Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
SS99

DVD plays in black in white

On my new 2016 passport 2670bh, the Jensen DVD/stereo plays DVDs in only black and white. The TV is some model of contex . I know the issue is with the way the DVD player is hooked up using composite cables and the tv wanting component. I just don't know how to fix it. The yellow video cable should be able to use the green connector, and the TV should be able to be changed from digital to analog. Why a 2016 trailer doesn't use HDMI is baffling. Also, I surly hope that they don't think black and wrote is acceptable.

2013 Ford F150 FX2 SuperCrew
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
SS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your DVD player has three wires with RCA ends, one yellow (video) one white (left audio) and red (right audio). Those RCA plugs need to be plugged into the TV in the A/V in not the component in. Then you need to choose A/V on the TV not component.

This is one of those things that should have been checked at PDI and explained during walk through. I have found the RCA cables hooked up wrong from the factory about 40% of the time, and it's not just a Keystone issue. Very rare to find HDMI in low and mid range RV's.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #3
Hankintu

Our 2016 Passport's Contex has a HDMI port, we use it for our Roku and Amazon Fire. It sounds like the yellow RCA has a bad connection, try cleaning it and re-plugging.
Hankintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Fit4Infinity

DVD plays in black in white

Composite rca cables have 5 connectors. 3 for video and 2 for audio. The cables and connector are a/v compatible. As you've discovered the video signal is not.

I too have discovered my stereo was not wired correctly at the factory. When I did my PDI. I even played and an audio cd but need not discover the stereo was not connected correct until I re-read the manual while looking for a fix for something else. The stereo has red, white and yellow as output from the DVD player. But also needs a second set of red whites to serve as output from the tv back to the stereo when the input for the tv is hdmi from the tailgater/dish receiver

Happy happy on the maiden voyage of my 327RES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fit4Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
SS99

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was found that it wasn't that the cables were installed incorrectly from the factory, and actually was just my dumbass self not selecting the correct input on the TV. I was selecting the labeled component input when I should of been selecting AV. DOH!

This contex tv doesn't have a separate set of composite and component inputs. It actually uses uses the green component video input as a dual purpose input for component and the yellow composite RCA cable. This is the first tv I have run across that does this, but it doesn't seem like its uncommon.

2013 Ford F150 FX2 SuperCrew
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
SS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Chillaxin' III

Thumbs up Wrong input mode

I will confirm what I've read elsewhere on the net. I just went out to my 2015 Bullet 310BHS and switched the TV from "Component" to "A/V" input mode, and TOP GUN played beautifully--in COLOR! And it sounded awesome on the new 6.5" Boston Acoustics 2-way speakers I just installed.

So the black and white problem is simply a matter of selecting the proper input mode on the TV.

Now I have to un-mount one of the 2 Sansui TVs to read the model # so I can try to find a remote control online...

2015 Keystone Bullet 310BHS
EZ Lift W/D Hitch + Sway Control
2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LTZ 4x4 Z71 Package
Chillaxin' III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS99 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. It was found that it wasn't that the cables were installed incorrectly from the factory, and actually was just my dumbass self not selecting the correct input on the TV. I was selecting the labeled component input when I should of been selecting AV. DOH!

This contex tv doesn't have a separate set of composite and component inputs. It actually uses uses the green component video input as a dual purpose input for component and the yellow composite RCA cable. This is the first tv I have run across that does this, but it doesn't seem like its uncommon.
Don’t feel bad I did the same thing. In fact I changed the label from Component.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #8
Jg509

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS99 View Post

You just saved us a lot of trouble shooting. I told my 3 year old that movies are black and white at camping. �� but switching the source to AV fixed it.
Jg509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:35 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Technology has advanced more than we all would like to realize since 2016. A television from the year 2016 is now almost obsolete. Technology is changing so much now. We still have the original Furrion televisions in our Montana (year of camper, 2019, but purchased in 2018). So the televisions are from the year 2018. They are so obsolete now, we purchased 2 separate Roku (smaller) televisions to support streaming wifi internet and separate sound bars for them. (this way, we can take them outside too very easy.) There's no RCA jacks in these new televisions. It's either HMDI, USB, or Fiber optic cable. The sound bars are hooked up with the fiber optic cable. Times are changin'!

I'm glad you figured it out!