Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
RandallCothren

Bedroom AC not working

We have a 2018 39 ft. Keystone front bath 5th wheel. We love the RV. We were in the Florida Keys where it gets hot enough to need both AC units at the same. I turned on the upstairs unit has it was a new rig for us we had left a very cold area and had not needed air conditioner at all until now.

I turned on the air conditioner and it came on and in about 2 minutes it would cut off.

This was disturbing and I thought maybe the air conditioning compressor was overheating or defective. I called the manufacturer which is Dometic and asked questions.

They told me that it was under warranty for two years so I was gold. Then I mentioned that was the second owner and they said no you don't have any warranty that only is valid for the original owner. Keep in mind we bought the rig at 9 months old so its pretty much brand new. So that kind of stinks so I didn't have much choice except to call someone.

I called the mobile RV. company which is $100 an hour. He really worked on it diligently trying to figure it out. He was up on the roof. He thought it was a bad circuit board, he did this and he did that and then finally 2 hours later he ask me if this was one of those units that sends heat pump air or air conditioner air down to the bottom compartment where the storage is. I said as a matter of fact yes it is. We took the thermostat off the wall and Ice Cold Air was pouring out of the wall. This means Keystone thought this would be a really great place to put the thermostat. As it turns out that they send air conditioning air down to a hollow wall to the downstairs storage area and fully condition the storage compartments. I like to think that this is done in the winter to keep things from freezing. Regardless the thermostat is mounted on this hollow wall section so 50° air is being blasted against the back of the thermostat terminals and the sensor. This is why it runs for about 2 minutes and then cuts off. We took the screws out of the thermostat and let it hang from the wire temporarily and the problem was solved. Eventually I had to move the thermostat over 6in and the problem has never come back Shame on Keystone for not knowing this and I wanted anybody to benefit from my experience. Keep in mind I had to pay the repair guy 250.00 to learn this. I wish they would reimburse me. I need to send this note to their engineering dept.

Randall
RandallCothren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom