Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Vinnie

Where to put internal EMS?

2020 Fuzion 429 Toy Hauler
Progressive 50a hardwired EMS

I didn't want to risk losing a big investment with an external EMS at $300+, so I got the internal one. Problem is, where do I put it? The spot where the 50a cord plugs into the side of the camper (is that called the "mouse hole?") is on the side of the garage, below the decking, and goes into a tiny metal box I can't easily access before disappearing into the coroplast underbelly. I may be able to access that box by removing one of the tie-down cleats, but that's just a guess.

I can also access the area under the galley drawers where the breaker/fuse box is, but it seems super tight in there. There is a single large black cable in that space among all the other smaller white/colored wires, but I'm not sure if that's the one I want to splice the EMS into, or if it has to be earlier in the line. Benefit is that's where the inCommand controller is (on an adjacent exterior wall) so having the display near there would be logical.

I can try to grab wire-jumble pics if necessary, but advice and experiences are appreciated!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can find the transfer switch, put it on the LOAD side. The single wire coming OUT of the switch and INTO the breaker panel. It’s probably in the basement, behind the rear wall of the storage area.

Did you get the remote display? If so the phone cord will allow you to put it just about anywhere.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Vinnie

OK- I know where that is, and it's pretty tight in there, but I might be able to squeeze my zoftig self into the wide part. The transfer switch is right in the area where the basement starts to narrow, so it'll be fun.

I can get a better shot of it, but would the load side be the wire coming out of the right side, or the top (super low clearance before it runs into the floor above it), or is there no real uniformity to allow for mounting flexibility?

I got one that has the display with the cord, and apparently can support a second display as well. The basement is right under the master bath/bed area, so I guess I could fish the display up into the stairs area, where there's already tank heater switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210611_200358.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	34131  
Old 06-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
Vinnie

I'm reading the install manual on that transfer switch right now, so I'm answering some of the technical questions myself. I'll just have to pull the cover, see how it's wired, and maybe adjust the mounting location if that's possible.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:34 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I'm reading the install manual on that transfer switch right now, so I'm answering some of the technical questions myself. I'll just have to pull the cover, see how it's wired, and maybe adjust the mounting location if that's possible.
It would be helpful to know the brand of your EMS, Progressive and Southwire have different mounting requirements.

The Progressive unit has cable clamps as part of the unit, the Southwire unit doesn't have built in cable clamps and the wire needs to secured within 7" of the unit, and the unit needs to secured in a certain orientation.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

The external EMS with a bicycle lock is probably starting to sound like a good idea about now bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It would be helpful to know the brand of your EMS, Progressive and Southwire have different mounting requirements.

The Progressive unit has cable clamps as part of the unit, the Southwire unit doesn't have built in cable clamps and the wire needs to secured within 7" of the unit, and the unit needs to secured in a certain orientation.
He's got a Progressive.. I installed mine behind the distribution center on my last 5th wheel... just popped the unit out and there was just enough room for the Progressive to fit... I bought 4 ft of cable from HD..

On this one the back of the distribution center is open in the basement so it was an easy reach.. bought another 4 foot of cable from HD.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
Vinnie

When you say "distribution center," what are you referring to?
Old 06-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
When you say "distribution center," what are you referring to?
The box with all the wires, fuses and breakers come together... that is where the 50 amp wiring is going after it leaves the transfer switch.. just disconnect it from the distribution center, then hook it to the EMS and use a short piece of wire back to the distribution center from the EMS .. easy as pie...
Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
NJ High Country

I installed my progressive industries behind the breaker panel. If you open it up, you'll see it's spilt, a 120v side and a 12v side. The big black wire is the feed. I spliced mine inline. There was plenty of wire to work with. It's quite a project installing it there (very tight space to work in), but the final result is clean. I like to see each leg on the monitor so see the draw as each appliance is running.
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
Vinnie

I might have some room back there to floor mount it under the jumble of wires. Easy enough to pull it out of that cavity for access?

The "black wire:" that's what, like 6 gauge, 4-conductor cord or something?
Old 06-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
I installed my progressive industries behind the breaker panel. If you open it up, you'll see it's spilt, a 120v side and a 12v side. The big black wire is the feed. I spliced mine inline. There was plenty of wire to work with. It's quite a project installing it there (very tight space to work in), but the final result is clean. I like to see each leg on the monitor so see the draw as each appliance is running.
That was kinda my initial plan, after getting confirmation I was looking at the right wire. But I'm a big fella that's not so good down low, and that's a tiny little space tucked under a drawer on the floor... oof. Sounds like extra pain meds on install day
Old 06-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #13
NJ High Country

That's how I did mine- floor mount. I'm 6'4" 270 so I got a good shoulder workout. It's the heaviest wire in the bunch to the 120v side. Just make sure you will have enough existing wire to work with before you cut it. Consider if you have to replace it down the road that it will be accessible, basically unmounting it to move it closer for work space. Also, I disconnected my negative battery cable so nothing could operate or arc out while working in there.
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
B-O-B'03

My trailer is only 30 amp, but I was able to mount mine behind the power center.

There was enough slack in the wire to just cut it and add the EMS.

There was a wire chase in the side wall of the pantry so I ran the remote wire down that and I added an extra outlet while I was at it.

Good luck.

-Brian
Old 06-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
I might have some room back there to floor mount it under the jumble of wires. Easy enough to pull it out of that cavity for access?

The "black wire:" that's what, like 6 gauge, 4-conductor cord or something?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...9199/204725137
Old 06-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #16
bobbecky

When I installed our EMS, I just got a length of 6/3 Romex with ground from the big box store. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...oduct-overview This was the exact same cable that was run from the shore cord connection into the power center. I got lucky, didn't have to fight the install, as the power center was in the wall above the toilet and there was a load of room to work with. Our EMS is the Progressive, and one other thing I did was to get a couple of the copper set screw terminals for the ground wire, instead of using the large crimp style connectors that came with the EMS, that would only work with #6 wire, as the ground is #8. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Copper-M...B2-5/100141680
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMS-HW50C mounting location.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	34149   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS-HW50C ready to install.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	34150  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #17
Vinnie

Thanks y'all. If I can do it without making a bigger mess, I'll add my pics to the pile!
Old 06-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #18
Vinnie

Ok, so I'm not going to put it behind the breaker box:

Just too tight in there, though it would be a good place for the display
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210622_183340.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	34235  
Old 06-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #19
Vinnie

So, "ceiling" mounted in the basement seems the way to go. It's a bit of a squeeze between the plumbing partition wall and the mount location of the transfer switch, with it's cheap plastic wiring protection (?) panel. Do you think it's appropriate to cut into that panel a couple inches to move it slightly away from the plumbing partition?

I can go grab 4 feet or so of the 50a cable to run between the two, so it's a nice easy non-strained install. Will have me on my back for a bit. If I can find the fore bathroom sink plumbing behind that panel, I might be able to run the display up the wall to where the tank heater switches and some "Jaboni" access panel is already.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210622_182506.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	34236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210622_183621.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	34237   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210622_183237.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	34238  
Old 06-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #20
Vinnie

As I continue this conversation with myself... The cable to the control panel- in fact, all the cables in the transfer switch- were screwed in with some ridiculous Herculean strength! I can't undo them to free the cable without stripping the screws. Stopping just short of that, I need to find a better tool.