Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
We have done that for a while also and it helps the sensors to occasionally work right. BTW only using Dawn because it is always the cheapest. We use about a third of a bottle.
What size bottle is that? Is that 1/3 bottle for a single use or over the season? I'd hate to see someone take a 64 oz. bottle and pour 12-13 oz. into a black water tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What size bottle is that? Is that 1/3 bottle for a single use or over the season? I'd hate to see someone take a 64 oz. bottle and pour 12-13 oz. into a black water tank.
Don Ho had a "hit record" titled, "Tiny Bubbles" but his was in the wine....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've seen how these tanks are held in place, so traveling empty is my preference, not that I can't haul the weight but because OF the weight.
These tanks are held in place by a small lip on each end resting on the frame &/or held up by 2, maybe 3, thin straps attached on either end with a self tapping screw, with 200-300 lbs bouncing up/down sloshing back/forth on our great highways would be like me (250lbs) jumping up/down on a twin bed with only a couple 1x4 slats, ain't gonna hold up very long. If only stopping to sleep a couple nights I wouldn't worry about draining, but if staying a weekend using the toilet, shower & sinks I'd drain before traveling too far.
We also didn't haul fresh water. Had a jug by the toilet that would get us through several days of traveling potty stops & we never dry camped. If we had to have water I'd add to the fw tank as necessary.
I would add that if the tanks are full beyond a certain point (I don't know what that is) then the slosh problem could be an issue under some circumstances. I think in other use cases tanks similar to these have baffles to eliminate or minimize sloshing. However, if I am making a shorter trip over easy roads I do like the idea of filling the black and grey tanks maybe 1/8 full (I have a meter on my water fill line) and adding some dawn.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

In my experience, baffles are found in fresh water (clear water) tanks, but not in black tanks. If you think about it, if there are baffles to inhibit fluid movement inside the black tank, then those same baffles will restrict flow to the outlet, making "lumps and clumps" even harder to remove. So, most waste water holding tanks are "wide, relatively shallow and span the width of the trailer between the frame rails. I can't remember the last time I encountered a black tank that was over 10" deep on the deep end (most are 7 or 8"). Most are wedge shaped with the deepest end at the outlet, which will "inherently reduce movement during towing" but isn't a "true baffle".

The design of most black tanks will "keep the tank flush nozzle" above the water level until the tank is about 1/3 full, possibly even 1/2 full. That's by design, not accidental or non-intentional. The reason is to maximize the "directed spray" above the waterline for as long as possible, allowing for "wet-down and washing away any stuck on waste" that might be adhered to the tank sidewalls or top. Because of nozzle positioning, if you want the "enzymes or the Dawn to soak the nozzle" the tank needs to be "pretty well filled" to assure the nozzle is under water.

Driving and sloshing during towing will help force water flow over the nozzle, but only if there is enough side to side motion AND if the water level is high enough to get the Dawn from the deep end to the shallow end of the tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
CraigB

Not quite

If you've read forums regarding keystone products, or owned one, you would be aware that the holding takes on these RV's are very poorly installed and very prone to falling or separating at the top seal when full. Although I wouldn't dump from one overnight stay, I wouldn't go more than a few days on the road. Rise your tanks when you get to your destination.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #26
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Driving and sloshing during towing will help force water flow over the nozzle, but only if there is enough side to side motion AND if the water level is high enough to get the Dawn from the deep end to the shallow end of the tank.
Yes John a drive down US 95 from Bullhead City to Yuma with 1/3 tank of water and a good squirt of Dawn will really get all of the motion required to TOTALLY clean that black tank. Believe me.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I used Dawn at 1st, but a little goes a very long way, dumping a 1/3 of a big bottle you'll rinse suds for a week. I started using a couple cap fulls of cheap laundry detergent from the dollar store which seemed to work just as well & much less suds.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
bfisher003

We don’t dump our tanks every time we stop.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
Bisjoe

Fortunately for us, most trips involve I5 north or south. We are about halfway between the rest stops at Smokey Point WA to the north, and Federal Way WA to the south. Both have free dumping, so if our tank is not more than about 1/2 full we wait and stop on the way home. If it's closer to full we will dump at the campground before we leave.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #30
Big1

Now I have to remember to use the Dawn, I did use on our last trip Spic and Span in the black water tank and flush it about 4 to 5 times.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #31
GaryUT

We mostly dry camp. At the end of a 4 day weekend the tanks are pretty full, and we are often several mile down a dirt road.

Never had a problem towing with the tanks full, sometimes for hundreds of miles.

If we have hookups I will run the black tank flusher to mostly fill the tank and dump before we leave. I never have a completly empty black tank, always put a few gallons of water in the tank plus the chemicals after the dump.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #32
chunker

We quit using the dawn because of the suds and now use a dishwasher liquid such as Cascade. Not sudsing and it's "slicker". The motorhome has a dishwasher we use infrequently and we'll take some of the dishwasher stuff, dilute in a bucket and pour in the toilet. Tank sensors even work reliably.

If you use the Dawn or equivalent and then the black tank flush, you WILL see some suds.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote