Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
brianshellhart

Galley holding tank

I have a 2009 keystone cougar and camping world broke the flange on my black tank and cracked my kitchen galley tank they are paying someone else to fix it but they can't get a kitchen galley holding tank. The place is shutting down June 18th and I really need it fixed cause I'm not from where I'm at. Does anyone know what the tank stock number is or where else I might be able to find one. Apparently the manufacturer has to build one. It has a inch and a half discharge to the left hand side of the tank all I can find are black tanks with 3 inch discharges. Help please
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
I have a 2009 keystone cougar and camping world broke the flange on my black tank and cracked my kitchen galley tank they are paying someone else to fix it but they can't get a kitchen galley holding tank. The place is shutting down June 18th and I really need it fixed cause I'm not from where I'm at. Does anyone know what the tank stock number is or where else I might be able to find one. Apparently the manufacturer has to build one. It has a inch and a half discharge to the left hand side of the tank all I can find are black tanks with 3 inch discharges. Help please
If the black tank is the same PHYSICAL dimensions, length, width, height, and the only difference is the 3" discharge (located in the same general vicinity on the tank), then they can install that tank, use a 3" to 1.5" reducer fitting and go from there. If the replacement black tank is a different physical size, then it may not fit in the existing space under the floor. But, if it fits the space, reducing the 3" outlet to a 1.5" outlet should not be an issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
brianshellhart

Problem is I don't know the dimensions camping world hacked my underbelly but the other place kind of bandaged it up. I'm not in the physical condition to be able to crawl under my rig and take measurements.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the black tank is the same PHYSICAL dimensions, length, width, height, and the only difference is the 3" discharge (located in the same general vicinity on the tank), then they can install that tank, use a 3" to 1.5" reducer fitting and go from there. If the replacement black tank is a different physical size, then it may not fit in the existing space under the floor. But, if it fits the space, reducing the 3" outlet to a 1.5" outlet should not be an issue.
Technically I can't see a reason to reduce the 3" to 1-1/2" in the first place.. Holding tanks used to have 3" outlets period... they started the 1-1/2" thingy on their on.. Aftercall, it's just a wye or tee into the terminal 3" line... except for maybe space it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Technically I can't see a reason to reduce the 3" to 1-1/2" in the first place.. Holding tanks used to have 3" outlets period... they started the 1-1/2" thingy on their on.. Aftercall, it's just a wye or tee into the terminal 3" line... except for maybe space it shouldn't be a problem.
The only reason I can think of is that it would be "convenient for the installer" is to tie that tank into the existing dump valve and existing plumbing runs.

You're right, in "days gone by" all holding tanks were plumbed with 3" outlets and 3" runs.... My guess: It's cheaper to use 1.5" pipe than 3" pipe and at $2 per trailer, the manufacturer can save enough over several years to pay the CEO's bonus......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
brianshellhart

I agree it should be a 3 in dump but coming out past the valve going into the takeaway that dumps into 3 in I have a 3 in Gray tank for my bathroom I have a 3-in black tank it all comes down to a spout and then off of that spout is one and a half I can't just go 3 inch the whole way because the manufactured part that is the takeaway tube is inch and a half not 3 in. The other problem I see reducing is the configuration of how everything is existing I don't know if there's enough room because it kind of j hooks reverse to the valve kind of like a 3-in above the top of the tank it's kind of hard to explain but I need it to be three to one and a half not a bad idea I'll see if they can do that or just the one and a half
Old 06-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
brianshellhart

After reinspecting there is a reducer on the galley tank side they might be able to just three it all the way might have to get a new y and I don't know how easy that is but I'm sure they can figure it out
Old 06-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
After reinspecting there is a reducer on the galley tank side they might be able to just three it all the way might have to get a new y and I don't know how easy that is but I'm sure they can figure it out
Let's hope it works... I "hate plumbing"... Every time I do something, I have to do it twice because "somewhere there's a leak"... To me, plumbing is like doing jigsaw puzzles... You either make the pieces fit or leave the table and let the "bluehairs" finish it for you

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Let's hope it works... I "hate plumbing"... Every time I do something, I have to do it twice because "somewhere there's a leak"... To me, plumbing is like doing jigsaw puzzles... You either make the pieces fit or leave the table and let the "bluehairs" finish it for you
they used to call plumbers electricians with their brains blown out".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
they used to call plumbers electricians with their brains blown out".
But a "good" plumber or a "good" electrician makes more "per house call" than doctors who still make house calls

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank