Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
Larrystegall

give me 40 acres!

Like the old song, I like a bit of space. I was a one-shot wonder some of the time with a 32' TT, moved up to the 42' 5th and have NEVER nailed it on one shot. I just can't "see" the swivel point in my head. But I plan to keep practicing......
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
Modifier

I will bet he cannot do that if you add WD bars and a sway control device.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
tech740

I have found that axle placement also makes a difference. My cougar the axles seemed to be very close to the midpoint and I had a hard time learning on that rig. With my new 5th wheel they are about 6.5-8 feet further back. It seems to pull better and backup way easier. If you have a slider and use it, it will back up easier for most folks also because it moves the pivot point back toward the bumper which most people are more accustomed too.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the easiest to back trailer we've owned was the Holiday Rambler (36' long). The Cougar fifth wheel (31') is more challenging, but I usually get it close on the first try and make it look like I'm rolling around looking for a level spot from there....

I will say that the hardest damn trailer I have to back is the 4' garden utility trailer behind the lawn tractor. That thing will jack-knife in about 6 inches of "wrong direction" while in reverse...... More than a few choice words with that trailer !!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #25
larryflew

Agree with using the slider, it's the difference between one shot or several. BTW after years of watching RVers park it IS a spectator sport and especially if they come in during cocktail times ��
Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

I finally talked my neighbor into a slider for his 250 short bed. Sadly he did not think to use it on the 1st trip with his new Montana. A 6-7" scrape on the 5er cap, a dimple on the cab was the result. Another couple degrees and the window would have broke, thankfully only a scratch there as well. Bites when you try to hurry out of a problem area.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #27
jimborokz

[QUOTE=travelin texans;347061]Let us see that person do that with a 40' 5er & a CC DRW long bed truck, then I'd be impressed.
We witnessed a couple pull into a park where all sites were wide enough to be comfortable but not huge, all were 90 degree back ins. They were in a DRW CC F350 towing a long 5er, he got out, the women all of about 4'6" tall about the size of a 10 year old girl, she got behind the wheel while he stood at the drivers side front bumper pointing (not shouting) to her directions, she never took her eyes off him & backed in perfectly 1st shot. We were very impressed!
Y
Years ago when our kids were young and we had a rather large popup and a mid sized station wagon we would camp at state campgrounds that had pretty tight sites to back into. DW would take the wheel and I would walk along beside the drivers door and just tell her which way to turn the wheel, down right or down left. She would look straight ahead and nail it the first time everytime. Loved seeing the looks on the neighbors faces when we were done.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 AM   #28
slimchancepistolero

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I never had trouble backing boats from 14' to 30', never had a problem with a TT of any size. Now on my 4th 5er and still can't back the damn thing in!
you guys are really building my confidence .... i too have been towing boat trls and TT for a long time and have not had any problems, threading the needle, now on my first 5th whl and it took me over a half hour just to park it in the barn yard when i brought it home .... first real trip coming up, half mile twisting dirt road with trees on both sides then up a steep hill (150 yrds) with water bars and then the fun begins backing down hill in a field along with other campers ... no place to turn around till i get to the top of the hill
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #29
jimborokz

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the easiest to back trailer we've owned was the Holiday Rambler (36' long). The Cougar fifth wheel (31') is more challenging, but I usually get it close on the first try and make it look like I'm rolling around looking for a level spot from there....

I will say that the hardest damn trailer I have to back is the 4' garden utility trailer behind the lawn tractor. That thing will jack-knife in about 6 inches of "wrong direction" while in reverse...... More than a few choice words with that trailer !!!!!!!
totally agree with the lawn tractor issue. When I back the leaf sweeper into it's parking spot I'm like Austin Powers turning around in the tunnel. https://youtu.be/iLKR9tCiwvA But I just can't figure what it is about the pivot point of the fw vs a tow behind that makes it so much harder to back up. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like I have a lot of company.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #30
CaptnJohn

I met a couple in GA that took driving lessons in Florida. The instructor put 3 stickers on each side of the 40’ 5er. The spotter stood in a spot and when each sticker arrived the driver made an adjustment. The f450!put it spit on every time.
I’d like to find that guy with the stickers.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #31
retiredusps69

Backing

The hardest trailer I had to use as a Green Horn was a Gasoline trailer with a Split Tandem.The torque rods would change the load to the other ax;e when backed over even a small pebble. troopers could not scale you on portables it transferred the weight to the other axle. I looked like a Drunk backing up until I mastered it.About a Month,Even after 40 yrs Driving tractor Trailers I still Goof Up.Old timer told me if you can't get it in the spot get out walk around the truck have a smoke and get back in and get it done.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #32
kcamp99186

I was leaving a campground in Monongahela National Forrest when we came upon a very large tree lying across the roadway. There was simply no way to move the thing, at least 60' long and 3' thick. We happened to be about 1/4 mile up the graveled, mountain road from the nearest cutoff or turnaround. Thankfully a friend had camped with us and he drove his vehicle to the bottom of the mountain to stop traffic and we (DW and I) backed down. It was a journey! I was on the drop off side and I asked her to warn me if I approached the ditch on her side too closely. She always said "stop, you're about to go into the ditch!". I just couldn't get it into her head to warn me before it got to that point. But, we made it safely to the bottom without any serious hiccups and our marriage survived. LOL

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #33
slimchancepistolero

i read in a forum about a trick used for backing TT .... take a 2" yellow strap and roll it out where you can see it and use it for a guide .... came home from first camping trip with my first ever 5er .. had to back it beside the barn going around a slight corner.... laid out the strap and with only pulling forward twice i was exactly beside the yellow strap .... rolled it up and put the strap in the basement ... ta da
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote