Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
this post had nothing to do with me upgrading my truck, this post was because everyone insisting on those damn door tags like they were spoken by Jesus and nothing can be done to tow safely if your numbers dont match

Well, the thread, and posts, have been....enlightening??

From reading all your posts I'm convinced you don't know GVWR (posted on the sticker you posted) from "tow ratings" which are just published selling hype. Nor do you understand, apparently, the weight limitations that those "other" sticker numbers allude to. Your gawrs are not "derated". Your gcvwr is not "derated" but then you know that right? Changing tires changes the truck's load rating?? Your comments leave me totally confused and certainly don't make me feel like you are an authority on the subject.

I live in the oil patch; I live in the Permian Basin - the hottest bed of oilfield activity in the country. I SEE hotshots and oilfield vehicles of every kind every single day as I drive my 100k miles yearly. I KNOW their expertise, skills and efforts to abide by "weight limits" (or lack thereof).....and all the ways in which they try to skirt all the weight limits, take back roads to avoid DOT checkpoints etc.

None of the above addresses your abiding concern/belief that "those darn stickers" have any bearing on your "tow rating" - they've all been manipulated for tax/license reasons. As has been explained so many times, and I will one more time, they have everything to do with that "tow rating" Your weights, not your tow rating (please note that your "tow rating" is not posted on any federally mandated stickers...your weights are) will determine what that MAX tow rating is. Given the right combo on your tow vehicle you might (but won't) be able to strap that magical max tow number behind you AND meet those federally mandated numbers. You espouse what so many do....the max tow rating is the rating for the vehicle....not so. Can, CAN that 150/250/350 strap on a load for a larger truck? Sure. Is it wise, safe or legal? Of course not. Will it prematurely fail? Of course. Do folks do it and say otherwise then try to give some kind of irrational reasoning? Everyday.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #42
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, the thread, and posts, have been....enlightening??

From reading all your posts I'm convinced you don't know GVWR (posted on the sticker you posted) from "tow ratings" which are just published selling hype. Nor do you understand, apparently, the weight limitations that those "other" sticker numbers allude to. Your gawrs are not "derated". Your gcvwr is not "derated" but then you know that right? Changing tires changes the truck's load rating?? Your comments leave me totally confused and certainly don't make me feel like you are an authority on the subject.

I live in the oil patch; I live in the Permian Basin - the hottest bed of oilfield activity in the country. I SEE hotshots and oilfield vehicles of every kind every single day as I drive my 100k miles yearly. I KNOW their expertise, skills and efforts to abide by "weight limits" (or lack thereof).....and all the ways in which they try to skirt all the weight limits, take back roads to avoid DOT checkpoints etc.

None of the above addresses your abiding concern/belief that "those darn stickers" have any bearing on your "tow rating" - they've all been manipulated for tax/license reasons. As has been explained so many times, and I will one more time, they have everything to do with that "tow rating" Your weights, not your tow rating (please note that your "tow rating" is not posted on any federally mandated stickers...your weights are) will determine what that MAX tow rating is. Given the right combo on your tow vehicle you might (but won't) be able to strap that magical max tow number behind you AND meet those federally mandated numbers. You espouse what so many do....the max tow rating is the rating for the vehicle....not so. Can, CAN that 150/250/350 strap on a load for a larger truck? Sure. Is it wise, safe or legal? Of course not. Will it prematurely fail? Of course. Do folks do it and say otherwise then try to give some kind of irrational reasoning? Everyday.
And you clearly didn't read what I was saying. You're here in the Permian me too, i work for big red, and im telling you i can show you a hundred examples of derated trucks, FURTHERMORE I have said time AND time again those STICKERS people post are NOT THE TOW RATING and my examples i posted were because I KNOW on normal F350's they are over gvwr at 10k, I can also show you where ADDITIONAL stickers were added that derates the truck based on modifications.

So again since you're clearly not understanding, I flat out said to STOP trying to use those stickers to determine what your actual tow rating is and to be mindful that some of us commercial guys don't need judgment from people basing tow capability on a tire load sticker alone....

Holy crap its like people have no reading comprehension.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #43
thatoneguy

Also I'm glad you just "live here" but made zero mention of how it makes you an expert over me, who also, for intents an purposes also lives here, and my hometown isn't very far from here.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Also I'm glad you just "live here" but made zero mention of how it makes you an expert over me, who also, for intents an purposes also lives here, and my hometown isn't very far from here.
Let's dial this back a bit. You are constantly referencing Tow Rating and most everyone else when referencing the "tire sticker" are referencing the Maximum PAYLOAD Rating . They are two different things and the
Load Rating, like max axle weights, max gvw, max cgvwr should not be exceeded. You can't be over one and point to another and say it's okay because I'm under 3 out of 4 max weights. Exceeding one places your truck "over weight".

Few topics get folks riled up more than the "towing weights" discussions. There is much misinformation, misunderstandings, and falsehoods spread thru the industry as well as the public. While I understand your frustration and passion in your beliefs and opinions we must maintain a level of decorum where we treat each other with respect.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
And you clearly didn't read what I was saying. You're here in the Permian me too, i work for big red, and im telling you i can show you a hundred examples of derated trucks, FURTHERMORE I have said time AND time again those STICKERS people post are NOT THE TOW RATING and my examples i posted were because I KNOW on normal F350's they are over gvwr at 10k, I can also show you where ADDITIONAL stickers were added that derates the truck based on modifications.

So again since you're clearly not understanding, I flat out said to STOP trying to use those stickers to determine what your actual tow rating is and to be mindful that some of us commercial guys don't need judgment from people basing tow capability on a tire load sticker alone....

Holy crap its like people have no reading compression.

Yep, I have to admit that I, and most other folks, don't have reading "compression" although I'm thinking my new quadfocals may be compressing my sight a bit.

As far as Permian Basin - Amarillo isn't. As far as big red being one of the largest oil companies, I've never heard of them or seen one of their trucks. I do however see hundreds of trucks from Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Huges, ExxonMobil, Conoco etc. Nothing makes me an expert on oil field trucks just as working on or derating oilfield trucks has nothing to do with towing an RV. I did have friends and relatives that worked in various fields within the oilfield; trucking, well servicing, drilling etc. So the workings, and tales of on the job experiences are not new to me.

As I tried to allude to earlier, what an oil company does to a truck "to get by" and how an employee perceives whatever is being done is well and good within that confine as long as the company execs sign off on it. However, that does not translate across the board into regular "mom and pop" ownership of an RV driving a stock, from the dealer, pickup purchased to tow that RV safely - not hotshot a load of sucker rod across the panhandle.

I do read, comprehend and understand. I just know when rhetoric said to be fact/gospel is in fact not relative to the situation at hand - towing an RV safely. I don't know of anyone here aspiring to drive a hotshot truck, transport, frack/sand truck or pulling unit. I'm done.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #46
Ken / Claudia

In tried to follow this, but it's not worth my time to reread and reared what is said about a pickup vs a comm vehicle vehicle to point to some problems.
I do know that many if not most 350s, 450s, 550s come as a cab/chassis when purchased for and used as a comm vehicle. they come in many different packages like swr, dwr and frame length and more differences. An aftermarket company makes them into a flatbed, utility bed or van box. Some become ambulances, motorhomes or special cop vehicles.
The company that builds the truck into want the purchaser wants places a new sticker into the vehicle that replaces the factory one. That's what cops use not the 1st sticker to determine payload and tow ratings. Depending on what was done it could be higher or lower. That company has than taken on the legal safety aspects of that vehicles safe weight.
I have checked many of those and never double checked what the factory placed on the vehicle.
I suspect the federal standards sticker (VIN) tag show in post #1 could be a cab/chassis and without reading the full VIN I cannot check.
I and others point out when talking comm vehicles and non comm vehicles is APPLES to ORANGES and should never enter into the same discussion. But they do all the time.
Pointing out that someone got away with being overloaded at a DOT scale is foolish to say it will not be a problem and imply it's Okay. . Thats the same thing as saying a person ran a red light in front of a marked police vehicle and did not get stopped. Both are wrong, at times people will get away with those and at times will be held accountable.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #47
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, I have to admit that I, and most other folks, don't have reading "compression" although I'm thinking my new quadfocals may be compressing my sight a bit.

As far as Permian Basin - Amarillo isn't. As far as big red being one of the largest oil companies, I've never heard of them or seen one of their trucks. I do however see hundreds of trucks from Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Huges, ExxonMobil, Conoco etc. Nothing makes me an expert on oil field trucks just as working on or derating oilfield trucks has nothing to do with towing an RV. I did have friends and relatives that worked in various fields within the oilfield; trucking, well servicing, drilling etc. So the workings, and tales of on the job experiences are not new to me.

As I tried to allude to earlier, what an oil company does to a truck "to get by" and how an employee perceives whatever is being done is well and good within that confine as long as the company execs sign off on it. However, that does not translate across the board into regular "mom and pop" ownership of an RV driving a stock, from the dealer, pickup purchased to tow that RV safely - not hotshot a load of sucker rod across the panhandle.

I do read, comprehend and understand. I just know when rhetoric said to be fact/gospel is in fact not relative to the situation at hand - towing an RV safely. I don't know of anyone here aspiring to drive a hotshot truck, transport, frack/sand truck or pulling unit. I'm done.
So Im hardly in Amarillo, for 1, i spend a few days per month there, my time is spent in Odessa, Halliburton's name is "BIG RED" ... I'll let you guess why
Old 10-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #48
thatoneguy

Furthermore, you are getting hung up on this, People LITTERALLY are on here using those stickers as tow rating worthiness guides....I said don't do that then im criticized and told "thats not your tow rating" Well no joke that was my point, the commercial mention is to show I'm considered a professional in terms of towing.... Different professionals may have different opinions but Im having to reread dot regulations almost monthly,... im excessive though, Also does it show im using an app on my phone to type, pointing out auto correct typos dosen't make you superior, and the condescending people on this forum, is sadly a big put off with you holier-than-thou types.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread has digressed from a conversation to name calling. It's being closed for two reasons: First, it no longer serves a constructive "forum purpose" and second, it's bordering on getting some posters in the "forum slammer" for rules violations...

Gentlemen, calm down and take this thread closure as a warning not to enter public comments that are in violation of forum rules.

THREAD CLOSED.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
tow