-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
firestation12

dead end search??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1956 View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this; bottom line first - looking for a source for 2" wide stabilizer with 24" travel distance - everything I've seen is 2 1/4" wide.

Back story: I purchased a 2019 Aspen Trail, 1900 RB new (Western with insulated floor/bottom). It came with scissor style stabilizers that are 2"(two inches) wide - bent one beyond unusable. All the scissor stabilizer I've looked at are 2 1/4 inches wide. I'm not prepared to start ripping the bottom and insulation off the trailer to upgrade to a 2 1/4" mounting bracket and don't really want to drill new holes in the frame.

Has anyone run into this issue, how did you solve it? (I'd really like to locate the right width stabilizer).

Unless you can find the exact brand that is damaged (and I doubt you will), it will be far simpler to either cut a small area of the coroplast to expose the last bolt, or remove one of the nails that fastens the coroplast, then the new scissor jack can be installed and the coroplast tacked back on. Even if you were to find the exact item, the base plates you intend to keep, are likely bent and won't let the scissor arms attach to them. One manufacturer has designed a scissor jack that is easily removed t eliminate the chance of being damaged.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Randy1956

Questions are always good and it's easy to overlook the obvious. The stabilizer is identified as a model J-2500; a Google search yields 2.67 million results...As the original owner, I have all the documentation - nothing special for the stabilizers.

I believe I have found the correct stabilizer; it's a 2.5 ton rather than a 5 ton. I should know in a week or so after I receive it and will post here whether it fit.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
Randy1956

Thank-you for the suggestion. It doesn't appear the mounting bracket is bent or deformed; I had no problem removing the bent stabilizer from the bracket. I'll have to consider the alternative(s) if I can't find the correct bracket.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
LHaven

Found this thread...
Old 10-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #11
Randy1956

As a bit of clarification, this better explains my thought process: disassemble the stabilizer and leave mount in place and reassemble the new stabilizer on that mount. And this is why I am looking for a 2" wide stabilizer - I should receive it tomorrow.