Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Shea

New Camper!

Hi all!
I’m new here and I’m about to purchase a 2019 Hideout 318LHS. My tow vehicle is a 2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4, 5.3L V8 with the 3.42 gear ratio. From my research I’m capable of towing 9,200 lbs. So I’m at the upper end of what she can tow. Just wondering if anyone else out there has bought this model yet and how you like it. I would appreciate any feedback!
Thanks everyone and safe travels!!!
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Retired Copper

At close to 36 feet long, appx. 7700 lbs dry and dry tongue weight of 900lbs, is a lot of camper. 36 feet long is a lot of wind sail for a 1/2 truck to handle I would not pull it. Good luck on your search.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Shea, welcome. Dont have your trailer, so cant answer your question. I am sure you'll be able to make some great memories.

I did have a 2015 1500 with same equipment as yours pulling similar sized trailer. It can be done but was not fun. As said, that's a lot of sail behind you. One thing I should have done was change TV tires from the OEM tires. That would have helped and made a better experience. I opted to get a 3500 SRW Duramax instead.

Not trying to Debbie Downer your post, just sharing real world outcomes.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
hornet28

IMHO too much trailer or too little truck
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
maccam1

shea

i have a 2018 silverado 1500,with max trailering,also a 2016,towing cap of 11,000 lbs
my tt is a 2018 cougar 1/2 ton 32rli..
i have no problem at all towing..
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That's a "bull dog trailer" behind a "toy poodle truck".... It may "bark and growl with the big guys" but when it comes to packing a big bone out back and getting it buried, well........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Shea

You guys have me concerned now. I was initially worried about the weight and of course the salesman said it would be fine. I figured he’d say anything to make a sale. So I decided to consult with my Chevy dealership and they told me that I shouldn’t have anything to worry about even after we add in our gear as it can handle up to 9,100 lbs. But now I’m wondering if I need to rethink the whole thing....
Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Logan X

I don’t mean to pile on, but another number you want to look at is your trucks payload capacity. It’s is listed on the yellow sticker inside the drivers door. That number is the max your truck can carry including all passengers, cargo, and the trailers hitch weight. When loaded, your trailers hitch weight will probably be over 1000 pounds. If you are traveling with a spouse and kids, that is another 400-600 pounds. Plus any cargo (ice chest, bikes, firewood, hitch, tools, etc), you may be pushing the trucks payload capacity.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

I think there are some good RV sales folks out there, that will honestly tell you how much you can safely tow with your truck, but I've not met any yet. The truck dealers aren't motivated in the same way as your RV dealer, but I think they just don't know (in general).

We had a 1/2 ton tow vehicle which based on the max tow weight seemed to be adequate for our trailer. We quickly realized it wasn't - that's when we came here and began getting advice and training from all the great knowledgeable folks here. We've since traded our 1/2-ton in for a 1-ton truck. Much better now.

There's more to what it takes to tow than just the max vehicle weight, so listen to the advise and make your decision.

Good luck - and good for you for asking.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
crk112

There is something to be said for surface area... it's no exaggeration when people compare these trailers to a "sail". Even with a nice cushion between your trailer weight and your max tow, you're at the mercy of the air and wind. The lighter the truck and shorter the wheelbase, the more so you are.

I know how excited you must be right now, about to buy the first camper and you can't wait to get it out there! It's a very exciting time and you want everything to go well so you can jump right in. I don't like adding to the discouragement but I'd hate even more for you to have a bad experience or worse, an accident.

Your truck could haul a couple or three pallets of bricks on a trailer without breaking a sweat... but with that TT you've also got an enormous surface area to pull through the air which has a much bigger impact on your tow experience than you might expect. Side winds, large vehicles passing you, turbulence, and just pulling even on a calm-wind day.. you're really gonna feel that 36-foot TT and it will push your truck around. Not a fun experience and you'll grow to dread pulling it anywhere (or worse, develop an unrecoverable sway and have an accident).

(Also, others have touched on your vehicle payload capacity, that's worth your time to investigate as well. After your hitch and tongue weights, you'll run out pretty fast depending on how much you pack.)

I'm glad you took the dealer's word with a grain of salt... With some campers it's misleading to advertise them as "half-ton campers" but it's all about sales. If the numbers "line up" that's all they look at but there's more to it than simple math.

I'd encourage you to take a look at some floor plans in the 24-28 foot range and see if there's something you like. Even with two kids and two dogs we are comfortable in our 26-foot Hideout. Plus the weights of these trailers will give you more of that valuable "cushion" between that and your tow vehicle limit. Alternatively perhaps it's a good time to check out a truck upgrade?

RVing is about having fun and we want you to have fun just as much as you do! This is quite a friendly and informative place and the folks here share their experiences in hopes you'll have a better experience.

I hope we haven't discouraged you too much... please keep us posted on your journey !!
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
travelin texans

This has been said A LOT on here!
Dry rv weights, tongue/hitch/trailer, mean ABSOLUTELY nothing to the rv buyer, that's what they weighed coming off the assembly line & will NEVER EVER weigh that little again. Same as the max tow weight of your tv, you'll almost always exceed the max payload long before you'll tow max weight. Unfortunately the rv industry has deceived a lot of buyers with their "half ton towable" misadvertising & neither rv nor truck dealers know or care about what you can/can't tow, selling is their goal.
Use the GVW of the rv times 20% to get a VERY reasonable hitch weiht for a 5th wheel plus the weight of the hitch, people, & anything in or added to your truck & compare that to the payload of your tv then you'll have honest numbers to work with.
Unfortunately I'd have to agree with others here, too much rv & not enough truck.
If by chance you go with this rv & upgrade trucks, go with the 3500 not the 2500, not much difference in the ride & very little difference in price.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Shea, good on you for double checking on your potential purchase. So many make the purchase then ask the important questions. Here is a link to the specs of the proposed RV:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

I hate to sound like everyone is piling on but I think you can get the jist that you are biting off more than the truck, or you, will be comfortable with.

Note that the gvw of the trailer is 9700 lbs. (shipping weight + carrying capacity) which is the number you need to use for calculations. Your max truck tow weight is 9200 lbs. so that is exceeded already. The "loaded" tongue weight of that trailer should be calculated using the gvw (9700lbs) x .12 (12%) = 1164 lbs. This is about as close as your going to get when guesstimating.

Hopefully your trailer won't be loaded to gvw which would be stretching things as well, but you need to figure that because at some point you might and you have to be prepared for that. To that 1164 add 100lbs for the wdh = 1264lbs. Now look at the sticker inside your driver door and see what the payload is for your truck. Subtract the 1264 from that and see where you are. Whatever is left is the max you could have loaded into/onto the truck; people, gear, tools, ice chests, toys, bbq grill, etc. Personally, I take the payload on the sticker and reduce it by 15% to give me a little bit of safety margin and try to stay around that number. But, I have been in the exact same predicament as you with almost the same loading numbers and I can assure you that although "pulling" the trailer was not a problem, "handling" the trailer was not fun except on straight roads with no traffic - not ideal for traveling.

The "sales" folks at both RV dealerships or truck dealerships are usually, unfortunately, totally ignorant of what is required for a truck to safely tow (pull plus carry) an RV. The sales person just wants to make a sale, after that you might as well ask a glass blower how to set the timing on a '83 Jeep CJ7 (mine ) - won't have any idea.

Hope this doesn't sound like you're being "blasted" or anything like that. This is a great, knowledgeable and helpful bunch that truly does have your best interests in mind and hope to help you avoid making the same mistakes that many/most of us have had to pay for in the past. Hope you stick around and ask questions. If you do decide to go with you initial route, please post back here so that we can give you options for a safer experience. That large of a trailer on the back of an untouched 1/2 ton will not only be miserable, but generally dangerous. And yes, there will be some that say they do it all the time with no problems...tain't so. Usually simply because they have no reference (I was one at one time). Keep us posted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
GMcKenzie

For comparison, I have a trailer with a gross loaded weight rating of 8,200 lbs (and I've hit that per scales). My truck has a max trailering package and 10,800 pound trailer limit. I'm at my max payload (2015) with my trailer. I would not tow anything heavier with a 1/2 ton, and mine is set up well from the factory.

If you are a GM guy, the new 2020 3/4 ton's look really interesting.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
Shea

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I’ve been on the phone with the Chevy dealer and the RV dealer all day. Both of them are giving me the green light and I’ve brought up a lot of these concerns. The RV dealer is saying that the hitch/weight distribution/sway bar that I’m getting will take 30% of the weight off of the tuck and distribut it throughout the coach? He said that he has a lighter weight coach that is priced similar that we could check out but we some of the beds. But he’s been “assured” by his techs/service manager that I’ll have no problems with my truck after they looked up all of my specs and that it will be safe to tow. He said the big difference will be the speed in which I can travel. He said those size trailers are rated for 65 mph so my SD trips will take longer since I shouldn’t be doing the 80 mph speed limit. Unless of course I swap out the OEM tires on the coach. My current camper is just a 4500# Jayco Jay Feather 23B hybrid so this is uncharted territory for me. Why do these things have to be so difficult lol!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
My current camper is just a 4500# Jayco Jay Feather 23B hybrid so this is uncharted territory for me. Why do these things have to be so difficult lol!!!
First off - I love your user name.

Similarly, my previous trailer was a hybrid of similar weight and length. I did some of the same research you are doing now and was not content with what the numbers showed (for a 3030BH of similar length and weight that you are looking into) regardless of what the service people told me.

It sounds like you have not finalized either deal yet, so I would also recommend going up in truck size or down in camper size.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Shea, the folks you are talking to don't know what they are talking about. If a wdh increased the payload of the truck why wouldn't your owner's manual say that? It doesn't. Why wouldn't the manufacturer of the wdh tell you that? They don't. That's because it doesn't. The folks advising you here actually tow real rvs with real trucks and know of what they speak. Your dealers are apparently clueless and certainly don't have your wellbeing in mind.

Here's a couple of things you need to do with both dealerships and their management;

First ask the service managers and those telling you all is OK to list the type of trailer they have, what they pull it with and how many miles they tow yearly. That will eliminate 90-100% of the "experts" advising you. Whatever the answer you receive, you have far more experience and knowledge talking to you here than they will possibly have.

Secondly, tell them that you have received extensive advice about the dangers this combination poses due to being overweight but you are taking their advice that you are going to be fine physically and legally. But, you want a written, notarized document from each dealer specifying that you will be legal in all weight categories when the trailer is loaded to gvw and that they will be responsible for any accidents, citations or other issues arising from being overweight. - Not gonna happen. Why? Because they are wrong and know they are (or maybe the "ones" saying don't but I assure you their legal dept. won't back them).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
travelin texans

Tell both those dealers you've got some ocean front property in Arizona with a great view, no problem walking right into the water!
Same thing their trying to sell you.
Which one or both have said "you'll be able to tow anything on the lot with that truck, NO PROBLEM!.
I'm sorry, but both are doing their very best to sell you something you'll regret down the road & spoil a great experience.
As I said earlier, skip the new 2020 2500 & go with the 3500, then in a couple years when you look to upgrade you'll have more wiggle room.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
Carrottop

I have to agree with the group here. I tow with an F-150 and feel that it can be done safely with certain trailers. I know the majority of the group here will and do disagree with me, the general Conesus is to always go to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I have to say though that your combination made me cringe. That is a lot of trailer behind a light duty truck. With those weights I cannot see how you would ever be under your Payload capacity and GAWR. My trailer is only 29ft long and dry weight of 4800lbs with a GVR of 7000 and I would not dream of anything bigger with my 1/2 ton. Regardless of what the salesmen are telling you I think you need to rethink this. At a minimum have the RV dealer hook that trailer up to your truck before you buy it and take it for a good long drive on the highway, that alone will convince you that this is an ill conceived idea.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
Shea

So given all of these responses, I'm seriously rethinking this TT. Interested to see what the group recommends as a good "ballpark" weight range for my TV. Just to clarify, I have owned my truck for over a year and my cousin was my salesman and is my contact person. Hate to believe that they would steer me wrong, but maybe they just aren't as educated in this area.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
Retired Copper

Shea what is the payload on your yellow sticker?
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote