Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Fufys

Unhappy Slide problem on Laredo 294rk

We are having an issue with Keystone concerning a major problem with the large slide on our trailer. the slide doesn't open fully and the pantry and entertainment doors do not open all the way due to striking the slide. This appears to be a problem with the newer made 2014 units. The slide when opened lacks about 2" to seal against the trailer wall. Our dealership is working with us to resolve the problem, if possible, but Keystone only keeps telling us that the slide is working as designed. I find it hard to believe anyone would design purposely a unit that the doors would not open. All of the older pictures on line as well as the online brochure clearly shows that the doors are fully opened. I have been to other dealers that have trailers built about the same time as ours and they all have the same problem. We ordered the trailer since there was not one in inventory and noted on our walk through the problem with the slide. If you know anyone looking a the Laredo 294RK, please tell them to check the pantry doors!
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
HappyCamperMN

Just making sure I understand... you identified a major problem with your RV, but still opted to take delivery of it in that condition.?.?

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Little Guy

Just wondering if this is just a slide readjustment?
Our 2012's slide clears the doors and seals properly.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
therink

If the slide isn't going out all the way to full extension, it is likely an adjustment issue. Dealer should be able to resolve this. Please let us know how you make out.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=Fufys;127188]We are having an issue with Keystone concerning a major problem with the large slide on our trailer. the slide doesn't open fully and the pantry and entertainment doors do not open all the way due to striking the slide. This appears to be a problem with the newer made 2014 units. The slide when opened lacks about 2" to seal against the trailer wall. Our dealership is working with us to resolve the problem, if possible, but Keystone only keeps telling us that the slide is working as designed. I find it hard to believe anyone would design purposely a unit that the doors would not open. All of the older pictures on line as well as the online brochure clearly shows that the doors are fully opened. I have been to other dealers that have trailers built about the same time as ours and they all have the same problem. QUOTE]

In looking at the floor plans for the 2011-14 Laredo 294RKS, it looks like the pantry door(s) and perhaps the entertainment door might not be able to be fully opened. It's a bit difficult to see in the diagram and I couldn't find any photos or videos showing that these doors were in the fully-opened position.

Again, from the floor plan diagram, it does look like the slide when extended does protrude into the kitchen/living room area so perhaps that is the way it was designed and built. But you are right, it does seem strange that they would place cabinets in a place where their doors could not be opened when the slide is out.

Keystone may in fact be correct when they say that the slide is designed to operate that way but it does leave the customer in an awkward position who would assume that all of the cupboard doors would open when slide is out.

It would be interesting to hear what the dealership could do, if anything, about this issue. If the slide is designed and constructed to extend only so far, there isn't much that can be done. Perhaps the doors to the pantry and the entertainment center could be redesigned and rebuilt so that they can be opened.

Little Guy, who has the identical unit, says that he doesn't have this problem which would indicate that it may be a slide adjustment problem. His works - why doesn't yours?

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
jsmith948

Wow, can you post some pictures of your slide? On our 5er, the interior slide seals are attached to the interior wall. The concave metal sealing surface is screwed to the slide roof and walls. When the slide is fully extended, the concave metal molding compresses the seal against the interior wall.
Is this what happens when your slide is fully extended? I don't know why Keystone would design a slide that, when fully extended, leaves a 2 in. gap between the fascia and the interior wall?
Please post some photos.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

This is purely speculation, but may be a part of the issue. Previously the slides were "rack and pinion" type under the floor of the RV. On some (actually many) of the newer models, Keystone is replacing that type of slide mechanism with a cable type. On the cable type slide, the motor is mounted on the side wall above the slide. Because of this, the slide stops moving out about 2-3" before the slide side walls actually are at full extension. This is to accommodate the location of the motor.

If Keystone simply made a "decision in the front office" to change the slide mechanism and engineering didn't catch the difference in slide travel, it's entirely possible that the production line is doing what the "front office ordered" but nobody has considered the location of cupboards that may be affected.

I'd definitely get the dealer involved and try to get to the bottom of this. You may have one of the early production models shipped before the line realized there was an issue with cupboard door clearance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
LuvsPalmTrees

Fufys - I'm going to put my slide out and take a picture of how my pantry and entertainment center doors open. I might not be able to do this until the weekend. I will post them and let me know if yours are the same. Mine was built in 2012.5 (the switch over to 2013). Let me know if yours looks like mine.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Fufys

Unhappy Slide problems 294RK

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. We have been working with our dealer and two reps from Keystone. The only answer I am getting is that the slide is working as designed and that they are sorry for any inconvenience. The slide is a cable style and it appears that the slide valance is hitting the motor and stopping about 1 1/2 inches from the wall. We are concerned that there may be a problem with the slide leaking in a blowing rain. I personally drove to a dealership in Ft. Worth and inspected 2 units built close to the date of mine and they were the same as mine. There is no way to adjust the slide, I think that it was a design change without any engineering input. I guess that we are just stuck with our inconvenience!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Little Guy

Wow…that sums. The pantry cabinet is used more than any other in the rig.
It sure sounds like Keystone messed up on this change.
*Wishin' for a diesel*

Life is good!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Little Guy

Wow…that suks. The pantry cabinet is used more than any other in the rig.
It sure sounds like Keystone messed up on this change.
*Wishin' for a diesel*

Life is good!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufys View Post
There is no way to adjust the slide, I think that it was a design change without any engineering input. I guess that we are just stuck with our inconvenience!
Have you looked at the possibility of modifying your pantry/entertainment center doors so that they will open? There may be something that you can do to widen the cabinet facing, reduce the width of the cabinet door, and relocate the hinges.

If there is a cabinet maker near you, he might have some ideas how you can make this work so that you are not "just stuck with our inconvenience". There may be a solution to this problem!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

There may be a way to modify the valance (fascia) above the slide so the slide can move out further. I wouldn't try it yourself, but you might suggest to the dealer that he look for a way to build a "box" in the upper valance to surround the motor. This would make additional space for the slide to move out further. Then, a simple adjustment of the cable assemblies would allow the slide movement. The box could be constructed of matching wood, crown molding and trim so it matches what's already there.

This would, of course only be possible if the sides of the slide are constructed in such a way that they will move out further. Our bedroom slide is the cable type and the sides are built in such a way that when the slide stops (allowing for motor space) there is wood trim that goes almost all the way to the trailer side wall. This effectively closes that space sealing the slide against the trailer wall.

I'm not sure if this is even a remote possiblilty in your situation as I haven't seen the slide and how it's constructed, but it might be something to consider...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #14
Fufys

Slide problem on 294

I thought of the same thing about cutting out for the motor, but the motor is not in the center where the Laredo logo is located. I have to return to the dealership for additional warranty work in a couple of weeks and will suggest that they check out that option. The small slide in the bedroom is also a cable slide and it works properly sealing up against the trailer wall, so I am puzzled that Keystone says that the large slide is designed in the manner that it doesn't seal against the wall. I have posted a few pictures showing the slide. Thanks for your input. Hugh
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
294RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufys View Post
We are having an issue with Keystone concerning a major problem with the large slide on our trailer. the slide doesn't open fully and the pantry and entertainment doors do not open all the way due to striking the slide. This appears to be a problem with the newer made 2014 units. The slide when opened lacks about 2" to seal against the trailer wall. Our dealership is working with us to resolve the problem, if possible, but Keystone only keeps telling us that the slide is working as designed. I find it hard to believe anyone would design purposely a unit that the doors would not open. All of the older pictures on line as well as the online brochure clearly shows that the doors are fully opened. I have been to other dealers that have trailers built about the same time as ours and they all have the same problem. We ordered the trailer since there was not one in inventory and noted on our walk through the problem with the slide. If you know anyone looking a the Laredo 294RK, please tell them to check the pantry doors!
Just took delivery of a 294RK. I have the same problem with the slide out . Have you gotten anywhere with a fix for it?

thank you
294Rk
294RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Fufys

slide on 294rk

I am sad to say that we have not been able to get any resolution to our slide problem from Keystone or our dealer. We feel that we will never be completely satisfied with our 294 and decided to trade it in on a 5th wheel. I feel like if enough owners of the newer 294rk's complain, maybe Keystone will do something. Kudos to our dealership, Southern RV in Tyler, Texas that has been working with us with Keystone, and for giving us a fair trade in price knowing the problems we have been having. I wonder about the quality control at the Laredo plant. The labels on our front black and grey tanks were reversed at the factory, small "mistake" but could cause a stinky situation. This is our first (and last) Keystone product good luck with yours! Hugh
Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
jtpan

Just got back from the fall RV show here and discussed this very thing with the Keystone Rep while sitting in the Laredo trailer. He stated that the slide was completely out and that this was as far as the doors were designed to open. I think it's a flaw due to a design change in the slide operator and they just don't want to admit it. Hopefully it will be corrected with the next model change which is what I will wait for. I also have a problem with them only providing space for only one single battery in the rack. Rep stated you could install a double box on top of the frame rails, but then it will make removing the propane tanks very difficult to remove and reinsert, especially when full. Another reason I'm waiting for the next version of this floor plan unless I find something else sooner.
jtpan is offline   Reply With Quote