Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #41
CedarCreekWoody

Did you verify your current converter actually has 120 volts going into it? It is usually fed by a breaker on your panel. Sometimes it is plugged into a convential outlet.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
Well, I ordered a new group 27 AGM battery rated at 100ah, and took it out to the trailer (I made sure it was fully charged this time). After connecting it and plugging into the shore power at my storage location, I noted the lights worked well and the fridge worked, etc. I checked the battery charge lights on the control panel and found them to be showing four lights (full charge). But after a few minutes of having interior lights on, I checked the control panel again and it showed just three lights, as though the battery was no longer fully charged. According to the multimeter, I'm getting 125v from the outlets inside, but the battery showed it had gone down to 12.55v in just a few minutes.

Looking through the trailer manuals, I discovered one I hadn't really read - It was the one on the WFCO Power Distribution Center. The converter is attached to the back of the distribution center. I first checked the reverse polarity fuses to see if either one had been blown - they were both good. The manual showed me how to test the converter, and sure enough, there were zero volts being converted to DC, so the battery is not being charged and would eventually go dead. Bad Converter.

I ordered another converter and will see if all is well after installing that.

Lessons learned - not only did I learn more about batteries (did you know you're not supposed to store batteries on a concrete floor?) and my trailer's electrical system, but I will be checking the battery charge preflight before going on any trips to avoid ruining another converter. I will also look into an EMS system as some of you have suggested. Thanks all for the help. It just took a while for all the information to be digested so I could understand it.
Check the factory battery disconnect, be sure it's in the "on" or "use" position otherwise if in the "off" or "store" position it bypasses the converter charging.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #43
thewhitehat

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check the factory battery disconnect, be sure it's in the "on" or "use" position otherwise if in the "off" or "store" position it bypasses the converter charging.
Good advice, but actually my rig has no battery disconnect. Just two wires in a rear compartment with lugs to attach to the battery. To disconnect the battery, I just have to pull off the ground wire.
thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #44
thatoneguy

I killed 2 converters before i just opted for a bigger converter. I got the biggest my tech said I should get for safety reasons, which was a 70a.
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, electrical problem