Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
alelka

Service Contract

Hello all,

With so much down time I started wondering about my service contract that I purchased when I bought my 2017 Keystone 32RESWE. The company is StarRV. Our trailer is stored at the lake where we camp. According to the this contract, "You must maintain your unit according to the manufacturer's recommendations as outline in the owner's manual." I read the manual for my unit but the recommendations are pretty generic, more of a pre trip check list. The contract asks that you prove that you have done the work but most of what I read is inspection, no receipts for that. Any ideas?
alelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a "catch 22" with most aftermarket extended warranty programs.

As an example, the Dometic refrigerator owner's manual requires annual inspections (performed by a licensed service center) to be documented to keep the OEM Dometic warranty in effect after the first 12 months.

There are similar "component owner's manual inspections/maintenance actions" that are required by other component manufacturers....

Some (not all) aftermarket extended warranty programs not only require the "Keystone maintenance/inspections" but also require the "component maintenance/inspection actions"....

Following the "generic inspection checklist" in the Keystone Owner's Manual may (or may not) meet the requirements for your "not Keystone affiliated extended warranty"... Read the small print very VERY carefully on your extended warranty document to see exactly what they require. Some ignore component manufacturer requirements, some reject claims if those same actions are not documented.... Only your extended warranty contract will give you that information.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Roscommon48

I guess the only way you'll find out if someting is covered is to file a claim. good luck. aren't you suppose to also have an annual inspection to keep the coverage too? contracts are a waste of money, my opinion and consumers report.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Huntme

not worth the paper they are typed or a written on.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntme View Post
not worth the paper they are typed or a written on.

Sometimes the highlighted comment may be right, but not always. I'm not a fan of extended warranties and had never bought one on anything I've ever owned....until the last trailer we had. Bought it because things are just getting so much more technical and complicated plus my ability to lay, crawl, twist etc. has diminished greatly in the last several years. So, I bought it. Figured it was money thrown away until the end of last summer; developed a leak coming from under the trailer. Dealer determined it was a bad galley tank. Replaced it under extended warranty - 3100. I paid my deductible and the amount covered by the warranty actually covered what I paid for the plan, so not a bad deal in that instance.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
GHen

As long as the contract didn’t cost you $3500...but it could have been worse,

I bought an extended warranty also, against my better judgment. Knock on wood..not one warranty issue yet...

2017 291rsts.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote