Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Graham

unwanted visitors

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced unwanted visitors during the winter? I stored my MP300 at a friends acreage over the winter, I went out later to retreive something from the cargo hold a discovered that squirrels had made there way in and filled everything up with pine cones even got into the walls behind the electrical panel and stereo, pulled out the insulation from the wall and filled it up with pine cones as well. Chewed the wiring for the remote start for the generator, also mice got into the living area and left caches of grain every where, even in the garage tool boxes. I think the squirrels came in through the space above the propane tank enclosure but not sure about the mice, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 232.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1630  
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Just put some glass over that opening .... it looks kind of nice. Although I'm sure you don't think so. I had the furry little devils get into my detached garage one year .... they shredded all the boxes I had stored in the rafters and all the contents rained down for weeks. It's been two years and I still have not reorganized everything. I guess they won. Good luck in your cleanup and repair process. Let us know what solutions you come to. Perhaps you can help someone else from falling prey to the "Fuzzy Little Tree Rats". Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to try stuffing coarse steel wool/or some rustproof "steel wool" (bronze) into as many holes as you can find followed by spraying some canned foam in and around the space. It's a time-consuming process as there simply a myriad of openings both on the outside and inside of the RV. Openings are scattered throughout the extent of the underbelly where wiring, pipes, and lines (plumbing & propane) come from below up into the interior.

Check all of your outside storage compartments where you can often find various plumbing lines and pipes going in through the RV floor.
Remove all foodstuffs from your RV that are not in cans or other sealed plastic containers.
Try to pay a regular visit to your RV rather than just dropping it off in the Fall and coming back in the Spring.

You might want to invest in a live animal trap as well and; for the mice, scatter some traps or bait or ???? around the RV.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Str8shooter

I did exactly what Festus2 described on our 300MP just after bringing it home. I just started opening every space I could to find holes. In the cargo area and under the kitchen and bath sinks.

Good luck

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
michael

Never deliberately put food for mice in your rv it attracts the mice, Best thing is to close off the entry ways the best you can and put traps away from the rv.

IT works because when the DW locks the door i cant get in and when i say im hungry she says theres no food here, And that there is a fast food resterant down the road so if it works on me it should work on mice

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Never deliberately put food for mice in your rv it attracts the mice, Best thing is to close off the entry ways the best you can and put traps away from the rv.

IT works because when the DW locks the door i cant get in and when i say im hungry she says theres no food here, And that there is a fast food resterant down the road so if it works on me it should work on mice
Off to Micky D's for a McPinecone. I have those sonic rodent repellents in the trailer and the garage . I have never seen any evidence of anything in the trailer but the garage is hopeless. Squirrels built their nest on top of one. As festus2 and others have said first step is to seal everything up and leave no hint of food. I guess from there next step is repair damage.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote