Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
bdm1639

Keystone Cougar fifth wheel

I have a 2017 Cougar 25RES fifth wheel.
Has anyone upgraded their battery(s) to lithium iron batteries? And if so do you consider it a major improvement over the battery that came with the unit? The Lithium batteries are very pricey so I would not upgrade unless there is a major improvement which I believe they would be. Also did you have to upgrade your charge controller? I am considering a lithium upgrade. I currently have just the one battery that came in the fifth wheel. Also does anyone know the location of the charge controller?
Thanks
bdm1639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
5J's

Im curious where this thread goes. I had a battery short one cell this weekend ruining the batteries in my truck and likely the second battery in my 5er. I'm looking at going with a set of 4 GC batteries. I'm curious if my charger is up to the task and now I'm curious about the L Ion batteries.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
BAK

I have a 2018 25RES and the inverter/charger is behind the main breaker panel next to the stove. Make sure to cut the power to the trailer before removing the main breaker panel. There should be enough cable service loop to pull it out of the way in order to access the inverter/charger behind it.

I upgraded to an AGM battery and had a few issues with the existing inverter/charger keeping the battery charged at first but it seems to be working good now.

BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
bdm1639

Thank you. I appreciate the info.
bdm1639 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel, keystone