Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 04:24 AM   #1
mmessuri

Angry Furrion Rear Camera connector melted

Oh my gosh...its one thing after another after finally getting my 2021 26RBS back from the dealership (they had to replace the converter and fix the shower skylight) I connected the rear camera and noticed that I was neither getting a picture from it nor did I have clearance lights.

So after using the volt meter to check the connections of my truck I plugged the 7-pin connector back in, walked behind the Travel Trailer, looked up, and then noticed a nice amount of smoke coming from behind the shark fin plate for the camera.

After noticing the genie leaving the wiring system I ran around to the 7-pin connector and unplugged it from my truck. After that I grabbed a ladder, climbed on up, started to pull the power connecter out so I could disconnect the camera (oh boy was that wire hot!).

While trying to disconnect the camera I noticed that for several inches the camera connector coming out of the TT was melted, exposing all the copper.

Now since it was almost 11pm, and very dark, I used a pair of wire snips to remove what little copper was left connected to the plug coming from the TT, removed the shark fin, and inspected (as best as I could) the immediate area (which by the way they did a terrible job cutting the hole and placing the shark fin).

From what I can tell, other than the wiring nothing there is no other melting damage. Finally, since I was very angry and it was getting very late, I applied some outside usage rated sealing tape (gotta prevent any water damage ) and called it a night.

So the real sad thing about all this, other than the fact I bought a 2021 TT to avoid headaches, is that we are moving to another state next week and I have to tow the TT down there (so I cant send it back to the shop) -- I am not sure what I am going to do about the clearance lights other than not drive at night.

To finish with my soap boxing, its sad that the dealer has had my 2021 26RBS in the shop longer than I have had it in my driveway.

Ok, im done. Thanks for listening. I guess the only thing I can do at this point is to "leave it the heck alone, wait until I get to the new house, and turn it back into a dealership so a professional can deal with the issue".

-- Michael --

Oh yeah, I failed to mention that after I got it back home from the dealer I started having an error with the leveling system where it complains about the left front jack and tells me that I need to retract the jack manually"
mmessuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:38 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

As for your clearance lights have you checked the fuses in the truck? You give no info on the truck but many trucks have a separate fuse panel for the trailer. I would call the dealer and explain your situation and see if they can accommodate your schedule before assuming otherwise. Your leveling issue sounds like the ground control needs to be reset. Did the dealer give you the paperwork that includes the instructions?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
mmessuri

Sorry for leaving out the information. My truck is a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 and this morning I went out and check the fuses to the truck and could not locate any faulty fuse.

Also, I am not sure if I have the paperwork containing the instructions as I am in the process of packing everything up so I do not see any of my RV paperwork. However, I did find the instructions on Youtube and will follow them when I get down to my new house.

I will double check the fuses later today when I have more time (working right now) as a blown fuse was what I was hoping the problem was/is
Old 05-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #4
JDDilly

Search the internet or LCI's site for instructions. The ones I got basically pointed you online. That is the way most are going because they can be kept up to date providing better info to the customer.

If this happened after connecting the camera, it could be an issue with the camera itself. If the wire connecting the camera is the one that overheated, is the camera drawing too much power? If they worked with no issues before connecting the camera, that is what changed.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #5
mmessuri

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
Search the internet or LCI's site for instructions.
Thanks. I have done that an I also downloaded their app on my phone so when I get to the new house I will be doing this.

Quote:
If this happened after connecting the camera, it could be an issue with the camera itself. If the wire connecting the camera is the one that overheated, is the camera drawing too much power? If they worked with no issues before connecting the camera, that is what changed.
This is probably the case as to the best of my knowledge everything was working before adding the camera. The camera itself is designed to work within the range of 10V-35V, 600ma-30A and as for the voltage/amp range for the wiring to the clearance lights/camera plugging I am not sure what the rating is as I am unable to located it at this time.

I will google around and see if I can find a way to check the amount of power being drawn by the camera (it connects via a pigtail so I don't know how to check that).

On a final note, all other lighting (breaks, turn, reverse) are working. Just the clearance lights/license plate lights, and the red rear right/left side red lights are not working
Old 05-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I suspect the wires to the camera were cut during install and shorted out. Typically if a circuit in a camera fails it won't burn the wires as you described. There is a failure of the circuit feeding the clearance lights, most likely from a blown fuse or failed relay in the truck's power center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 way plug.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	33750  
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Get a 12 volt test light and check the power at the plug, using the diagram flybouy posted above. The amperage on a backup camera is very light. Your issue was caused by a direct short.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
mmessuri

Smile Thank you

Flyboy and CedarCreekWoody, while I have not resolved the issue (due to lack of time right now) I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the support you have provided -- I am in the last week of preping for my move so I did not want to forget your shout out.

Once I get some time and find/fix the issue I will update the forum with the root cause/resolution.

Thanks again and have a great week.

-- Michael --
Old 05-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #9
JDDilly

Good luck. Some of those electrical problems can be a bugger to track down.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 05-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #10
mmessuri

Quote:
Good luck. Some of those electrical problems can be a bugger to track down.
Ah crud, sorry about that JDDilly...I left you out of the big thanks. Im trying to multitask (VTC for work, packing, and monitoring the forum).

Thanks for your support and sorry again about leaving you out the first time. Have a beer on me.

-- Michael --
Old 05-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
JDDilly

Thanks, I wasn't looking for a thanks, just trying to help.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN