Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Avalanche80601

New Member - Fresh Water tank issue

Curious if anyone has had the same problem or have tricks to offer.

My problem is I have a New 2019 5th Wheel trailer that I just discovered that Keystone specs the fresh water tank @ 66 gallon:
* 54 Gallon fresh water tank.
* 12 Gallon water heater tank.

My problem has become filling my fresh water tank to "Full - 54 gallons".
Because I can't rely on the gauges - I bought a water meter to hook to my hose to determine how many gallons am I actually putting in my fresh water tank.

So far, I have only been able to put 43 gallons of fresh water in the tank, before it starts to flow out of the Overflow.

The trailer is relatively flat when I'm filling, and actually leans slightly (-1.03) degrees to the opposite side of filling inlet.

ANYONE have the same problem or tricks to get more water in the tank?
Avalanche80601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Welcome to the crew from Southeastern Connecticut! Lots of great folks here!

In order to do a complete fill of your fresh water system, you will need to fill the hot water tank and all of the lines. The quickest way to do this is to do this is to open your farthest faucets, both hot and cold, from the CITY WATER setting and "flood" all of your lines.Once there is no air in the lines, now close the faucets, and sequential open all other faucets, and the toilet, and outside shower till all air is removed. If you have washer dryer prep, bleed these too. For safety sake, we use blocking caps on these faucets. (Grandkids, don't ya' know! LOL)

You are now as full as you are going to get get! Just remember to sanitize before use, AND drain all of these lines when winterizing.

Good Luck, and Happy Camping,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
Avalanche80601

I've tried to pre-fill things as much as I can. My trailer has a "By-pass" to fill the Hot Water heater. I also have a Black tank flush.

My routine is the following:
@ Home before leaving, I will add 5-6 gallons into the Black tank so It's ready to go and I'm not stepping on the Flush to fill the black tank a little before adding tank chemical.
I will also By-pass and fill the Hot water heater at home.

At Fill Station: I hook up the hose to my digital gpm gauge to see how many gallons I've put into the Fresh Water tank.
Keystone specs the trailer at 54 gallons for the fresh water tank - and so far I've only been able to get approximately 43 gallons in the tank.

Any thoughts?
Avalanche80601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

I have heard that the RV manufactures sometimes change things, including water tanks, during mid year model runs of any particular model, which might explain your water quantity issue.

Travel safe and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, new member, tank, water