Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
slider

Cargo door holder

As I am removing decals from the camper I have removed the outdoor grill bracket, that I never used and made washing the camper more difficult.

I am also going to remove the crappy door holders that have literally caused me several headaches. They also look bad from yellowing and are something else to make camper harder to clean.

I looked this weekend for some locking hinges or some gas shock type openers, but for now I think I am going to try this simple fix:

The trick will be tethering them to something inside the cargo area so they don't get used for something else and not available when I need them.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like your "work around" is a pretty good "temp fix" but I'd be cautious of using clamps as door props for any longer than necessary. They will scratch the door or possibly crimp it if any wind comes along and causes them to shift.

You can buy a can of Krylon plastic paint that pretty well matches the Arctic white color of your camper and spray the yellowing plastic, or simply buy new accessories that are white painted metal. The new Cougar fifth wheels have a plastic enclosed magnet that is screwed to the RV sidewall. Simply open the cargo door completely and when it gets into "full open" position, the magnet attracts the metal rim of the door and holds it securely until you pull it away from the magnet. No moving parts and a brush slides right across it when washing. Take a look at one of the new Cougar fifth wheels next time you're around a dealership. You might find they are a better answer than gas props or locking hinges.

I wouldn't depend on spring clamps to do the job long term.

How does the paint look where you've removed decals? Is it significantly brighter than the rest of the RV?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
slider

Thanks for that, the magnets sound like they might be the ticket. Also appreciate the heads up,on damage clamps could cause, I wouldnt leave there there long most of the time, but could see where if I did it xould be bad.

The paint is pristine where decals were, slightly discolored elsewhere, couldn't tell it if I had not removed decals.

When I'm done, I'm giving it the Meguiars 105/205 combo which is supposed to be magic, we'll see.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
wbdvt

Pictures of before and after with the decal removal would be nice. Also the finish details on removing the outdoor grill bracket. How did you finish the holes left?
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
slider

I'll continue that on the thread I got started in the repair and maint forum.