Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #1
trueweb

First Blowout Experience

Had to happen at some point I guess. I had my first blowout. It went with a bang!

Fortunately I had all the tools to fix it. The Anderson Rapid Jack I added to my toolkit a month ago saved the day and made it super easy to lift the tire off the ground to replace the flat.

I was also fortunate the tire was on the side of the RV not facing the highway, that would have been really scary. I did have to use a board under the Anderson since it kept sinking into the soft dirt on the shoulder.

The spare was about 20psi low. From now on I check that regularly adding 20 pounds to an RV tire in 95 degrees with humidity was no fun.

The blowout was on the inside sidewall of the tire. It ripped down the corrugated underbelly sheet and in the process ripped the fresh water hose down and slammed the valve onto the road breaking it. Good thing I was headed home and had already emptied the tank. I am going to try to repair the underbelly material, but I may need to replace it. Does anyone know where I can get some shipped to me?

My auto shop is recommending Hi-Run tires, which I cannot find a lot of information on. For $9 additional I can get Carlisle tires. At least Carlisle has a web site with details about their tires and model comparisons. I'm leaning toward the Carlisles at this point. They also have a higher capacity per tire, almost 400lbs each at 80psi. I noticed a bubble forming in the sidewall of another of the tires so they are all going to get replaced.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
jimbari

Glad things worked out for you "on the road". It can be very a scary event.
My Rockwood Premier has Carlisle tires, came that way 4 years ago, did not know what Carlisle was/is.
If you found a "bubble", maybe it could have been worse, had you not found it!
jimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
gearhead

Curious, what brand of tire was it that blew? How old, miles, etc.?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:11 AM   #4
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
My auto shop is recommending Hi-Run tires, which I cannot find a lot of information on. For $9 additional I can get Carlisle tires. At least Carlisle has a web site with details about their tires and model comparisons. I'm leaning toward the Carlisles at this point. They also have a higher capacity per tire, almost 400lbs each at 80psi. I noticed a bubble forming in the sidewall of another of the tires so they are all going to get replaced.
As I recall, some years ago Carlisle went through a bad period with their tires, seems to have shaken the confidence of a number of owners. The ST tires went through a re-design, I had the Radial Trail RH's mounted right at a year ago, 5,000 miles on them, wearing nicely. I bumped up a load range for an extra measure of safety. I'll add another 2,000 miles on them in August, very confident in them.

Best of luck, safe travels.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Larry1013

FYI, Carlisle tires are made in China also.

I just replaced my 5 year old trailer tires with Maxxis. Hoping to test them out soon.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
Bushman512000

Carlies

Have the new line on the 5er they are 15" 10 plys and so far great I used metal stems and max air but also drive at about 63mph if roads are real hot .....
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
trueweb

They were Mission radials 235/80R14. They were on it when I bought it. I put maybe 3,000 miles on them over the last year. Now that one went and I look closer I see a bulge in the sidewalk of one and some dryrot on another. They are probably not that new. Tread was good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
bsmith0404

I've run Carlisle tires on my last and current 5er. I have also run Maxxis on another trailer. IMO, both are good tires. I went with the Carlisle on the 5er because I could jump up to an F load range not available with Maxxis. I have never had a failure with either brand. The Radial Trail RH tires run very nice, temps and pressure build up are very consistent across all 4 tires, which gives me confidence in their performance.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
trueweb

You have to go with the 235/85 to get the F rated tires. Is that what your 5th came with or did you move up a size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I've run Carlisle tires on my last and current 5er. I have also run Maxxis on another trailer. IMO, both are good tires. I went with the Carlisle on the 5er because I could jump up to an F load range not available with Maxxis. I have never had a failure with either brand. The Radial Trail RH tires run very nice, temps and pressure build up are very consistent across all 4 tires, which gives me confidence in their performance.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Came with 235/80, I moved up to the 85s. They are only 1" taller so 1/2" on the top side, plenty of room on my trailer. They also take more pressure so you have to make sure your wheels are rated high enough for it. Several discussions on that issue on the forum. I recently spoke with the guys at Sendel and, although the wheels on my trailer are rated high enough, they feel the wheel is too light for my trailer so I'll be switching those out in the future. Would have been good info to know at the time I put new tires on.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
elbyjo

First Tire Blow Out

Similar conditions with our first blow-out on the road with our 2012 19' Passport. Thank goodness for the dual axle and the 17 inch space between the tires or it might have been a lot worse. The steel belt tread really did a number on the inside of the wheel well as it went through the sheet metal, the wood flooring, and the carpet, before I could get stopped at a safe location. The location of the damage is directly under the kitchen table and we had to put something on top of it since one of our little pups kept trying to slide through the hole and get outside at the RV site. Took the trailer into the dealer on Monday and asked them for an estimate to repair the damage. I am sure I will be able to repair it for a lot less cost. Of course, don't really know what good those two metal bars that were attached to the side of the wheel well wall and were ripped out by the tire! Also, needed tin snips (which I bought) to cut back all the sheet metal that was hanging down from the wheel well and could have ripped the spare. Duct tape came in handy to hold it up until we got to the RV site.
elbyjo is offline   Reply With Quote