Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Aorobie

Birds pecking the rubber roof

ok the black birds (ravens?) have taken a likeness to my tpo rubber roof. Have no less than twenty 1" to 2" holes. I'm currently patching them up. Any ideas mild or wild to combat these flying pest?
Aorobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
busterbrown

This is the first I've heard of a bird attack on an RV roof. I've see several land on mine at campgrounds but never experienced a pecking disturbance. Don't have a solution to offer but hope the damage isnt to severe.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I don't know either, just adding I had crows pull off the rubber wiper blades on a pickup. 1 was missing when I walked up finding them pulling the second off. I never found the 1 they took. If they had gotten the second and left before I caught them. I would have blamed the thief to humans.
Owl decoys worked at beach house and near spa deck at home to keep birds from pooping all over the decks. Not sure they keep crows, black birds or ravens away.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
bobbecky

I have read that it isn't a good idea to wash your rubber roof with a soap that has a fruity smell, as it will attract birds. I have never had an issue with this problem, but I rarely wash our roof.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
ingram

I have recently had a red bird that likes to land on the bumper of my pickup, sees his reflection, and proceeds to "fight" it by flinging himself against the tailgate, all the while, relieving himself. A neighbor of mine suggested I get a rubber toy snake and put it on the bumper. I just draped a couple of tie down straps across it. Problem solved. I wonder if you put a couple on the roof if that would work?
ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #6
OldMasterTech

Did you observe any ants or other insects in or around the areas they were pecking?
2017 Escape Titanium - 2007 Shelby GT500
2007 E350 Quigley 4wd 6.0 PS
2006 F550 Lariat 6.0 PS
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #7
Ddubya

I have seen crows and vultures completely destroy vinyl boat seats but have not heard anything about RV roofs. Pretty scary.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #8
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram View Post
I have recently had a red bird that likes to land on the bumper of my pickup, sees his reflection, and proceeds to "fight" it by flinging himself against the tailgate, all the while, relieving himself. A neighbor of mine suggested I get a rubber toy snake and put it on the bumper. I just draped a couple of tie down straps across it. Problem solved. I wonder if you put a couple on the roof if that would work?
I was at a campground a few months ago and noticed that quite a few of the vehicles had plastic bags wrapped around the mirrors on either side of the vehicles. Apparently, the cardinals see themselves in the mirrors and try fighting themselves and get their poop all over the doors of the vehicles. Not sure if it happens only at that time of the year, but a few of the people I spoke with said it happens every year they are there.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I forgot about snakes. Seen them used unknown how well they work. On a dock in the river there is an about 10 ft alligator. It keeps birds and seals away.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
KeithInUpstateNY

I found hawk decoys work better than owl decoys at keeping the woodpeckers away from the siding on my cabin. Haven't had a problem since I put up one in each side. Depends on what the natural predator is of the species you are trying to get rid of I suspect.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
travelin texans

Had cactus wrens perforate my stinky slinky a couple years ago while wintering in Arizona & pretty sure it wasn't due to a fruity smell. Fortunately it was only on the top side so wasn't a huge mess.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #12
Roger H.

Crows pecking rv roof

I have a 2019 outback and I've been having the same problem with crows pecking our roof.
This has been going on since we purchased our travel trailer.
I've tried fake owls, and rubber snakes and nothing is working.
The crows pecking holes from 1/4 inch up to 3 inches, they also pecking the polyurethane caulking as if it were bubblegum.
It has now become a reoccurring maintenance issue.
In the last four years we have accumulated over 65 patches.
Roger H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H. View Post
I have a 2019 outback and I've been having the same problem with crows pecking our roof.
The crows pecking holes from 1/4 inch up to 3 inches, they also pecking the polyurethane caulking as if it were bubblegum.

Wow! I'd be "eliminating" some crows. That's a lot of damage (and expensive) for them to do to your trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H. View Post
try this maybe…mount it to the top of the ac unit while in storage with a removable mount..or use the dicor roof sealant to mount/glue the base to the roof. maybe one on each end of the trailer https://www.birdbgone.com/repeller-360/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	571F0C89-ABEC-4909-A228-B7A42A53EFCB.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	41051  
Old 01-29-2024, 12:35 PM   #15
ss0073

OK, after seeing the condition of my (previously) perfectly sealed and waterproof roof, I did a quick search and it brought me here. I actually registered so I could post pictures of the damage caused. I will be thinning out the numbers with some #7.5 shot this spring. This is out of control. The ravins actually pecked the plastic cover apart on my roof top AC unit, and then destroyed the aluminum cooling fins, along with multiple holes in the roof membrane. Pulled insulation out of the roof, and it looks to me like they went through anyplace there was metal underneath, especially screw heads. Yes, I have the culprits on game camera stills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	46095   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	46096   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	46097   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper7.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	46098   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	46099  

Name:	camper4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	46100   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	46101  
ss0073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0073 View Post
OK, after seeing the condition of my (previously) perfectly sealed and waterproof roof, I did a quick search and it brought me here. I actually registered so I could post pictures of the damage caused. I will be thinning out the numbers with some #7.5 shot this spring. This is out of control. The ravins actually pecked the plastic cover apart on my roof top AC unit, and then destroyed the aluminum cooling fins, along with multiple holes in the roof membrane. Pulled insulation out of the roof, and it looks to me like they went through anyplace there was metal underneath, especially screw heads. Yes, I have the culprits on game camera stills.

Ouch!! Welcome to the forum but sorry to see that damage.

Have you thought about making an insurance claim? That is a lot of damage. And yes, I would invite a few friends to try out a few boxes of 7 1/2s. Birds are pretty smart; a few days of repeatedly ambushing them and they tend to look for greener pastures - if you can discharge a gun where you are. A fellow down the road from me uses what I was told (I've not seen it) is a propane "cannon". He has a fairly large pecan orchard and the crows love pecans. They are placed around the orchard and randomly discharge....seem to do a pretty good job.....they all come down here.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:56 PM   #17
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0073 View Post
If you are in Perkiomenville, PA, we are almost neighbors. I better keep an eye on our trailer. Happy Hunting!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #18
ss0073

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ouch!! Welcome to the forum but sorry to see that damage.

Have you thought about making an insurance claim? That is a lot of damage. And yes, I would invite a few friends to try out a few boxes of 7 1/2s. Birds are pretty smart; a few days of repeatedly ambushing them and they tend to look for greener pastures - if you can discharge a gun where you are. A fellow down the road from me uses what I was told (I've not seen it) is a propane "cannon". He has a fairly large pecan orchard and the crows love pecans. They are placed around the orchard and randomly discharge....seem to do a pretty good job.....they all come down here.
I have not yet with the insurance. I just saw this yesterday and all but went postal. The trailer is at my property upstate, went there to do some yote hunting and saw all the shrapnel on the ground....obviously I was inquisitive, so after climbing on the roof, that is what I came across. I can shoot till I run out of ammo where I am, so I can promise the count will start this weekend

As far as the cannon, my buddy was telling me the same thing. Hook it up to a propane BBQ tank, set a timer, and it goes off on the set time. Friend of his used one for geese.

Something needs to be done....
Old 01-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #19
ss0073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
If you are in Perkiomenville, PA, we are almost neighbors. I better keep an eye on our trailer. Happy Hunting!
We certainly are, know the area well. Have a good friend over on Orvilla Rd. This didnt happen in the area, this was at my property upstate in Wayne, Co...so hopefully, you are safe.

Not sure what they were attracted to, but it certainly seemed like they wanted the metal. I cant get Eternabond off to save my life, but they went right through it everyplace a screw was under. The seam at the front and back where the aluminum meets the rubber roof, and obviously the AC.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #20
jasin1

looks like the birds were looking for something…possibly a squirrel has been hiding nuts around the ac unit?……either that or someone is throwing bird seed on your trailer or bugs are up there crawling around

edit: I wasn’t aware that some birds are attracted to shiny things but you would think more story’s of damaged ac units would be reported…i like the squirrel theory lol

Tags
roof