Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
MDRVers

New Tire Advice

We just had our 2nd blow out with ST tires yesterday. First with a TT and yesterday (only 30 mins into our drive) with our 2013 Outback Sydney 5th wheel with less than 1500 miles on the RV. I've confirmed the RV is not overloaded; PSI confirmed at 80 prior to leaving and visual inspection looked fine. (I do this every trip and I keep the tires covered). When it blew it sounded like a bomb went off. I would like to get some advice on a recommended tire for our 5th wheel that is 36', weighing at 11,300 lbs (10,200 dry and GVWR is 12,265), wheels are stamped at 3580 so I can't exceed 80 PSI. From posts on here, LTs seem to be the way to go. Went to the shop down the street and they recommended the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply LR E. But, it's rated at 3042 which is a bit lower than the STs on the RV now which is 3520. If I do the math and times 11,200 by 18% (taken off 11,200 for hitch weight) I get 9430 and divide that by 4 I get 2357.50. . So on paper these tires even at 3042 would seem to do the job. Also, would anyone know a method to confirm the axle rating? I believe their 7000 but not sureAny thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!
MDRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
cw3jason

You mentioned weight and tire pressure, but you omitted speed. I have to ask how fast were you traveling to have your second blow out. ST tires are only rated for 65 MPH max.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
EricLynnAllison

I agree with above. Unless your going to stay under 65mph you need to switch to a LT tire. I blew three ST tires in one week. I found out I travel too fast for the ST tire. I run about 70-75mpg and switched to a ST tire. My LT tires were all delaminating upon inspection so all were replaced. 7 tires, ouch.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
therink

I have almost the identical trailer (gvwr on mine is 12,400). Mine came with "Road Masters", I believe. They looked like crap tires so as part of the deal when I bought it, I had dealer install a good set of LTs. I haven't had a problem yet and they look good riding under the load.
I recommend swapping out to LTs, have them balanced. Other than road hazards, you should not experience further issues.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
gearhead

If the paper sticker is still on the axles, the rating should be on there.
I went with Maxxis, but to each his own.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
bsmith0404

There are a lot of threads on here that discuss LT vs ST tires. Personally I like Carlisle and Maxxis ST tires (I can't get a Maxxis in the size & load range for my current 5er).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
cardinal96ss

Tire upgrades

After suffering tire failure on our 36 ft Montana 5th wheel which is heavy and not being very good at controlling my speed, I decided to follow the advice of others previously on this forum and quit working on the margins. I bought some safety and peace of mind by upgrading my whole wheel/tire assembly. I went with 17.5 in aluminum wheels and Continental 215/75R-17.5 LRJ 18 ply tires inflated to 120 PSI. These fit on my 1/2 inch studs with no mods required and the tires are essentially the same diameter (0.2 inches smaller).
I purchased these from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/. They are easy to work with and I am very satisfied. I talked with Michael who confirmed that the specific tires I would get were manufactured only 4 months earlier and that they would be shipped, assembled and balanced, the next day by FedEx. I got them in two days as promised.
It may be something for others to consider, but fair warning, it's not cheap.
We are taking our first 3 week trip next month so no road use comments yet but I'll add them later.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
After suffering tire failure on our 36 ft Montana 5th wheel which is heavy and not being very good at controlling my speed, I decided to follow the advice of others previously on this forum and quit working on the margins. I bought some safety and peace of mind by upgrading my whole wheel/tire assembly. I went with 17.5 in aluminum wheels and Continental 215/75R-17.5 LRJ 18 ply tires inflated to 120 PSI. These fit on my 1/2 inch studs with no mods required and the tires are essentially the same diameter (0.2 inches smaller).
I purchased these from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/. They are easy to work with and I am very satisfied. I talked with Michael who confirmed that the specific tires I would get were manufactured only 4 months earlier and that they would be shipped, assembled and balanced, the next day by FedEx. I got them in two days as promised.
It may be something for others to consider, but fair warning, it's not cheap.
We are taking our first 3 week trip next month so no road use comments yet but I'll add them later.
Your Continental LRJ tires are most likely a European designed tire with a 62 MPH maximum speed restriction. You can check the Continental truck tire data book for verification.

The TRA does not allow tires with speed restrictions lower than 65 MPH to be manipulated with load/inflation pressures to gain more speed. If you know someone with a TRA manual they can verify that for you. A statement to that fact can also be found in the Michelin truck tire data book.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRVers View Post
We just had our 2nd blow out with ST tires yesterday. First with a TT and yesterday (only 30 mins into our drive) with our 2013 Outback Sydney 5th wheel with less than 1500 miles on the RV. I've confirmed the RV is not overloaded; PSI confirmed at 80 prior to leaving and visual inspection looked fine. (I do this every trip and I keep the tires covered). When it blew it sounded like a bomb went off. I would like to get some advice on a recommended tire for our 5th wheel that is 36', weighing at 11,300 lbs (10,200 dry and GVWR is 12,265), wheels are stamped at 3580 so I can't exceed 80 PSI. From posts on here, LTs seem to be the way to go. Went to the shop down the street and they recommended the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply LR E. But, it's rated at 3042 which is a bit lower than the STs on the RV now which is 3520. If I do the math and times 11,200 by 18% (taken off 11,200 for hitch weight) I get 9430 and divide that by 4 I get 2357.50. . So on paper these tires even at 3042 would seem to do the job. Also, would anyone know a method to confirm the axle rating? I believe their 7000 but not sureAny thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!
Most of the information you need for replacement tire selections can be found in your owner’s manual. I’ll post a reference to a generic Keystone owner’s manual below.

I’m also posting a reference to a popular ST tire provider. Good reading and lot’s of good “need to know” stuff.

The axle manufacturers’ certified rating can be found on each individual axle. However, that information is just that, information. The trailer manufacturer can set the certified axle ratings (GAWR) to any value up the maximum authorized by the axle manufacturer. So the first, best place to look for the axle ratings is on the trailer’s certification label.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/1614...ual_2013_E.pdf

http://www.maxxis.com/other-automoti...ve-tire-safety
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
cardinal96ss

Clarification on tires

Since there was a conflicting post on my post regarding the Continental tires I purchased, perhaps the following will clarify things. Indeed the tires are made in Europe (Czech Republic) and some tires made there are truck tires and limited to 65 MPH. These are not truck tires; they are listed by Continental as Heavy Trailer Long Haul tires. The complete tire description is 215/75R-17.5 LRJ LTH2 Eco Plus and what follows is off the Continental website description:
Load range- J, Max load inflation- 125 PSI, Max Speed- 75 MPH, Single tire Load at 125 PSI- 4805#
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote