Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The refrigerator top/roof vent is a 2 piece "contraption". What you see in your photo is the "top section of the roof vent". Dig out the sealant from the 4 holes and you'll see 4 screws. Unscrew them and GENTLY pull/wiggle the top part off the assembly. Under it you'll find another plastic/metal vent with screen to prevent bugs/mice/bats from entering your RV. That part is sealed to the roof using the DICOR self leveling sealant. That's the "fridge vent sealant" you need to check. Clean and reseal/repair any and all "questionable sealant beads"....

From the photo, the "removeable, top part of your refrigerator vent is broken. There are no "slits/holes" with jagged edges molded into that component. It's also UV damaged and needs to be replaced. You'll need to buy the complete assembly since "just the top piece" is not available separately. There are two sizes of roof vent, so take the old top part with you when you go to buy the new vent.

Once you get the refrigerator vent resealed and the top section reinstalled, fill those 4 screw holes with sealant. If you don't, water sitting in there will rust the screws, but more importantly, water that freezes in those holes will crack (and destroy) the vent next winter. It's important to seal the holes....

After you get the refrigerator roof vent repaired/resealed, you're just getting started on the roof. You also have all the plumbing vent stacks, the 14" roof vents, the TV antenna, the air conditioning gasket (no DICOR there) all that need to be inspected. After doing that, carefully inspect "ALL THE SIDE MOLDINGS" all around the perimeter of the roof, carefully checking it for damage, loose screws, defective sealant. Don't forget to also check the front "roof/front panel" seam. It's an aluminum strip screwed over the TPO/FILON/or aluminum section that makes up the front of the trailer. That seam, on either side of the aluminum strip AND the screws that attach it in place are probably the "biggest reason for trailer rot" so be sure to very carefully the entire roof.

After that, check all windows, all baggage doors, the entry door, the awning rails, the bottom "J wrap molding", the wheelwell screws, the clearance lights, the tail lights, the roof ladder (if you have one), the range hood vent, the city water inlet, mouse hole for the shore power cord, and any other "places on the trailer where the factory "punched, cut, sawed or knocked a hole in the trailer".... Make sure the ENTIRE trailer and all openings are inspected for sealant damage, UV damage and/or evidence of loose screws/leaks/rust stains or anything else that looks "wonkey"....

It ain't an afternoon job, it's a weekend of dedicated effort job, and in some cases, much more than can be done in a weekend....
when we get some clear weather I'll get up there again to take a look at that vent. Those holes are so evenly spaced and the same it sure looks like they belong there. Not sure what you mean by the complete assembly - you mean it'll be the vent cover and whatever is underneath it? And yes, sounds like I have my work cut out for me.....
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

When you remove the top part of the cover, you'll find this underneath it. As for the "designed in slits" that are shown in your photo. The bottom of those slits are far too ragged to be "factory cut" so they are the result of damage to "the existing slits" or from a "broken top cap". Either way, it needs to be replaced, not cleaned up and reinstalled.

Here are photos of the two parts of the refrigerator roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC ROOF TOP REFRIGERATOR VENT 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	26862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC ROOF TOP REFRIGERATOR VENT.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	26863  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:53 AM   #23
TinaMBee1

fridge vent

so I went out the other day and got a good picture of the fridge vent cover on the roof. It's not broken. Those designs are on both sides of the vent and evenly spaced. Not sure why they are rough but they are part of the design
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized_20200425_112127.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	26968  
Old 04-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #24
TinaMBee1

washing the camper

As it was looking at the video (for about the 20th time) where he talks about washing the camper and what to polish it with I realized that his camper has siding and mine does not. My camper is smooth on the side. I've attached a picture. Was wondering also what I could do about the decal that has cracked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized_20200425_112821.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	26969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200425_112841.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	26970  
Old 04-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Your camper has FILON walls, which is a fiberglass exterior wall. Google FILON or fiberglass polish or waxing or surface cleaning and I'm sure you will find lots of videos.

As far as the decal there is nothing to be done but to replace it. Treckwood. com MAY have it but they don't keep then forever. You may need to find a vinyl shop (or vinyl graphics shop) and have it replicated. Sometimes it's more economical to have them made.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #26
Keystoned

Or maybe a matching crayon fill in the meantime?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #27
dmfrosty

Hi!

You can join the Camping Community Club on Facebook. The club offers mentors for all different types of camping and rigs. It is a really cool program for newer RV owners and campers. Hope this helps!
dmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #28
TallEddie

I am in Fredericksburg, VA. I would be more than happy to help you out. Been camping for 6 years now with my wife and two kids. I do all the maintenance on my trailer and have made a few upgrades. I am sure I will be able to answer any questions you have.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #29
Roscommon48

Mentors all over the place at a RV campground. When you can just camp and start asking people.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #30
HDroadglide

I wash the top of my camper twice a year and check its condition and I do it crawling around on my knees, this way i want fall OFF.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #31
Harried Harry

As for washing the trailer, just get a bucket and fill with warm water and use a gentle soap. Use a gentle brush or old towel to scrub it down. Be careful wherever you find a slope. I have a long handle, adjustable length brush which can be hooked to a garden hose. Do all your patching first, then wash starting at the top, then rinse well, then do the sides. Many people wax the trailer, which does help keep the bugs off.

Best wishes and enjoy yourselves.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:49 AM   #32
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
thank you for the ladder advice! Whew - I have no permanent ladder so no walking on the roof.

Reach out to Keystone customer support to determine if your roof is walkable or not. Send your query in with the VIN and they should be able to help you. I'm not sure if they're still closed down so you may have to wait a bit to get a response.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #33
tonysr

RV roof maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
hi all! I'm looking for a camper owner mentor I bought a new to me Keystone camper last year and want to learn how to care for it. My partner is not able to look on the roof, etc. I can climb a ladder and look at the roof but what exactly is it I'm supposed to be looking at/for? This 'rubber/membrane' roof thing has me scared to death. I'm near Fredericksburg, VA and wondering if there is someone out there who'd be willing to teach me some stuff!

Thanks!
TinaBee
Copy this link, it has a lot of good information you're looking for and paste it on your search bar.
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-ro...s-care-rubber/
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote