Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #41
Desert185

There is no data like there is with the Chinese made tires to substantiate that Maxxis tires are bad tires.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
There is no data like there is with the Chinese made tires to substantiate that Maxxis tires are bad tires.
Where is the "compiled data" (in sufficient quantity) on Chinese tires, either by brand or by category? I'm not talking about individual horror stories, but actual data that give specifics on how/why the tire failed ? I've never seen any source of data that substantiates how many tires failed because of "component failure" vs low tire pressure, vs road hazard vs age vs wear? I believe that without that kind of data, there is no "case against Chinese tires" even though there's a "general feeling that they are substandard"...

I agree, there is a "volume of information" regarding "Chinese ST failure", but it's almost all from "general complaints" on forums like this or campfire conversation. Have you seen a source that has sufficient data to substantiate any action by the feds or even sufficient historical data that could be presented to Keystone as argument that their tire suppliers are providing "technically unsafe" (not opinions of unsafe) tires.

I think one of the problems with getting things changed is that there's no "compiled failure data" available to individuals so we can make "informed decisions" about ST tires. Finding a source for that information may give "interested people" the information they need to "lead a movement" against use of the tires. Is that data available anywhere for the "average consumer" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #43
Desert185

Unfortunately, there is no "official" data on Chinese tires (that I know of)...and there is no data, official or otherwise to substantiate any negatives on Maxxis tires, which was my main point.

There is certainly enough anecdotal data/info in my mind to reasonably decide to not buy Chinese tires (excepting perhaps Sailuns). Maybe if notoriety in the realm of Firestones on Pintos were to happen, with lives lost, some federal agency would investigate and legislate. Personally, I don't need that to happen. There is enough "evidence" for me to make a personal decision.

Anyone want to buy four, Chinese takeoffs in 235/80-16 LRE? Lots of tread left.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #44
cathcartww

My personal opinion is that the industry standard “ST” tire standard is inadequate for the service the ST tires are exposed to. My opinion is based only on my own personal experience, and anecdotal experience of others.
Back in the late 1970’s through the early 1980’s, I was a boat dealer, and we towed all kinds of boats – from 19 footers weighing 2500 lb on a single axle trailer, up to 15,000 lb 30 footers on triple axle trailers - up and down I95 between New Jersey and Florida. We always used the bias ply trailer tires that were available at the time. We would carry plenty of spares, but seldom, if ever, had a problem that could not be traced to a road hazard or axle-bearing-wheel-suspension problem.
Back in the day of cotton tire cords, tires were rated by how many plies they had – the more plies, the stronger the tire, and higher load range. If I remember correctly, 2 ply was A, 4 ply was B, 6 ply was C etc. When nylon and polyester came along to replace cotton, it was twice as strong, so a fewer number of plies was needed to make a tire of the same strength. We saw labels such as 2 ply/4 ply rating, 4 ply/8 ply rating, etc.
Still later, Michelin figured out how to make radial ply tires using steel belts, and that really changed things, but the industry stuck to the “ply rated” terminology even though bias plies were no longer used.
Somewhere during this, the overall quality of trailer tires seemed to deteriorate – I personally do not think a modern day load range “D” ST radial tire holds up anywhere as well as the 4 ply/8 ply rated bias trailer tires we used 40 years ago.
On the other hand, we do seem to ask more of our ST trailer tires as we do our car and truck tires. For instance, here are my three personal vehicles, using the maximum axle rating for each – I know none of them are really running at the maximum most of the time, but I bet the Ford and trailer are close when we are towing:
1995 Chevy G20 Van, front 3400lb, rear 3406lb, running 31x10.5R15LT LR C Tires rated 2270lb @ 50psi – they are loaded at about 75% capacity.
2002 VW Beetle, front 2183lb, rear 1588lb, running 205/55R16 91H tires rated 1356lb @ 44psi – they are loaded to about 80% capacity.
Ford E350 Van, front 4600lb, rear 5360lb, running LT285/75R16 LR E tires rated at 3750lbs @ 80psi – they are loaded to about 71% capacity.
2015 Outback 277RL, 4400 lb axles, came with ST225/75R15 LR D tires Chinese tires rated at 2540lbs @ 65psi – they were loaded to 86% capacity
We blew on of the LR D tires last winter – no obvious hazard, and pressures were OK 150 miles earlier – go figure. We replace them with Maaxis LR E rated at 2830lb @ 80psi, so they are loaded at about 77%, which is more in line with the other vehicles.
Hoping for the best, but sure wish there were more commercial trailer tires available in 15” !!

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote