Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Larrydfuller

Fiberglass Solid Surface Counter Top ?????

My wife and I are looking to purchase a Cougar 327 RES. We really like the floor plan and espescially the rear entertainment area. But we do have a couple of question. First, in the bedroom, next to the wardrobe, the upper cabinet door has an opening (no front panel) and a sliding shelf inside. How is this designed to work with a flat screen TV. Seams like an odd setup lol. Secondly, the so called "Solid Surface" counter tops in the kitchen. It's solid and it has a surface, but it's not a true solid surface as we have come to know it. It looks like you could scratch it just by looking at it And the fact that it is black, make the scratch problem even worse. This is probably my biggest concern with the Cougars. Real Corian is used in the High Country and it's a light weight trailer, so why go with the black fiberglass in the Cougar. I'd appreciate anyone's input on these subjects.

Thanks,
Larrydfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
webslave

I have the 318SAB with the same shelf in the bedroom. I wanted a pemanent, easy to use system for the flat panel television in there... I bought a cherry wood lazy susan and mounted it to that slide out shelf and then mounted the flat panel television to the lazy susan. Drilled a hole through the lazy susan in the "travel position" (facing straight out so that the shelf will close) and then another drill through with the television rotated towards the head of the bed so that it is viewable. Pull the shelf out, pull the pin, rotate the lazy susan, insert the pin, watch television. Reverse to stow for travel. Works well.

I've yet to have any issues with the "solid surface" counter top. It is much sturdier and more robust than it looks. No scratches or dings in it yet. We don't use it as a cutting board nor do we set hot items on it and we've been living in the trailer on the road now for about 2 months.

Aside from the Dometic refrigerator giving up the ghost on the 3rd day out (Dometic warranty covered the replacement), we've been quite pleased with the way our 318SAB has been holding up.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Larrydfuller

Thanks for the information. The lazy susan sounds like a good idea, I would just like to know what the Keystone designers had in mind when they made the decision to leave the cabinet open. I just dont get it. Why not have the cabinet door open from the other side, then pull the shelf out. The hole is still a mystery lol. The counters look great...hope I don't screw em' up!

Thanks !!!
Larrydfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
gbsb

We have a Fuzion 383 made by Keystone. It also has the black counter tops. They are Corion acording to Keystone, We were at the factory for a tour and keystone said they quit getting the little icon on the counter tops that said Corion because it cost more and served no purpose. The counter tops are tough but will scratch there is a kit out to polish them back out. We have been fulltiming in ours for almost 2 years and it has held up great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0616121828.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1677  
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
blackty

We have a 19 or 20 inch flat screen in the bedroom. Pull it out and turn the tv to the desired angle. In the morning, turn the tv flat and push the shelf back in. The counter top is holding up very well. I had your same concerns. As was posted earlier, we never set anything hot directly on the counter. Enjoy...Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
msp2jxr

We have the 326 MKS model with the same counter tops and yes they scratch easily. I pulled a plastic milk jug about 1/3 full from the back of the counter to the front and left about 10 inch nasty scratch on the counter. If someone knows how to remove the scratch I am all ears. It would not stop me from buying the trailer as it is the best floor plan and price for my tastes.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote