Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #21
kazuaki

I know these S637's are rated at 110psi. Are their ratings for lower pressures? Just wondering if its OK to run at 100 psi or 90 psi. Its not worth it if it compromises safety of course.
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
Quad

235/85-16 OK on Triple Axle Raptor?

Yes you can run them at a lower PSI. Just use a load inflation chart. I use to run mine at 100 psi. I removed the rubber valve stems and installed metal valve stems on my rims. Then I'd run them at my wheels max PSI of 100 psi. Since then I contacted Sendel wheels about my wheels. I asked some loaded questions they wouldn't straight forward answer (obviously), but after asking the questions, the person ask me to call them. When I called their direct number we talked about what I was wanting and what I was doing with my 5er and I was told with installing metal bolt in valve stems my wheels would be sufficient for running at 110 psi. That doesn't mean everyone's is just because I do it and it works for me. But I felt good with their expertise and knowledge and it only being 10 psi over my max published PSI. Been that way all last year over about 5000-7000 miles. Worked well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #23
Quad

Here is the load inflation chart the Manufacture sent me for the Sailun S637.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
kazuaki

Excellent, thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #25
kazuaki

Another trip in the books. Just wanted to update anyone considering this upgrade. The tires roll well and the clearance is fine (on my fifth wheel anyway).
Old 03-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #26
CWtheMan

A note:

Like the GY G614 the Sailun S637 is an all steel cased tire and like the G614 it is designed to be fitted to high pressure rims (110 psi) size 16X6.5. That's not a measuring rim size, it's the only size.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
kazuaki

CW, I have them mounted on 110psi wheels.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
Hey all, just experienced the first blowout on the stock tires on my 2013 Raptor 381lev. Stock size is 235/80-16. Has anybody with a triple axle setup likes this moved up to 238/85-16 without any clearance issues? I'm concerned a out clearance e between the tires. It seems the 238/85 size would give me a larger selection of LT tires to choose from.
Went with 235/85-16 Michelin LT xp rib bought 7 American tire put them on my raptor. What a difference in tow.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
shmthaus

So, how and where did you purchase your Sailun tires from?

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #30
kazuaki

I bought mine from the Big O Tires store right down the street from me.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #31
kazuaki

Finally got the trailer back out to wash it, so I took a quick pic of the tires on it.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #32
Quad

Looks good!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #33
Pulln

I had a tire separate this weekend as I was towing with my motorcycle in the garage. Given the predicament my wife and I consider the fact that this happened right before an exit that had a tire shop just off of it. The tire size issue popped up when speaking to the owner.

He said I should have 235/85's on my 09 Fuzion. When it comes to this I don't know if I am winding my butt or scratching my watch. So now I have some 16 month old 235/80's with one new 235/85.

I have no idea if where to head from here and would appreciate some good words of wisdom.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulln View Post
I had a tire separate this weekend as I was towing with my motorcycle in the garage. Given the predicament my wife and I consider the fact that this happened right before an exit that had a tire shop just off of it. The tire size issue popped up when speaking to the owner.

He said I should have 235/85's on my 09 Fuzion. When it comes to this I don't know if I am winding my butt or scratching my watch. So now I have some 16 month old 235/80's with one new 235/85.

I have no idea if where to head from here and would appreciate some good words of wisdom.
A tread separation is a serious tire problem. It’s causes are numerous and normally from over loading, under inflation and speeding or any combination. A manufacturing defect causing tread separations will almost always cause the whole lot of tires to be recalled and sometimes the entire production of that tire in a particular time frame.

Using different sized tires on the same axle is also a serious problem.

There are a lot of factors to be considered when considering replacement tires. It’s not like changing tires on our motorized vehicles which have numerous approved options. Trailer axles have very few options and most of them are not approved by the trailer manufacturer.

Because most Original Equipment (OE) tires for RV trailers are barely adequate for the loads they are carrying, owners will want to go with replacements that are going to give them some more - needed - load capacity. It’s called plus sizing. To do that you need to know the load capacity of the OE tires at the vehicle manufacturers recommended inflation pressure (s). The maximum load capacity of the rims the OE tires are mounted on and the actual rim width if you're sticking with it’s diameter. Look-up the physical dimensions of the OE tire. Sometimes the trailer manufacturer has already put on the largest tire that will fit safely into the wheel well and still have enough clearance between opposing tires (1” min). Your replacements will have to fit into that wheel well with enough clearances.

The most desirable replacement will be of the same physical size as the OE tire but with a higher load capacity - by inflation. That’s because, with a little luck, the rim will be able to support the increase in load capacity (the rim load capacity will determine it‘s maximum psi rating).

There are no true LT235/85R16E tires with enough load capacity to replace the ST235/80R16E tires. The LT235/85R16G - a trailer tire - would be the best size replacement, but it will almost always require new rims because of it’s load capacity, psi rating and minimum rim width of 6 and ½”. The steel offshore tire also has that rim width. Other options are the ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# 80 psi, or the ST235/85R16F rated at 3960# at 95 psi.

To stay away from tread separations with the replacements don’t skimp in tire inflation pressures, air them to the sidewall pressures.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulln View Post

I replaced my 235/80/16 tires with Michelin XPS Ribs which are 235/85/16 over a year and a half ago. So far, I'm very happy with them and will test them out more in the next few weeks as I'll be traveling over 2,000 miles.

I'm trying to replace my spare tire now with the Michelin and found a guy with 6 of them in excellent shape. He said he'd sale one tire then when I told him I wanted it he never replied back. He's in Houston if anyone needs 6 tires and he said they have around 70% tread left, not sure of the age. $475 for 6 XPS Ribs so they are priced decent I think.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #36
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
A tread separation is a serious tire problem. It’s causes are numerous and normally from over loading, under inflation and speeding or any combination. A manufacturing defect causing tread separations will almost always cause the whole lot of tires to be recalled and sometimes the entire production of that tire in a particular time frame.

Using different sized tires on the same axle is also a serious problem.

There are a lot of factors to be considered when considering replacement tires. It’s not like changing tires on our motorized vehicles which have numerous approved options. Trailer axles have very few options and most of them are not approved by the trailer manufacturer.

Because most Original Equipment (OE) tires for RV trailers are barely adequate for the loads they are carrying, owners will want to go with replacements that are going to give them some more - needed - load capacity. It’s called plus sizing. To do that you need to know the load capacity of the OE tires at the vehicle manufacturers recommended inflation pressure (s). The maximum load capacity of the rims the OE tires are mounted on and the actual rim width if you're sticking with it’s diameter. Look-up the physical dimensions of the OE tire. Sometimes the trailer manufacturer has already put on the largest tire that will fit safely into the wheel well and still have enough clearance between opposing tires (1” min). Your replacements will have to fit into that wheel well with enough clearances.

The most desirable replacement will be of the same physical size as the OE tire but with a higher load capacity - by inflation. That’s because, with a little luck, the rim will be able to support the increase in load capacity (the rim load capacity will determine it‘s maximum psi rating).

There are no true LT235/85R16E tires with enough load capacity to replace the ST235/80R16E tires. The LT235/85R16G - a trailer tire - would be the best size replacement, but it will almost always require new rims because of it’s load capacity, psi rating and minimum rim width of 6 and ½”. The steel offshore tire also has that rim width. Other options are the ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# 80 psi, or the ST235/85R16F rated at 3960# at 95 psi.

To stay away from tread separations with the replacements don’t skimp in tire inflation pressures, air them to the sidewall pressures.

CW
Thanks for the info CW. I found one of your posts earlier today but hadn't had the time to follow up till.

I spoke to a locally owned tire shop and he helped explain many of the points you laid out above.

As a former sailor myself I am a staunch practitioner of PM checks before getting underway and have enlisted the help of my oldest child and wife as well. The only thing I didn't do is spot check my 16 yr old so there is a chance that pressure wasn't properly set. The tire did hold air through the loss of the tread which was a total surprise to me and the tire guys.

My son took a picture of the new tire yesterday and I am pretty sure that there is already a crack developing in it. Due to inclimate weather I haven't had a chance to go back out to the camper to confirm. The brand is Freestar and some quick research last night lead me to believe it isn't the most reliable out on the market to begin with so it will be coming off asap.

I am currently looking at Maxxis and hope to have them installed by a shop near my house tomorrow afternoon.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote